Author Topic: Freezer instead of A/C  (Read 2318 times)

Flouride

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Freezer instead of A/C
« on: August 22, 2017, 03:34:16 AM »
Hello. Anyone tried to freeze few gallons of liquid salt, and then letting it melt during heat in the room? Now sure how much "cold" can it "store", but in theory it should work, or no ?
Thanks a lot

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
Re: Freezer instead of A/C
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:22 AM »
It should, though slowly. And you probably want some air circulation. Easy to do a phase-transition and specific heat estimate (HS physics?) to calculate how much heat you'd remove per kg/hr (but I'm too lazy to do it)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »
What are you using to freeze the liquid salt?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
The cooling for Chase Field (and a couple dozen other downtown Phoenix buildings) uses as system like you describe. The solution is frozen at night and stored in insulated tanks until needed.

DW has sometimes used a fan and blue ice for personal area cooling. Besides the problem of capacity, such a system also suffers from the fact that a typical freezer simply pumps heat out into the room it is in.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »
In university residence (no A/C) during an unseasonably warm spell we had I froze a plastic bucket of water during the day and at night would put it in front of my fan in my room at night.  It worked pretty well to keep me cool . . . the issue was that condensation on the outside of the bucket would drip all over the place.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!