Author Topic: DIY with help?  (Read 18154 times)

jef396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
DIY with help?
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »
Does anyone have experience with hiring a contractor (or really anyone with construction experience) to guide them through DIY projects?  I have several projects I'd like to tackle, but the largest project I've done is sealing granite counters.  The most pressing project is replacing a shower floor after ripping it out to find a leak (lots of tears in the shower pan).  I'd be happy to watch a few YouTube videos and give it a shot, but the large time and material investment makes me want to do it right the first time.

Thanks!

trammatic

• Stubble
Re: DIY with help?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:46:54 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't ask... Make it clear you want to learn from them, but still offer to pay full price, and help with the grunt work.

ShavinItForLater

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
I would expect many contractors would be happy to do a side job with you like that, as long as you're paying them by the hour.

Noncents

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
Does anyone have experience with hiring a contractor (or really anyone with construction experience) to guide them through DIY projects?  I have several projects I'd like to tackle, but the largest project I've done is sealing granite counters.  The most pressing project is replacing a shower floor after ripping it out to find a leak (lots of tears in the shower pan).  I'd be happy to watch a few YouTube videos and give it a shot, but the large time and material investment makes me want to do it right the first time.

Thanks!

I have no experience with contractors in this area, but my mechanic has a sign in his shop that reads:

We charge the following rates for Labor:
$65 per hour if you leave it here
$75 per hour if you watch us work (...and presumably, ask questions)
$85 per hour if you help with the work

I always leave the car and come back when it's done :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »

Thanks!

I have no experience with contractors in this area, but my mechanic has a sign in his shop that reads:

We charge the following rates for Labor:
$65 per hour if you leave it here
$75 per hour if you watch us work (...and presumably, ask questions)
$85 per hour if you help with the work

I always leave the car and come back when it's done :)

I've seen the same type of signs, usually intended as humorous.

I wonder though if one of the latter two might save you some money, if they'll work faster and/or not bill for extra time if you're watching or helping.  Hopefully you have an honest mechanic, but it would be interesting if paying more per hour would save you money.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!