Author Topic: Gas range adapter  (Read 1246 times)

MrsP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Gas range adapter
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 05:45:55 AM »

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 07:36:47 AM »
The pros are its cheap, so easy I hesitate to even call it DIY, and it is made by Southwire/UL listed so it is probably legit.

It looks like it would work. The biggest con I see is that the fuse is behind the range and non-replaceable. That means if you ever do overload the circuit you will have to remove the range and either have a second one of these in house or wait for a replacement before you can cook again. If you sell a buyer (or more likely) their inspector may be uncomfortable with it.

Personally I would like to keep the breaker/fuse in the main panel and a regular outlet behind the stove. You might be able to reuse all/most of the admittedly oversized wire and just replace the ends of the circuit.

FYI it cost a little less a Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-Gas-Range-Adapter-9042SW8801/302183109) if you pick up in store or qualify for free shipping. A bit of a digression, but here it is: Amazon is great because you can buy everything in one place. Hardware store stuff is often much cheaper elsewhere. I have often just thrown a hardware store item on an unrelated Amazon to it delivered by Lowes/HD because an Amazon retailer just turned around and placed an order in their name shipped to me. Smart on their part and made a few buck in exchange for my laziness.

MrsP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 09:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. My first impression was that if it is UL listed it should be fine. The Amazon price was actually the same as the Home Depot price when I originally posted. I'd be fascinated to see the dynamic pricing algorithm on that.

As to the environmental issue, I think the in-home contamination issues are overblown (no constantly on pilot, already has outdoor venting) and my electric company uses coal to produce the electricity, so I kinda feel like that is wash. I work from home and homeschool, I make all our meals, snacks, and bread at home. I hate the electric stove so much (and the oven isn't heating correctly -- 20 yr old appliance)! I'll find other ways to make up for it.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »
I've never used one. I would change the receptacle/cover plate (cap the extra hot wire) and change out the breaker personally.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »
That looks AWESOME! PLug and play rather than open the panel and spend extra money on a breaker. Also, most states will be phasing out natural gas for residential service so you can keep the 220 there for when you need to throw out your gas range for an induction cooktop.

All that said, I hope states will keep allowing natural gas as I like to cook on it.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »
You should consider sticking with electric.
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2020/5/7/21247602/gas-stove-cooking-indoor-air-pollution-health-risks

Indeed. I have a gas range that came with my house, but if I had to replace it I would be very tempted to go with an induction cooktop which will boil water significantly faster and is easier to clean with better indoor air quality.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 12:36:59 PM »
As to the environmental issue, I think the in-home contamination issues are overblown (no constantly on pilot, already has outdoor venting) and my electric company uses coal to produce the electricity, so I kinda feel like that is wash. I work from home and homeschool, I make all our meals, snacks, and bread at home. I hate the electric stove so much (and the oven isn't heating correctly -- 20 yr old appliance)! I'll find other ways to make up for it.

One more thing to consider: new electric ovens are considered by most to be superior to new gas fired ones. So much so that there is a whole category of products called duel fuel ranges. If you got one of these you wouldn't even need the adaptor.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 10:31:58 AM »
Totally OT, I loved this from the item description:

[Note on what this unit won't do] sometimes we get questions on if this item will convert an electric range to a gas range. While we wish it would do that, this item will only handle the electrical part of the conversion, you will still need to run a gas line.