Author Topic: Ford Focus (transmission?) troubleshoot  (Read 1875 times)

tomq04

• Stubble
Ford Focus (transmission?) troubleshoot
« on: September 27, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
Drove the 2000 focus wagon home from church this morning to discover a horrifying grinding when in neutral and in park.  Google tells me it is likely baerings in the transmission or fluid levels.  I checked the fluid and everything appears in order, and there are no leaks to note in the area.  My wife did mention that 2 days ago she hit a curb hard when she was in an unfamiliar parking lot.

I'm not much of a car guy so I'm not certain what to make of it.  I did call my usual mechanic and he said that it's an unusual problem and isn't certain how to diagnose over the phone, but he was concerned about me driving even the 5 miles to his place.  He is also under the impression getting a pull and save transmission and replacing the current one is an easier option that repairing bearings inside of the tranny.

Thoughts on how to proceed?  What are usual rates for tranny repairs/replacements in terms of what to expect?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Ford Focus (transmission?) troubleshoot
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 07:44:24 AM »
I'd check the condition of the fluid first.  Drain the fluid, drop the pan, and check the magnets that are inside the pan.  They're there to catch the tiny bits of metal that come off the parts of the transmission.  It's normal to see a small amount of buildup on the magnets.  If there's a bigger problem, you'll see more (and larger) bits of metal there.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »
You said its a 2000 focus,   how many miles?  Thats pretty important. That things probably almost done if your at or close to 200k miles.   The only way a transmission last past that is if its maintained really well, like transmission fluid fill and drains every 35k and full flushes every 70k.   

With that in mind, the fact that she hit something is suspicious, look under there and see if you see anything obvious.   As far as price, For a 2000 focus wagon the transmission work is gonna be close to value of your vehicle in cost. Sad but true, unless its something super easy.    Which at the point its grinding, its probably something internal failing.     

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:23:34 AM »
Starter is the cause, and jumping the curb is the catalyst.  Whoops.  Much easier fix than tranny though.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »
Starter is the cause, and jumping the curb is the catalyst.  Whoops.  Much easier fix than tranny though.
Well THAT's a relief.  Starters are a LOT easier and cheaper to replace! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!