Author Topic: GOD DAMN F***ING CAT  (Read 23141 times)

themashedup1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
GOD DAMN F***ING CAT
« on: September 27, 2015, 05:32:47 PM »
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 09:26:00 PM by themashedup1 »

tomq04

• Stubble
Re: GOD DAMN F***ING CAT
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »
Declaw? or clip the tendons?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
Replace with un looped carpet.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »

Please don't do this, its very cruel and can cause additional behaviour problems. It is the equivalent of amputating a person's fingers up to their knuckles.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 06:49:02 PM »
Our cats are mostly ok at not clawing at stuff, but one cat likes to sharpen his claws on any upholstered chairs (although luckily not the couches). My solution for the chair in the spare room was to cover it completely in cheap towels which mostly discourages him and the towels take the brunt of any occasional scratching. Can you temporarily cover the stairs with towels or old blankets as a stop gap solution while you work out a more permanent solution?

Please don't do this, its very cruel and can cause additional behaviour problems. It is the equivalent of amputating a person's fingers up to their knuckles.

This. Glad you're not going to do this, but please, nobody do this to their cats.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »
There is a solution to cats and upholstery. Make fleece slipcovers. Fleece is very inexpensive, easy to sew, and in my experience completely impervious to cat claws. The slipcovers can come off to launder. I strongly recommend patterned fleece, because they love to nest in the stuff and the fur does not show up as much when there is a pattern.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »
First off, we give them something they like to scratch (sisal posts are good), but we also have a squirt bottle of water handy if we catch them doing something we'd like to discourage.  For while, they get wet. After that, just shaking the bottle is enough to make 'em dash off.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »
I had this exact same problem for 8 years.  The carpet in my house was a very cheap looped carpet.  I tried everything I could think of and those loops just seemed to magnetically attract my cats despite littering my house with scratching posts and trying to train away the behavior (spray bottle, etc).  The carpet had been on a list of things to replace when I'd originally bought the house, and I just replaced it...with a non-looped carpet that the cats completely leave alone. 

Good luck, maybe you will have better luck than I did. But if it's looped, there may be little you can do short of replacing.

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
Place a scratching post directly on top of the spot she scratches. Praise her for using it. Then once she's in the habit of using it gradually move it.

A water bottle (or temporarily, aluminum foil covering the surface) can dissuade a cat, but I find a nice alternative scratcher is usually more effective.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
Double sided tape applied to affected areas was recommended in another thread.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 05:15:06 PM »
Try reinstalling it with staples?

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
Try that green apple repellent spray?

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »
We have put these on our cats for about 4 years now. It's a good alternative to declawing and they only hate your for a few hours before getting used to it. Serves them right in my opinion :)

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Claws-Cats-System-Medium/dp/B00074W458

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »
Double sided tape applied to affected areas was recommended in another thread.

1+ for easiest.

Cheapest, if you have it, is to place a paper towel down there and sprinkle cayenne pepper all over it. She'll sniff it, possibly lick or bite it trying to get to her new 'toy'....and should stop right away. Milder negative reinforcement would be finely ground black pepper: same effect though.

For dog chewing/horse chewing: Dave's Insanity sauce. Just a few drops on the item being chewed will instantly stop the behavior. Would stain the crap out of carpet though.

adamj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »
Cats will scratch, so, get her something she can scratch. My cat has a scratching post wrapped in rope, and doesn't often scratch anything else. When she does, I pick her up and put her next to her post.

Trim her nails. This will reduce the damage she can do when she does scratch something other than her scratching post, and she won't snag your blankets (or skin) when she kneads. Just get a little pair of kitty nail trimmers from the pet store and snip the sharp tips off. Don't cut too deep (which would be like cutting your fingernails too short).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »
First, scratching is a perfectly normal behavior in a cat. It's how they shed old claws. Punishing them for it is like punishing a person for burping.

Provide plenty legal scratching targets, and use a variety of surfaces. Sisal, carpet, cardboard, etc. Cats will decide what they like and you'll know to provide it.  Encourage them to scratch on the legal surfaces, and discourage on the illegal surfaces. Positive reinforcement is your friend.

In addition, keeping the cat's claws trimmed will help. Get a pair of trimmers from the pet store, I've never found human style to work. Be careful not to cut the quick, as then you'll have a mess on your hands in addition to hurting the cat. You may have to do one paw at a time and then try again later, depends on the cat.

And yeah, loop carpet is awful with cats. Even if they're not scratching on it, their claws can catch on it and pull without meaning to.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »
FWIW, we've pretty much done all of the above. Got a bunch of possible scratch targets, tape-loops on all the furniture. Then squirt and shout when you catch her scratching the wrong things, and be nice to her when she scratches the right thing - petting or treats or whatever.

Ours eventually latched onto a cheap Home Depot rug. I mean literally latched on - she physically moves it around from all the clawing. It's gone from good shape to tatters in about a year, but what the hell, it's a $15 rug. She would've done a lot more damage than that to the furniture.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
Replace cat....

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
+1 for double-sided tape.  We used that to get our cat to stop scratching the couch - it worked great.  We also provided a couple of scratching posts.  We took the tape off after a couple of months, and that was years ago.  He hasn't touched the couch since.

risky4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
Try that green apple repellent spray?
Our cat was left at the shelter because it chewed up low voltage cords- got a bunch of ours until I applied this spray- thought I would have to keep applying it to be effective but one application totally solved the problem- never chewed another cord after first application. Amazing product. it should work on about any surface and seems invisible and odorless to humans. Give it a try.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »
Why in the world do people own cats?  I just don't get it. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Why in the world do people have kids?  I just don't get it.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 12:55:26 PM »
Why in the world do people have kids?  I just don't get it.

I don't mean pets generally, I mean cats specifically.  I understand the need for emotional connection that a pet brings, but it seems like you could get that same benefit from any number of other species that are less destructive and trouble.  In my observations, cats don't really even return your affection, they seem to view humans as suckers that provide food and shelter and fun stuff to play with and scratch up, like furniture. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 01:04:52 PM »
That has not been my experience. I have had both cats and dogs. I prefer cats. What I like about them: their independence, unique personalities, playfulness, affection. My cat Tess taps me on the arm every night at 11. She wants me to go to bed so she can curl up next to me. She likes to keep me within earshot. Based only on my own experience, dogs seem compelled to like humans. With cats, it's more of a choice. If they choose you, they are conferring an honor upon you.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »
That has not been my experience. I have had both cats and dogs. I prefer cats. What I like about them: their independence, unique personalities, playfulness, affection. My cat Tess taps me on the arm every night at 11. She wants me to go to bed so she can curl up next to me. She likes to keep me within earshot. Based only on my own experience, dogs seem compelled to like humans. With cats, it's more of a choice. If they choose you, they are conferring an honor upon you.

This. Sometimes I wish my 2 cats were less clingy and needy - it would make it easier to get stuff done! One cat is very bonded to me and the other to DH. Wherever we are in the house, one or both cats will be on our laps, next to us, talking to us, or "coincidentally" always a couple of feet away from us. They are also trainable. My cats respond to tone of voice and body language and often do what I tell them. Eg "get away from your brother, stop bothering him" or "leave that thing alone" or "off" to get them off my lap or a chair I want to sit on. Essentially they are like 3 year old kids, only quieter and more obedient than most 3 year olds.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »
Don't cats hate citronella as well?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »

Info above is good... especially to provide an allowed scratching site (sisal, or something similar).

In addition to that: Try Feliway.

There are 2 kinds I know of:  One looks like a plug in.  It provides a general "feel good" for the cats.  The second one is a spray.  You can put it on affected areas where you do not want them to scratch.

This totally sounds like some aromatherapy bullshit.  I know.  I was the world's biggest skeptic on this.  But it works.  It is a pheromone that really does calm them down.  One of our cats is extremely nervous and high strung.  Without Feliway, she and the other cat fight all day every day.  With Feliway, they're actually pretty good friends. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 04:57:51 PM »
Why in the world do people own cats?

Because they are delightful.

Any species can do damage. There are entire Internet sites devoted to pictures of "Stuff My Dog Chewed Up." I've had cats for 22 years. The first cat scratched my couch, which was right next to her cat door. When we moved, the couch wasn't near the cat door, and she left it alone. They've never destroyed anything else. Occasional poop/pee/barf can be cleaned up.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 06:07:08 PM »
In addition, keeping the cat's claws trimmed will help. Get a pair of trimmers from the pet store, I've never found human style to work. Be careful not to cut the quick, as then you'll have a mess on your hands in addition to hurting the cat. You may have to do one paw at a time and then try again later, depends on the cat.

This works for my two cats. They have no interest in scratching if their claws are trimmed. It is easy to avoid the quick on cats, because it is a very visible pink, and you just squeeze gently for the claw to show itself. Check out videos on you-tube for help before beginning.

One of my cats is very relaxed -- the other I wrap up in a towel, with just the paw I am working on showing. It is easier for everyone if you stay relaxed, though.

The bitter apply spray is to discourage chewing problems. I don't think it would be useful for this.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »

Toxoplasmosis Gondii.

You get it from cats and it actually changes your brain chemistry.  When it infects mice it makes them head towards cats and get eaten.  People are too big to get eaten, so the cat minimally tolerates it's parasite mind controlled slave.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »
I got one staring at me right now with evil intent.

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »
Great suggestions from everyone! I volunteer at the city shelter and we see cases like this all the time. Just remember that the cat does not automatically know he or she isn't supposed to claw at the rug/furniture/etc. The cat does not know why you are mad and certainly has no idea that s/he is the cause of your anger.

Hope that the solutions are helping. Can you provide an update?

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
There is a solution to cats and upholstery. Make fleece slipcovers. Fleece is very inexpensive, easy to sew, and in my experience completely impervious to cat claws. The slipcovers can come off to launder. I strongly recommend patterned fleece, because they love to nest in the stuff and the fur does not show up as much when there is a pattern.

You. Are. Genius.

I don't mean pets generally, I mean cats specifically.  I understand the need for emotional connection that a pet brings, but it seems like you could get that same benefit from any number of other species that are less destructive and trouble.  In my observations, cats don't really even return your affection, they seem to view humans as suckers that provide food and shelter and fun stuff to play with and scratch up, like furniture. 

I grew up with both cats and dogs. Dogs were responsible for probably 80% of the ruined things in our home. I as a child probably caused about 15% of the damage. The rest is pretty much just shit that happens. There were more stains on our carpet from spilled food than cat puke (both were usually covered by muddy paw print stains anyway). Not sure why you've had shitty experience with cats, but please don't think you speak for every one of them - all cats I know are loving and affectionate to their owners.

Most of my cats' training came through mini water guns (bad!) and catnip (good!). Scratching the furniture? Get sprayed with water. Scratching the scratching post? Good boy! Here's some catnip. I also only give them catnip or treats on things they can scratch - that way when they 'dig' to try and find more, it's okay.

Actual cat nail trimmers are best. I wouldn't go with one of the fancy sander type ones (like you would use for bigger dogs) because 1) it's just unnecessary and 2) it'll probably scare your cat anyway. Get them used to sitting on your lap and gently squeezing their paws (without the clipper) and they'll get used to it. My boys get huffy and try to pout after I finish, which lasts about 3 minutes until they want cuddles.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
Actual cat nail trimmers are best. I wouldn't go with one of the fancy sander type ones (like you would use for bigger dogs) because 1) it's just unnecessary and 2) it'll probably scare your cat anyway. Get them used to sitting on your lap and gently squeezing their paws (without the clipper) and they'll get used to it. My boys get huffy and try to pout after I finish, which lasts about 3 minutes until they want cuddles.

I often use regular "people" nail trimmers, they work just as well as anything else, maybe better. With tiny kitten nails, I prefer them.

As for feliway, I've heard mixed reviews. I think it depends on the cat, frankly.

Bajadoc

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »
I like cats.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:01 AM »
I like cats.

Agreed.  Properly prepared they can be quite tasty.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 08:01:20 AM »
The el cheapo carpet in our bedroom has met the same fate.

If they weren't so cute at times I'd boil them.

It's a very small amount of carpet, and since we've lived there for 8 years, our landlord isn't worried about it.  The upstairs and some missed litterbox incidents is another story.   They're friends and there is no formal lease, so I'll pay for it's replacement.  We get cheap enough rent that I find it worthwhile.

msnashstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
It made me giggle how you put *** on F***ING but not GD.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
If they weren't so cute at times I'd boil them.

My mantra is "I love my cats, I love my cats, I love my cats..." when they drive me nuts, which is roughly 50% of the time. The other 50% they're cute and cuddly, so it's worth it. But when one meows very loudly in my ear 20 minutes before my alarm because  his food bowl is "empty" (food is pushed to the side of the bowl, showing *GASP* bottom of the bowl!), I have to remind myself that he's adorable at least half the time.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 12:49:36 PM »
But when one meows very loudly in my ear 20 minutes before my alarm because  his food bowl is "empty" (food is pushed to the side of the bowl, showing *GASP* bottom of the bowl!), I have to remind myself that he's adorable at least half the time.

Haha, mine got into the habit of knocking my night stand lamp over at about 4 am every morning because he wanted "fresh" dry food. So I got rid of the lamp. Then he would just paw at me to wake me up. At one point, I had an automatic feeder that would drop food at 3:30 am and keep him occupied, although keeping my bedroom door shut works fairly well too.

I'm pretty sure he has me brainwashed because I generally find his antics quite funny. The worse he behaves, the more I giggle.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »
Our cats aren't allowed the bedroom, although early on they used to "knock". The hardest part was training my DH to NOT go let them out, feed them, whatever (i.e. reinforce the bad behavior), but to just use the squirt bottle to discourage them, sometimes multiple times a night. 

It's probably best we don't have kids.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
Our cats aren't allowed the bedroom, although early on they used to "knock". The hardest part was training my DH to NOT go let them out, feed them, whatever (i.e. reinforce the bad behavior), but to just use the squirt bottle to discourage them, sometimes multiple times a night. 

It's probably best we don't have kids.

Our first run of cats were locked out of the bedroom due to an odd dog-door-escape-to-outside situation in that house.  We were awoken more then with the door rattling and yowling than we are now that we have a layout that doesn't have an escape route.

I was convinced them liked the game of rattling the door and then running from the squirt bottle.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 11:22:07 AM »

because having a cat is better than having mice.

OP, I have worked catnip into the rope of a scratching post each time my cat has found a new part of my house to destroy, so her interest in the designated scratching area has been renewed. keep her obsessed with that one place and the rest of the house can remain unscathed.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
While we never had scratching issues with our cat, here's my 2c:
Our cat hated sheepkin rugs - put him down on one, he'd run off it as quickly as possible. It might not be possible on stairs, but putting something like that down where you don't want scratching might help.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 06:14:30 AM »
Put cat outside.
Close door.
Don't let cat back in.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:16 AM »
My mantra is "I love my cats, I love my cats, I love my cats..." when they drive me nuts, which is roughly 50% of the time. The other 50% they're cute and cuddly, so it's worth it. But when one meows very loudly in my ear 20 minutes before my alarm because  his food bowl is "empty" (food is pushed to the side of the bowl, showing *GASP* bottom of the bowl!), I have to remind myself that he's adorable at least half the time.

We have a self-feeder food bowl.  Our Great White Beast, Neo, is the only one of the Mandalay Beasts who has figured out how to paw food from the container into the dish.  One morning I came into the kitchen to be met with anxiously milling and crying cats, who ignored the plentiful amount of food in the dish because of the bare spot in the center.  Neo strolled in, pawed some food out, and strolled away as the others fell to.  Mr. Mandalay and I were laughing so hard we were crying.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 06:50:35 AM »
  • Trim claws - a regular nail trimmer works fine. Trimming every two weeks, the first few times may be a challenge.
  • Find something they are allowed to destroy - I use cardboard cat scratchers
  • Have a spray bottle filled with water ready, use it on cat when she's messing up with the carpet on the stairs.

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2015, 04:18:18 PM »
  In my observations, cats don't really even return your affection, they seem to view humans as suckers that provide food and shelter and fun stuff to play with and scratch up, like furniture.

Sounds like you have never lived with a cat.  If you did then you would know how wrong this statement is.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »
  In my observations, cats don't really even return your affection, they seem to view humans as suckers that provide food and shelter and fun stuff to play with and scratch up, like furniture.

Sounds like you have never lived with a cat.  If you did then you would know how wrong this statement is.

Cats don't automatically love you like dogs do. You have to earn it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »

Cats don't automatically love you like dogs do. You have to earn it.

Their language is also not as easily read as dogs.