Author Topic: Gutters and Fixing siding/roofing  (Read 272 times)

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
Gutters and Fixing siding/roofing
« on: January 12, 2022, 11:46:12 AM »
Hi all,

Wanted to get some feedback on the order of repairs when we have some areas of stucco behind/under the existing gutters that we know are deteriorating. The roofer is saying to expect some damage behind the gutters and that he can help with waterproofing/sealing off the transition points between the siding and roof edge. We are likely going to replace our gutters - currently we have 5" and will prob just replace with 5" with some downspout reconfiguration. A few other companies who have come out to quote have all been suggesting 6" gutters but the last guy who gave me a quote for 5" was saying he really doesn't think 6" is necessary in our situation. Obviously it's lower cost going with 5" and I've heard some of the pros and cons (6" can hold more water and carry away more of it + debris, etc. On the flipside, they can also hold more water and put more stress on your siding, etc). Not sure what to make of all that but I'm planning on collecting one more quote before deciding. That said, if there are issues with the siding and roofing that need to be corrected, how should I best coordinate this with the roofer and gutter company? Should I have the gutter company come out to remove the gutters and line my roofer up to do the repairs ASAP right after before having the new gutters put back up? I asked my roofer and he said to just have the new gutters installed and he would work around whatever they do. My concern is if there's damage to actual siding that needs to be corrected. Last thing I'd want is to have the roofer or some other contractor removing and or messing with the new gutters to do their repairs. Seems cleaner to have the gutters removed, do any repairs, and get the new ones back up but I know that can also be a logistics issue too (I figure the gutter company would want to knock out their work in one day versus having to make two trips out). Have any of you had to deal with both these kinds of issues? And what was the order/steps taken for the removal, repairs and installation?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Gutters and Fixing siding/roofing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 12:27:14 PM »
The roofers dented my gutters by accident. So, maybe top down? Roof, gutter, siding? And the gutter people fix the fascia as needed when they do the gutters.

Unless siding and gutters are the same contractor, so they can do both. I would try for that actually. Roofers, depends on the contractor.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 12:31:08 PM »
The roofers dented my gutters by accident. So, maybe top down? Roof, gutter, siding? And the gutter people fix the fascia as needed when they do the gutters.

Unless siding and gutters are the same contractor, so they can do both. I would try for that actually. Roofers, depends on the contractor.

The next company I'm having out does roofing AND gutters apparently, so I plan on getting their take on it too.

Our roofer seemed to be telling us to deal with the gutters first - it sounds like a catch-22 because he won't know what's wrong until the gutters are removed. I hate this "pass-the-buck" game between contractors but I guess it's the nature of things.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:18:10 PM »
If you have a do it all shop come out, the order they're going to do things will most likely look like this:

- Remove gutters
- Roof
- Siding
- Replace gutters

sonofsven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 08:34:36 PM »
If you have a do it all shop come out, the order they're going to do things will most likely look like this:

- Remove gutters
- Roof
- Siding
- Replace gutters

Yes that.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 07:40:33 AM »

- Remove gutters
- Roof
- Siding
- Replace gutters

It sounds like this is the most ideal way to do it. I asked our roofer again and he said just have them replace the gutters and they'll do the fixes after but I'd be wary of that per Sibley's experience. It's tough finding companies that do both. I've only come across two so far and one had to back out on their scheduled estimate due to the entire office being exposed to COVID :(

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 12:53:20 PM »

The next company I'm having out does roofing AND gutters apparently, so I plan on getting their take on it too.

Our roofer seemed to be telling us to deal with the gutters first - it sounds like a catch-22 because he won't know what's wrong until the gutters are removed. I hate this "pass-the-buck" game between contractors but I guess it's the nature of things.

My experience is that it is not just between contractors. I've had multiple contractors on multiple projects do the "only quote what we can see".

An example, we had a flashing failure where our deck is attached to our house. We had several contractors out and all would only quote what they could see while noting that once they start work they might find more. What they could see was fix the flashing and replace the sheathing, but I knew and I suspect every one of them knew the entire wall below, including framing, would have to be replaced (that's why I decided to hire it out). Sure enough the second they opened the wall I get a call at work that is was "worse than the quote".

yachi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 12:58:56 PM »

- Remove gutters
- Roof
- Siding
- Replace gutters

It sounds like this is the most ideal way to do it. I asked our roofer again and he said just have them replace the gutters and they'll do the fixes after but I'd be wary of that per Sibley's experience. It's tough finding companies that do both. I've only come across two so far and one had to back out on their scheduled estimate due to the entire office being exposed to COVID :(

If you aren't trying to save and preserve your existing gutters, and are getting *new* gutters anyway, I think you should have whoever needs access behind them do the removal.  A roofer is more than capable of removing gutters.  So is a siding guy.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 06:51:17 AM »
Three years ago I had my entire roof redone with the existing gutters in place. After they finished the roof, I had the gutters completely replaced all in one short day by a different contractor.  If the siding people say they can work around them, I would take them at their word and have my roof done first, followed by gutters and then the siding.

But the caveat is that I live in an area where everyone has basements and no gutters equals a wet basement which is no bueno when most of it is finished. I haven't seen you mention a basement in your other posts and if your house is on a slab, you could probably get away with no gutters for a time without much damage to the siding.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 10:38:16 AM »
Three years ago I had my entire roof redone with the existing gutters in place. After they finished the roof, I had the gutters completely replaced all in one short day by a different contractor.  If the siding people say they can work around them, I would take them at their word and have my roof done first, followed by gutters and then the siding.

But the caveat is that I live in an area where everyone has basements and no gutters equals a wet basement which is no bueno when most of it is finished. I haven't seen you mention a basement in your other posts and if your house is on a slab, you could probably get away with no gutters for a time without much damage to the siding.

No basement here - the concern though is having water spill over the sides of the roof and into parts of our hard that shouldn't have water - if we get another heavy rain and I don't have gutters in place, very likely we'll see flooding. Especially with our place not landscaped and exposed dirt up against the house. The last heavy rain we had it was a complete nightmare - there was literally a moat around the side of our house

- Remove gutters
- Roof
- Siding
- Replace gutters

If you aren't trying to save and preserve your existing gutters, and are getting *new* gutters anyway, I think you should have whoever needs access behind them do the removal.  A roofer is more than capable of removing gutters.  So is a siding guy.

Good point - I'll ask my roofer but he seemed a bit 'unwilling' to mess with the gutters and kept bouncing it back to having the gutter company do the work. He's a pretty good roofer (supposedly our neighbor used him and he was the only roofer they could find who resolved a leak in their roof after going through several roofers, and so the previous owners had him do work on the roof here and the info was just passed down to us) but he's a bit flakey - part of it is that he's not local to the area and he has been slammed busy especially after the wet weather. Even before that though, he hardly ever shows up when he says he will and ends up pushing it back by a week. So we might need to look around for another roofer who is a little better with that...