Author Topic: Gutter Separating from House  (Read 3239 times)

Mr. Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Gutter Separating from House
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:58:58 PM »
I’m wondering if this is something I can fix myself.  This is on the second story of my house.  I can see the gutter screws are pulling out of the fascia from behind the aluminum. 

The hole in the aluminum that I’ve highlighted in red in the 2nd picture does not go all the way through to the fascia.  There was no screw there mounting the gutter to the fascia.  I’m not sure why that hole is there and there’s a few others like it as well further down.  There are screws beneath that top sheet of aluminum that comes down from under the shingles that are screwed through to fasten the gutter to the fascia so the top of those screws are not viewable. 

I’m wondering if I could just get some self-piercing screws and install them through that existing hole, penetrate the aluminum sheet beneath, and re-fasten the gutter to the house that way.  I don’t know if that is perhaps not a good idea though if it might over time expose the fascia to more water by making a hole that goes through both sheets of aluminum. 

I’m not sure how else I would fix this by myself.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Gutter Separating from House
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 07:32:31 AM »
I don't know what the purpose of that hole is, but whenever I've reattached gutters, it's the fastener that goes through that cross brace which is supposed to cinch up the gutter to the fascia.  I suspect the screw in that crossbrace has pulled out of the fascia, and you'll probably need a longer version of that screw to get past the stripped portion of the fascia and into a more solid anchor point

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
the screw hole in the fascia has probably enlarged due to the vibration of the gutter shaking in the wind.  Or, the wood around the screwhole has rotted from chronic moisture. 

So, a fatter screw should work unless the wood is too far gone.  Caulk around the screw head when it is almost all the way home

Mr. Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:08:14 PM »
Awesome, thank you both very much.  I'm going to give those ideas a try.  Just got a quote today for $550 to do the repair so I'm motivated to see what I can do on my own.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 05:25:56 PM »
I had the same issue a little while ago. Push the gutter against the fascia and pin it with a few screws. It's under the eave so it's fine.

Mr. Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 05:43:03 PM »
Fantastic.  Thank you again all of you.  I had to order some 2" self-sealing screws and that secured the gutter to the fascia.  The ones in there were 1".  It seems very secure, but I could always add some more if it becomes and issue again.  Thank you!  A gutter repair company came out and quoted $550 to do the gutter and repitch it.  This seems to be the DIY solution for now so I saved a lot of $.  Much appreciated.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!