Author Topic: Does anyone know how to choose a suitable mountain bike for the lady?  (Read 2887 times)

shesabikelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
 I need detailed description -Speed, performance, price, material etc.Thanks a lot.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Pick a price range. Have her ride a bunch of bikes in that price range, but nothing priced higher than your max. Buy the one that feels best.

Same rules apply for a dude's bike.

Beef Rindly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
mtn bikes are a tough purchase if you don't already know what you want, or haven't owned one before.  There are so many options that you can easily become paralyzed from over analysis (in my opinion)

In addition to previous replies - which I agree with - you also want to consider the type of riding terrain that it will be used for.  Some people buy a mountain bike with the intent of it being an all-purpose bike.  And some want to do extreme downhill with 6' drops.  And there is a full spectrum in between.

My recommendation - and the bike I have - is a straightforward steel or alloy frame, hardtail (no rear suspension) and a front fork with suspension.  Most ladies don't need a 29'er so don't even worry about that set of bikes.  Tires can be swapped out if needed but probably unnecessary. 

Speed - that's up to you mostly, or the grade of the descent
performance - depends on her riding level and experience.  I like shimano XT equivalent, but I ride a lot.
price - again depends.  If she's new to it, find the cheapest entry level bikes, and then go one performance level higher.
material - aluminum is usually your best bet, but this also depends

good luck.

Matt_D

• Stubble
Most ladies don't need a 29'er so don't even worry about that set of bikes. 

Disagree with this quite a bit - wheel size choice comes down to rider height and intended function, not gender. I would agree that most people under 5'4" or so are going to find the compromises on a 29er frame (have to sacrifice some other things to fit those large wheels on a very small frame) potentially not worth it - but there are plenty of women taller than that, and even some smaller female pros are riding 29ers now.

OP - you've given us pretty much nada to work with in terms of the person, budget, general location, intended use, etc. The responses above are about as good as you can get given your question, but we could probably help a lot more knowing a bit more. There is no "best bike" - just like there is no "best car" or "best house." All depends on your needs and environment.

shesabikelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pick a price range. Have her ride a bunch of bikes in that price range, but nothing priced higher than your max. Buy the one that feels best.

Same rules apply for a dude's bike.
I think $500-$1000 is OK for me.

shesabikelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
mtn bikes are a tough purchase if you don't already know what you want, or haven't owned one before.  There are so many options that you can easily become paralyzed from over analysis (in my opinion)

In addition to previous replies - which I agree with - you also want to consider the type of riding terrain that it will be used for.  Some people buy a mountain bike with the intent of it being an all-purpose bike.  And some want to do extreme downhill with 6' drops.  And there is a full spectrum in between.

My recommendation - and the bike I have - is a straightforward steel or alloy frame, hardtail (no rear suspension) and a front fork with suspension.  Most ladies don't need a 29'er so don't even worry about that set of bikes.  Tires can be swapped out if needed but probably unnecessary. 

Speed - that's up to you mostly, or the grade of the descent
performance - depends on her riding level and experience.  I like shimano XT equivalent, but I ride a lot.
price - again depends.  If she's new to it, find the cheapest entry level bikes, and then go one performance level higher.
material - aluminum is usually your best bet, but this also depends

good luck.
Firstly,I must thanks for youradvice.I have to admit I am a newbie,so particularly high speed is not my pursuit.I am considering carbon materials now.

shesabikelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Most ladies don't need a 29'er so don't even worry about that set of bikes. 

Disagree with this quite a bit - wheel size choice comes down to rider height and intended function, not gender. I would agree that most people under 5'4" or so are going to find the compromises on a 29er frame (have to sacrifice some other things to fit those large wheels on a very small frame) potentially not worth it - but there are plenty of women taller than that, and even some smaller female pros are riding 29ers now.

OP - you've given us pretty much nada to work with in terms of the person, budget, general location, intended use, etc. The responses above are about as good as you can get given your question, but we could probably help a lot more knowing a bit more. There is no "best bike" - just like there is no "best car" or "best house." All depends on your needs and environment.
Thanks a lot for our replying."All depends on your needs and environment",I do agree.