Author Topic: foam roof repair  (Read 1262 times)

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
foam roof repair
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
So we bought a new old house and the house has something that was unusual to me, but it had the roof replaced with a polyurethane foam system about 3 years ago. It looks like foam, covered with a waterproof coating, and as I've heard white sand to deter birds from pecking on it. Apparently the coating needs to be redone every 10 years or so since this is a flat roof, but the foam can conceivably stay on there for a long time beneath the coating.

That said, I finally made it up to take a look, and found things to be in good shape, with the exception of two small, perhaps half inch size punctures that go through the waterproof coating and into the foam about a quarter inch. I suspect someone dropped a tool while up there servicing something. In any event, it looks like there's a variety of coating systems and corresponding caulks to cover over the wounds and prevent the foam from deteriorating in the sun.

Any advice for what caulk to use when you don't know the make-up of the coating system? The contractor on the permit couldn't remember what they used on the job, and the guy who ordered the work died. Thanks all.

Ecky

• Bristles
Re: foam roof repair
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:50:47 AM »
I followed a google link here:

https://westroofingsystems.com/pros-cons-spf-roofs/

Two pertinent items mentioned:

Maintenance
SPF roofing systems should be inspected twice a year whether there is known damage or not. And especially after weather events that could cause damage: such as hail storms, tornados, and hurricanes. Small cracks, gouges, or punctures can be repaired with an elastomeric sealant compatible with the SPF system.

Accurate Repairs Needed
SPF does not have as high of resistance to punctures or damage. If your SPF roof is damaged, you must call an SPF contractor to perform the repair. The repair needs to be made with silicone because typical roofing repair materials do not adhere to the silicone coating.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
yup saw that too, just wanted to know if anyone recommended a "elastomeric sealant compatible with the SPF system" to use.

ManyMountains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:36:45 AM »
Following because we have a foam roof too. Got it installed this year, with variable amounts of insulation ranging from 1.5-5.5 inches thick. Last summer was unbearable in our house, and this summer we only used the AC two days. We live in the east SF bay area, there are sufficient number of flat and low-pitch roofs in here, for which foam roofing is ideal.