Author Topic: Fuel door on 2004 Ford Falcon station wagon  (Read 3533 times)

tanhanivar

• Stubble
Fuel door on 2004 Ford Falcon station wagon
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:39:23 AM »
Has anyone ever repaired/replaced a latch on the petrol door for the Falcon wagon (2004)?

The latch has stopped catching when I push the door closed.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Re: Fuel door on 2004 Ford Falcon station wagon
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:12 AM »
Could just check and see if it's bent. I had a similar issue with my old car and managed to bend the latch back into place :)

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
Thanks! Will investigate

eiriksmil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »
Not knowing this exact model since it's Aussie spec.. Most fuel latches are pretty simple. If it's not the above fault, it's one of three; sticky head (I know), sticky wire or sticky mechanism. Oiling up the visible head of the latch is the first and easiest step.. If the wire and the mechanism behind works as it should, that solves it. If that doesn't solve it, either the inside fuel door release sticks making the wire pulled all the time or the latch mechanism is stuck behind the fuel door. If it's the former, oil it. If it's the latter, there's probably some inside plastic trim that needs to come off in order to get to it, but it shouldn't be a problem, just a little time consuming for what's really a one minute job. Oil the fuel door release or the part behind the filler door. It may need changing, if it's broken.

Hopefully it's just the end button.. :) Speaking of wires, now I need to go fix my jammed throttle wire on the scooter :)

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Thanks Eiriksmil! That's very helpful. I've lined up a friend's dad to help me if I need to take things apart, as he has more tools and fewer mechanical inhibitions than I do. And hopefully I'll learn something from the experience!

eiriksmil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:52:41 AM »
Good to hear man. You usually learn by trying. There was a time I was afraid to change a headlight bulb. Now I do brake jobs, replace clutches, engine/gearbox swaps, etc. All learnt from experience and buddies, never been to school for any of that :)