Author Topic: Extra hardwood flooring  (Read 3924 times)

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Extra hardwood flooring
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »
Ok, I'm looking for some ideas here. I have approx 180 sf of 3/4" solid hickory flooring (4" wide) left from my house remodel.  It was purchased clearance with no return policy.  I'm looking for ideas on what I can do with this stuff!

I don't think it's enough for any future flooring projects or for my rentals. 

I can DIY build most things, so no project idea is too crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Extra hardwood flooring
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
I've got a bunch too. Would make a good bar top.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:18:20 PM »
Accent wall perhaps? I would keep enough for replacing damaged pieces in the future and try selling it on craigslist. I've had people buy small amounts of extra materials before.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
I've got a bunch as well.  So far I've
* "floored" a little stair nice (and stained it to match the hardwood on the stairs)
* floored a bit of attic space where my networking equipment is... so I wasn't tip-toeing on ceiling joists
* used it as stakes in the garden

But I'm all ears for some better ideas.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »
Accent wall perhaps? I would keep enough for replacing damaged pieces in the future and try selling it on craigslist. I've had people buy small amounts of extra materials before.

I'll definitely keep a box or 2. How much did you have to discount to sell it on Craigslist?  I've never ended up with this much extra.  I had little to no scrap with this floor.

As for an accent wall, my entire first floor is this flooring. Basement though?  Might do that.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
Just going to spitball some ideas here that seem doable or I have seen done

accent wall
table top
wall mounted headboard
our wedding guest book is scraps of hardwood flooring hanging on the wall (well will be one day)
coasters (we tested how well a few types of flooring held up by using them as coasters)
a bit for repairs
sell it on CL
use it as wainscoting
transfer photos on to it and use is as a photo frame (don't know if it will work with pre-finished flooring)
cut the tongues off (or not) and use it as open slat shelving in a closet
get playful with a router and make some signs (with a lettering kit) or art out of a few planks
use it in the fireplace/wood burning stove
use it as a center panel for a cabinet door/medicine cabinet door/entertainment center door
make a modern(ish) floating shelf out of it

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »
Ok, I'm looking for some ideas here. I have approx 180 sf of 3/4" solid hickory flooring (4" wide) left from my house remodel.  It was purchased clearance with no return policy.  I'm looking for ideas on what I can do with this stuff!

You could save it to replace flooring that may get damaged in the future.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 01:41:26 AM »

You could save it to replace flooring that may get damaged in the future.

Esh. I think the storage space and clutter it would create would far outweigh the remote possibility of needing to replace 180 sq ft. of damage.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »

I'll definitely keep a box or 2. How much did you have to discount to sell it on Craigslist?

I haven't sold any flooring but have sold tile and other things. I'm generally happy with 50% of purchase price on Craigslist but I live in a very rural very poor area. Depending on where you live, you can probably due better than that.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
180 SF is enough to do a bedroom. (10X10 is only 100 SF) I'd put it on CL and see if you get any bites.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
I may try to sell on Craigslist.  I would love to use the hickory for a project and get it down to bare wood.  But I hear you'll destroy your planer blades or spend more time and money sanding off the finish than it would be to just go buy new stock.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »
I may try to sell on Craigslist.  I would love to use the hickory for a project and get it down to bare wood.  But I hear you'll destroy your planer blades or spend more time and money sanding off the finish than it would be to just go buy new stock.

I do have some experience along those lines.  I bought a crapton of recycled gym flooring.  My original plan was to run it all through the planer.  In the end, I ended up running enough through the planer to do my staircase, but the rest of the flooring I sanded.  And sanded.  And sanded.

I am not sure how your new (I think) hickory would compare to my very old maple.  Hickory is really damn hard.  But maple is pretty hard too, and it was old, so ... that made it harder.  It did really dull down the planer blades.  My situation was worsened by the fact my wood was recycled.  Since it had been sanded in place one or more times, it was also of varying thickness... so one board might need to be planed 1/64th.  The next might need 1/16th.  New flooring would be much easier... as you are starting with a uniform height.

If you were doing something small... I think a 50 grit belt on a belt sander will sand it down in no time.  This would be totally do-able for a table top or something of similar size.  But you don't want to do that on the entire 180sqft.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »

Depending on what tools you have and how thick you needed the final board to be you could always run it through the table saw or resaw on the band saw and just cut a sliver off rather than feed the finish to a sander/planer. I still would not want to do the whole lot that way and you are probably better off doing a small batch with a coarse belt sander as Spork said.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
If you have a router you can make your baseboards and trim out of the same material as the floor.

You can use the longer pieces to make shelves for your closet or garage, or the top of a work bench.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 07:23:12 AM »
Use it to floor an area by an entrance.
(As in... an area to take off shoe and boots in a carpeted floor.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
BudgetSlasher's list is good, with one possible exception. Unless your wood is raw, do not burn it indoors.  Better to give it away than burn it anywhere.