Author Topic: Fixing an old electric clothes dryer  (Read 4045 times)

kamas

• Stubble
Fixing an old electric clothes dryer
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
I have an old electric clothes dryer that has some problems.  I want to test it by turning on or "activating" one pin at a time. How Do I do that? See the photo for a clear idea of what I want to do.

Normally, the red circle #1 plugs in to red circle #2.
Can I plug in ONLY one line at a time, such as the YELLOW line that i colored in the photo.

Can I stick a copper wire in each pin , one by on, to "test it" and "turn that pin on"? 
If not, then how do I do it?

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fixing an old electric clothes dryer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
You can only test it while plugged in because it will need the power and the ground side of the circuit. The best way is to look up the wiring schematic on-line and use a multimeter to check for voltage or do ohms checks. Look for burnt circuit tracks or lose solder connections on the card. If it's a burnt track it can be repair with a jumper wire.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozH2F3AX8BY 

It's possible to test the circuit card...since most of the older stuff you can follow the circuit tracks under the card but be careful if your doing live voltage checks and don't ground out the circuit card.

kamas

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »
That part that is #1 in the red circle, that goes to a touch panel with 15 buttons on it. Something is wrong with the panel, and a new panel costs $200.
I thinking of making my own button, i dont need all 15 buttons, all i need is the start button to work.

I dont really need to test that circuit board with #2 to see if its working. That circuit board works well. What I meant was, is there a way to connect something to it instead of buying a new $200 panel.

Any ideas?

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
Absolutely, you just need to find out on the schematic to make it work. You have the right idea, you don't need all the options. It's hard for me to give you pointers from a computer. It's like my bronco, abs light came on...so I cut the abs light. No need for it, we've lasted many years without.   

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
It's like my bronco, abs light came on...so I cut the abs light. No need for it, we've lasted many years without.

This is off-topic, but I would recommend you find out why the ABS warning light came on.  There could be something wrong with your brakes that you might only discover in a panic stop.  Depending on where you live, if you were involved in a fatality accident where brake function was implicated, you could be additionally liable as well.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »
Not helpful, but maybe this is a good time to stop using your dryer and do line drying ;)

George_PA

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
I agree with Thegoblinchief, why keep an old electricity sucking clothes dryer around?   There is a reason why they need an extra large sized electrical plug.

In our household, we switched to line drying in July and have not used our dryer since.  Even in the middle of the winter when there is a foot of snow outside we have inside clothes lines that can be put up temporarily.  I do the laundry every Friday morning, and it is dry by Saturday evening.  For small items such as socks they make clothes hanger structures that unfold, MMM covered this topic once in a blog posting.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:25:48 AM »
I think I'd go at it differently and look at the control panel. There's probably a very simple circuit board with the switches on it. If you follow the traces that go to "start" you should be able to see what you need to close (or open) to achieve what you want to achieve.

If it's a typical "soft" control panel, you may be able to get it working by just cleaning some contacts.

If this is a Sears product, they're really good about keeping manuals and diagrams and parts available, so you might try that route too.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »
***Answering personal email***
I can't tell you for sure if it would work. I think you would still be missing a ground. Plus, they have control circuits for the heating element that you may bypass. 

It's like my bronco, abs light came on...so I cut the abs light. No need for it, we've lasted many years without.

This is off-topic, but I would recommend you find out why the ABS warning light came on.  There could be something wrong with your brakes that you might only discover in a panic stop.  Depending on where you live, if you were involved in a fatality accident where brake function was implicated, you could be additionally liable as well.

I can understand some people's concern but like most of the high tech safety items on vehicles now-a-days they really aren't needed. They add connivance to novice drivers. You can actually stop a vehicle faster with out ABS... if you know what your doing. I've been a mechanic for 20yrs and I would prefer to buy vehicles with out all the options they put on them today...except for air bags.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!