Author Topic: Front Door Staining/Painting Question  (Read 2624 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Front Door Staining/Painting Question
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »
Hello DIY-MMM Team,

As a new homeowner and neophyte DIY-in-training. I was hoping for a little help on the matter of my front door. There appears to be some age and wear, so I would like to clean it up and seal it.

Do/Should I paint it first? Do I use a paint/seal in one? I really don't quite know where to start.'

I have included some pictures of the door for reference, plus a can I still have in the garage that the fence person used to paint and seal the fence (would this product in the right color work?).

I also added a funny picture of a cat because....well you know, it is the internet and all.

Thanks for the help in advance!

worms

• Bristles
Re: Front Door Staining/Painting Question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
You probably don't want to take my advice as I am possibly more skinflint than badass, but I would (and do) use linseed oil for the door.  A little goes a long way.

Hereabouts, linseed oil is sold with extra tax if you buy it for DIY use and without the tax if you buy it for horse feed, so I get mine from the feed mill...

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »
You probably don't want to take my advice as I am possibly more skinflint than badass, but I would (and do) use linseed oil for the door.  A little goes a long way.

Hereabouts, linseed oil is sold with extra tax if you buy it for DIY use and without the tax if you buy it for horse feed, so I get mine from the feed mill...

It can make a pretty finish.  Be careful with any rags you use to apply it or clean it up with.  They can and will spontaneously combust.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »
It can make a pretty finish.  Be careful with any rags you use to apply it or clean it up with.  They can and will spontaneously combust.

Very true!  You need to wash out any cloths rather than just leaving them in a heap in the garage or the bin.  However one of the nice things about linseed is that you can wash cloths and brushes with normal soap and water rather than needing any other solvents.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »
Start by sanding. To get a lasting finish, you'll have to remove the old finish. It's a lot of work, but will give you the best results.  Try this test; use tape to try to lift the existing finish off.  Any areas where this works will need to be sanded.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!