Author Topic: DIY sport drink or flavored water.  (Read 3823 times)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
DIY sport drink or flavored water.
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
I was looking at making my own flavored water.

A squeeze of cirtus (Orange, lemon, lime etc.) , 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, a small pinch of salt.

But I don't really know what I am doing so I found these:

http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/homemade-sports-drink-recipes/

The watermelon one looks great!

Do you guys have any tips or favs to share?

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
Re: DIY sport drink or flavored water.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »
I prefer DIY anything and never buy flavored water and other drinks, but I also prefer simplicity over anything, so my regular drink throughout the day is water with a splash of lemon juice, or a spoonful of apple cider vinegar, with or without honey depending on my mood. A few times a week, I fill a jug of cold water with a bag of chamomile or mint tea and a bit of honey and leave it to brew in the fridge overnight, and have it the next morning. I like the idea of lemon and ginger and will try the recipe. I never add salt even if I do a high intensity interval workout daily, because I am not and never will be practicing any sport at a level requiring the addition of salt in my drink.

minimalistmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:47:57 PM »
I experimented with making my own Oral Rehydration Therapy solution for a while.  It is sugar and salt in a precise ration that allows for superior oral rehydration to anything else that has been discovered.  It has been shown to save lives around the world, especially in poorer places with limited resources.  Especially treating life threatening diarrhea.

But many athletes have been using it recently too, reporting great results.

http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

http://rehydrate.org/ors/ort.htm

"The discovery that sodium transport and glucose transport are coupled in the small intestine so that glucose accelerates absorption of solute and water (is) potentially the most important medical advance this century." -The Lancet

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »
Switchel, which should always be made with molasses for flavor and electrolytes, so ignore any honey or maple syrup advocates.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchel

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:42:41 AM »
Thank you for the link to the recipes. My doctor recommended I drink Gatorade, but I got tired of the cost. The recipe I have for homemade tastes pretty bad.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
My all time favorite is cucumber mint tea.  Place a mint teabag and a couple of slices of cucumber in a pitcher of filtered water and leave it in the fridge over night.  I love this so much that I walk past the 12 pack of coke sitting on the floor in front of the fridge to get to it.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »
Thank you for the link to the recipes. My doctor recommended I drink Gatorade, but I got tired of the cost. The recipe I have for homemade tastes pretty bad.

Gatorade is pretty cheap compared to other flavored drinks already, but to make it even cheaper, buy the powder form.  We buy one of the powder containers each Summer for a few $ and it lasts us all Summer long.  A fraction of the cost of buying it as a liquid...

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »
I still like Kool-Aid. I like the yellow lemonade kind that comes in the tiny packet, and I make it with about 1/2 to 2/3 the suggested amount of sugar. It's about 25 cents or less per half gallon. Maybe if you added a little salt it would be more like Gatorade.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »
I made iskiate once, a chia seed drink.  Recipe here:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/tarahumara-pinole-chia-recipes/

I couldn't tell if it made me super-human, but I then went on a pretty good bike ride, about 15 miles up to the crest of the coast range from my house and back.  The climb didn't seem too bad but I'm in pretty good shape.  It's hard to do experiments like that back to back.

I keep intending to make some more before some of my longer bike rides home from work.  Maybe next week, I might get in two.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!