Author Topic: flat roof sealing - do it yourself project?  (Read 2302 times)

mstryin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
flat roof sealing - do it yourself project?
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »
I need advice!  We have a flat roof - midcentury house.  about 10 years ago, the previous owners put on a very good commercial grade rubber roof - the home inspector said it should last 25 years if we keep it up well.  2 years ago when we bought the house, the previous owner had the roof seams sealed - at a cost of $1,500.  "they" say we should do it every 2 years or so - so it's time.  And hubby says some of the seals are a bit cracked.

Is this something we can do ourselves?  what do we use - and how?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: flat roof sealing - do it yourself project?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
Flat roofs are problematic, or worse depending on where you live.  In the PNW, everything from PVC membrane to strange roll-on solutions are used where torch-down or hot-mop tar used to be common, with mixed results.  I'd consult a few roofers who specialize in flat roofing, and I'm a professional builder and DIYer.

mstryin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
that doesn't sound promising.  I am in the midwest - so we'll see. 

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
If you can find out what the roofing is, it will help you do a little research and also talk to roofers.  PVC membranes are replacing many of the tar roofs around here because they last much longer.  The PVC is 60 mil thick and comes on a few colors.  Most commercial flat roofs are done this way.

If your roof is light colored and looks like some sort of skin with seams every 3-4', it might be PVC already, and perhaps the seams can be re-welded (they're heat welded when new usually).

mstryin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »
Thanks - our roof is black double membrane rubber.  It is in long, wide strips that are then 'seamed' with what looks like driveway sealant.  there is no gravel or any other thing on top of it.  It is these seams that are starting to crack a bit.