Author Topic: For the learners and DIYers: diy.org  (Read 3492 times)

igthebold

• Bristles
For the learners and DIYers: diy.org
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »
Everyone here should check out http://diy.org

It's geared toward kids, but I'm having a hard time not doing the activities myself. Plus you get merit badges for completing activities. My son loves it.. it's a salted mine of activities ripe for unstructured exploration, and a great way to build a culture of DIY and creativity.

Plus:
Embroidered Skill patches coming soon.

Why does this pique my interest so much? Dunno, but it does. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: For the learners and DIYers: diy.org
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:10:51 AM »
This is totally cool! Have you shared it in the mini-stach forum yet? This one website would meet a hot of home school and real life skills that kids (and us adults) need.  I also love how they associate it with the badges, it's a fun reward system.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:47:34 AM »
I wanted to join, but it wants my 'parents' email, and it felt wrong to portray myself as a minor when I'm not.  I don't want to actually compete or anything, I just mostly want to see the instructions and stuff.  Guess I'll see if I can lurk around the site as an unregistered user.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »
Shadowmoss, you should be able to lurk. The only thing you get with a child's account is credit. Otherwise, all the challenges and associated videos are there.

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »
Finally some projects that craft challenged me can look forward to doing with the kids! Woohoo!