Author Topic: DIY clothes (sewing)  (Read 32285 times)

halftimer

• Stubble
Re: DIY clothes (sewing)
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
Pulled out the machine to patch some pj pants, and had a sacrificial shirt that didn't fit lined up to use for the patch. Family member walked in and saw the shirt and tried it on, it fit perfectly except for the sleeve length so I cut the sleeves off to make the patch and now the pants are fixed and a new short sleeved button up shirt is all hemmed and ready to wear for the summer!
I have a few other sewing projects that have stalled and I keep wanting to get back to them, but it just looks like so much time seam ripping has to happen before any fun progress. I need to just get to it

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2019, 07:58:50 AM »
Reminds me, I need to chop off the holes in ODS sweatpants to make shorts for him.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2019, 01:00:29 AM »
Just been sewing baby leggings and beanies from op shop (thrift store) merino jerseys. Easy to find for a few dollars each, and much cheaper than buying merino fabric.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
So many +1s! Sewing is like any other hobby--it can be more expensive than a ready-made product. It all depends on what you're making and how you source your materials. I regularly get given fabric & notions when I mention I'm a sewist*. Just recently, I found 5.5 yards of brand-new fabric in a 'free' box at an antique store.

Hand-me-down garments are a great way to get free fabric. Once I was on a refashioning kick, and a co-worker gave me an entire trash bag of her husband's old shirts. Keeping fabric out of the landfill and clutter out of homes!

As to inexpensive patterns, google 'free printable x pattern'. There's an Easy Knit Dress Pattern in my sewing bag right now, that was free and printed on 8.5x11 sheets that I taped together following the drafter's instructions.  I've found felt food patterns, kids clothes patterns, even a dog coat pattern. No way was I paying $50 for dog clothing, but a gifted fleece jacket and free printable pattern later--voila! My dog isn't shivering in the winter.

I've checked out sewing books from the library with patterns inside. I love One Yard Wonders and Sew In Style--Make Your Own Doll Clothes so much that I ended up buying them. But not until after I'd made several items and knew that I liked the patterns.

For notions (buttons, zippers, velcro, etc), repurposed clothes are my number one source. Shirt that's too worn to refashion? Remove the buttons and put them in my button stash.

I've had great finds at estate and yard sales. Patterns, notions, fabrics, too. I have a LOT of thread on wooden spools that says 'boil safe' that I'm pretty sure is from the turn of the last century, all free. My neighbor had bought an investment property and I helped him clean it out. He gave me all the sewing stuff, and I'm still using it years later. Those free sewing kits from hotels can be very useful. All of my current hand sewing needles are from one of those kits.

My local Buy Nothing and FaceBook Marketplace Free groups often have sewing stuff for free, including machines.

Definitely get someone who sews to give you a lesson or two. A friend and I started a sewing club for two so that she could learn from me. She's currently sewing a dress, and I'm working on a custom pair of PJ pants.

Youtube has some great instruction videos on every aspect of sewing.

Doll or baby clothes are a great started project. I've found a lot of free printable patterns. They take little fabric and few skills. You can always donate them afterwards.

I also like the Refashionista, and Marissa from New Dress a Day. Get on Pinterest and search Refashions or Simple Way to Sew X, and you'll find lots of inspiration and help.

*(not a sewer, because that sounds like SOO-er, where the poo goes...:)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »

I laughed at this.  Sewer and sewer only look alike in print, a sewer (sounds like sew-er) does sewing, while a sewer (sounds like sue-er) carries effluent.  Come to think of it, what do we call someone who sues?  I guess plaintiff sounds a lot better than sue-er.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2019, 07:32:34 AM »

I laughed at this.  Sewer and sewer only look alike in print, a sewer (sounds like sew-er) does sewing, while a sewer (sounds like sue-er) carries effluent.  Come to think of it, what do we call someone who sues?  I guess plaintiff sounds a lot better than sue-er.

Tailor?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2019, 02:17:42 AM »
Here is another pic.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2019, 02:28:30 AM »
@Linea_Norway the backpack is gorgeous!! Your husband is very talented. But I think the first picture contains some private information so I would remove that if I were you.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2019, 02:31:58 AM »
Thanks, @Imma. I couldn't remove the picture in the posting, but I could remove the whole posting. Here it is again.

I used to hike with a 45 year old frame packpack. The actual bag of it was green and very old. Also getting damaged, not waterproof and the locks of the pockets were loosening.

After making a new backpack for himself last year, my DH now made me a new backpack. He bought waterproof, sturdy material, X-pack V15 from Ripstop by the role and sweded a backpack for me. It has waterproof zippers. I did the basic design and we finished the design together. The purple color was my choice, the pink details are DH's choice.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »
Not much sewing, but my new frugal hack has been getting the library to order in sewing books for me. Recently added :
Sew your own active wear by Melissa Fehr
Ottobre Magazine.

Very excited about the extra patterns in those. Now I just need more time. Well and to get back to working my way through my list of sewing projects and my stash. Definitely feel like a squirrel sometimes. -whoa new fabric, oh cool shirt, I want to make that now!!! Forget the 50 other things waiting for me to start on.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2019, 07:16:03 PM »
@Linea_Norway, I LOVE the backpack! That is some nice work. Great idea. You may have found your post-FIRE side gig. ;) And here I was proud of mending two pairs of DH's jeans last night, LOL. It's fun, though.

TrMama

« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2019, 12:49:48 PM »
I used to hike with a 45 year old frame packpack. The actual bag of it was green and very old. Also getting damaged, not waterproof and the locks of the pockets were loosening.

After making a new backpack for himself last year, my DH now made me a new backpack. He bought waterproof, sturdy material, X-pack V15 from Ripstop by the role and sweded a backpack for me. It has waterproof zippers. I did the basic design and we finished the design together. The purple color was my choice, the pink details are DH's choice.

That's an amazing backpack.

Not much sewing, but my new frugal hack has been getting the library to order in sewing books for me. Recently added :
Sew your own active wear by Melissa Fehr
Ottobre Magazine.

Very excited about the extra patterns in those. Now I just need more time. Well and to get back to working my way through my list of sewing projects and my stash. Definitely feel like a squirrel sometimes. -whoa new fabric, oh cool shirt, I want to make that now!!! Forget the 50 other things waiting for me to start on.

Almost all the clothes I've made myself come from Ottobre. I had a subscription years ago and the patterns are fantastic. Most of the are also really easy to alter into slightly different patterns, so you end up with tons of options.

I wonder if my library carries these . . .

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »
Thanks, @Imma. I couldn't remove the picture in the posting, but I could remove the whole posting. Here it is again.

Ooh! So (sew) nice!   I was thinking about making a backpack when I decided what I really wanted was to make a new insulated puffy jacket.   Because mine was too thin, I had an old backpack already, ad that would be easier than trying to sew backpack straps and hip belt right?

I also purchased ripstop by the roll, the 7D nylon and apex synthetic insulation.  As I had no pattern, I attempted to trace an existing jacket.   After many, many hours of trying to figure out how it pieced together, I finally finished and tried it on my first trip.   It is wonderfully warm.   Why I thought making an insulated jacket without a pattern, would be easier than a backpack, I have no idea.  It is certainly not perfect, but very very warm... and only 220g or so.

Now my next order of fabric is available, for pick up , and of course I am going to make a rain jacket using their fancy eVent fabric -- that should be easier, right? only one layer and I have already done this once. ( But I need to figure out a different pattern.....!)  ah.  my delusions of 'easy' = more work of course!

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »
@Goldielocks you are brave making your own patterns! I have a downfilled (synthetic) pattern from jalie that I'd like to use some day to attempt outdoor wear.

I've been making underwear.. my littlest guy is 2 and too tiny to fit in RTW. Was going to let it stay baggie but he was having a couple poop accidents and it was falling out of his pants. Fixed that with the cutest boxer briefs. Why is adult clothing so cute on little ones?

you can see some pics here: https://www.ourfinest.ca/2019/08/underwear-underwear-and-more-underwear.html

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2019, 12:34:49 AM »
@Goldielocks you are brave making your own patterns! I have a downfilled (synthetic) pattern from jalie that I'd like to use some day to attempt outdoor wear.

I've been making underwear.. my littlest guy is 2 and too tiny to fit in RTW. Was going to let it stay baggie but he was having a couple poop accidents and it was falling out of his pants. Fixed that with the cutest boxer briefs. Why is adult clothing so cute on little ones?

you can see some pics here: https://www.ourfinest.ca/2019/08/underwear-underwear-and-more-underwear.html

His boxers look nice and fit him well.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »
@Linea_Norway Thank you!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »
PTF. We have a sewing machine and sewing table and I want this to be my next big skill to learn now that I'm doing well with gardening. I've saved up a bunch of clothing that needs to be mended so we'll start with that and then move on to making things from scratch with patterns. We'll probably really get going with this withing a few months. Currently, my wife is learning to knit, so she should be ready to join me by then.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2019, 11:48:35 PM »
PTF. We have a sewing machine and sewing table and I want this to be my next big skill to learn now that I'm doing well with gardening. I've saved up a bunch of clothing that needs to be mended so we'll start with that and then move on to making things from scratch with patterns. We'll probably really get going with this withing a few months. Currently, my wife is learning to knit, so she should be ready to join me by then.

Also think of redesign: using old clothes and other fabrics (curtains and stuff) to make new clothes (like T-shirts). That would be a cheap way to try to make a new garment.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2019, 07:53:02 AM »

Also think of redesign: using old clothes and other fabrics (curtains and stuff) to make new clothes (like T-shirts). That would be a cheap way to try to make a new garment.

It really is much easier and much cheaper to customize thrift store clothes rather than to make things from scratch.

Making collars, cuffs, button holes, etc is a bitch, and by buying an already made garment, that bitch work is done for you. Plus, fabric is insanely expensive, used clothes aren't.

It's a totally different skill set though from pattern sewing.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »

It really is much easier and much cheaper to customize thrift store clothes rather than to make things from scratch.

Making collars, cuffs, button holes, etc is a bitch, and by buying an already made garment, that bitch work is done for you. Plus, fabric is insanely expensive, used clothes aren't.

I really need to learn more about altering. I mostly do fabric harvesting to make smaller shirts for the kids from adult ones. I just did this last week to make a shirt for orange shirt day for my daughter when I left it too late so they only had adult large left.

https://www.ourfinest.ca/2019/10/orange-shirt-day.html

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2019, 01:29:05 PM »
DH sewed some nice looking pillow cases for the staging of our home. One cloth we had and he bought another el cheapo cloth that looks nice.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2019, 06:55:26 AM »

I really need to learn more about altering. I mostly do fabric harvesting to make smaller shirts for the kids from adult ones. I just did this last week to make a shirt for orange shirt day for my daughter when I left it too late so they only had adult large left.

It's really not hard as long as you have a customized/customizable dress form and some pins. Pin the item how you want it to look, draw a line, sew on that line.

It takes very little time and if you screw up, you're only out a few dollars and haven't wasted good fabric.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2019, 07:47:05 AM »

It's really not hard as long as you have a customized/customizable dress form and some pins. Pin the item how you want it to look, draw a line, sew on that line.

It takes very little time and if you screw up, you're only out a few dollars and haven't wasted good fabric.

How to DIY a customized dress form:

Put your model in a tight t-shirt that may be ditched.
Take solid tape and tape around the model, on the t-shirt.
When tape is everywhere, cut the t-shirt open, carefully.
Tape the cuts again, so that there is an empty body in the model's size.
Fill it up with old curtains or whatever else you can miss.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2019, 12:00:25 PM »
Has anyone here used this or similar?

https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Sewing-Machine-Cordless-Electric/dp/B07T1HD8D8

Are they any good, especially with heavier fabric like cotton canvas?

Not clothing but one of my projects is to hand sew a replacement canopy for an outdoor shade tent. The one that came with it was a flimsy nylon that tore to shreds in the wind and the replacement is almost as much as the whole thing cost originally. I bought a canvass drop cloth I can cut down using the remains of the old canopy as a pattern and then I have outdoor thread and heavy needles for sewing it. I live in a van so cannot justify the space for a sewing machine but this might be small enough to fit.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2019, 06:51:42 PM »

Not clothing but one of my projects is to hand sew a replacement canopy for an outdoor shade tent. The one that came with it was a flimsy nylon that tore to shreds in the wind and the replacement is almost as much as the whole thing cost originally. I bought a canvass drop cloth I can cut down using the remains of the old canopy as a pattern and then I have outdoor thread and heavy needles for sewing it. I live in a van so cannot justify the space for a sewing machine but this might be small enough to fit.

I doubt it very much. A regular sewing machine can't handle canvas very well, and they have a lot more power. The listing looks super sketchy, too. Any chance there's a library with a sewing lab in your vicinity?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »

I doubt it very much. A regular sewing machine can't handle canvas very well, and they have a lot more power. The listing looks super sketchy, too. Any chance there's a library with a sewing lab in your vicinity?

My DH has been using his old sewing machine (from the 60ies or 70ies, with orange flowers on it) for sewing through very thick material, like when he made a new hip belt for his rucksack. That is a machine where you can also turn the wheel manually. Those old machines can often be obtained quite cheaply and they don't break easily.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2019, 05:43:51 AM »

My DH has been using his old sewing machine (from the 60ies or 70ies, with orange flowers on it) for sewing through very thick material, like when he made a new hip belt for his rucksack. That is a machine where you can also turn the wheel manually. Those old machines can often be obtained quite cheaply and they don't break easily.

It really depends on the machine.
Machines in the 60s and 70s came in different levels of performance, only some could handle thick fabrics.

I learned to sew on a 60s table Singer, and it could not handle heavy fabric.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »

How to DIY a customized dress form:

Put your model in a tight t-shirt that may be ditched.
Take solid tape and tape around the model, on the t-shirt.
When tape is everywhere, cut the t-shirt open, carefully.
Tape the cuts again, so that there is an empty body in the model's size.
Fill it up with old curtains or whatever else you can miss.

Thank you SO much for this awesome tip! 

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »

It's more trying to alter pants with a waist band or dress with lining. just feels like many more steps to get in to the altering. Will definitely need to do more.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2019, 06:01:35 AM »
Posting to follow!  I’m a maker. Haven’t been doing any complicated sewing recently. Really enjoy seeing everyone’s projects!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »

Funny, I really love sewing and mending and repurposing, but I've always hated altering passionately (at least anything more complicated than taking a few inches off a skirt).

I've drafted my own patterns for years but I've just signed up for a classed with a really good patternmaker to improve my skills (she sells her patterns commercially and is quite succesful). I've heard the class she offers is really really good so I'm expecting to learn a lot.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2019, 10:32:43 PM »
@Imma oh, curious to know who. Please share :)

I'm super proud of the kid's Halloween Costumes this year. Made Harry Potter Quidditch Training robes. Sorry for only the blog post link, but I hate trying to post photos in forums. https://www.ourfinest.ca/2019/10/another-halloween-another-harry-potter.html

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2020, 09:20:41 AM »
Been so quite here lately I actually had to search for the thread! What are you all sewing at the moment? I've created my sewing plan to use up all the fabric I bought last year and was meaning to sew with some sort of coordinated plan.

Plan is here: https://www.ourfinest.ca/2020/01/2020-sewing-plans.html

newer links show what I've made so far. I've done some leggings and a tunic. Next up is trying out a new pattern for a classic Tee and a dress before I cut into my good fabric. will try to get those done today and start working on the other stuff later this week.

I also organized my fabric stash. I am definitely good for awhile. Last time I updated my inventory I had about 125m on hand. I really want to get that down to a more reasonable level.

I love seeing others makes so please share and keep this thread going!

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »
I’m slowly learning how to use a sewing machine. I’ve always repaired my clothes by hand, but I want to get into more involved altering and doing that by hand takes way too long. I got a $30 used all metal 80’s Singer sewing machine last year and so far I’ve:
  • Repaired a fraying hem on a flat sheet
  • Altered a large T-shirt into a nice fitted one
  • Darned a hole in DW’s jeans
  • Altered some shorts to have a slimmer leg and less saggy butt

I’m quite happy with how everything has turned out so far (it’s certainly not the prettiest stitching but it’s not visible and the difference in fit is visible and that makes the clothes look a million times better).

My goal is to eventually have everything in my wardrobe fit really nicely. I Marie-Kondo’d my T-shirt drawer last week and I now have 2 shirts from that to alter into a slimmer fit. I hope to bang those out this week, then I can Marie-Kondo my pants drawer for a bunch more alteration tasks.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
This week I'm making bento bags, which is fun and uses up some odds and ends. I'm thinking to make 4 of them to give away to my knitting friends. I've also got a shirt cut out for my dh.

I have a lot of things that I'd like to make - I can see them in my mind's eye - but it's tricky to match pattern and fabric. I'm trying to mostly use thrifted or upcycled materials. I did get a serger this summer and have had fun playing with that.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2020, 05:08:25 PM »
I’m slowly learning how to use a sewing machine. I’ve always repaired my clothes by hand, but I want to get into more involved altering and doing that by hand takes way too long. I got a $30 used all metal 80’s Singer sewing machine last year and so far I’ve:
  • Repaired a fraying hem on a flat sheet
  • Altered a large T-shirt into a nice fitted one
  • Darned a hole in DW’s jeans
  • Altered some shorts to have a slimmer leg and less saggy butt

I’m quite happy with how everything has turned out so far (it’s certainly not the prettiest stitching but it’s not visible and the difference in fit is visible and that makes the clothes look a million times better).

My goal is to eventually have everything in my wardrobe fit really nicely. I Marie-Kondo’d my T-shirt drawer last week and I now have 2 shirts from that to alter into a slimmer fit. I hope to bang those out this week, then I can Marie-Kondo my pants drawer for a bunch more alteration tasks.

I finished altering the two shirts I wanted to get to this week, although now I have identified one more to alter and DW added a sweatshirt alteration to my pile. Not sure if I’ll get to those this week or next, but they’re in the queue!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2020, 09:14:57 PM »
Recently had a little burst of sewing energy and sashiko stiched a new panel onto a shirt, made a reusable shopping bag that folds into itself, altered and repaired some pants, and refashioned a dress into a skirt for a friend (cut at waistline and stitched, but she was impressed). I have a big backlog of pieces I still need to remake, but in a few days I'll be in Tokyo's fabrictown so I'll just try to get ideas and interesting notions but very little (or no) actual new yardage. I focus better with refashions anyway. I'm hoping to get some small, useful items like fabric clips to use instead of pins, and an interesting set of bag handles.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
Making some progress on my plan. This dress makes me so happy : https://www.ourfinest.ca/2020/01/sewing-plan-update-i-love-my-dress.html

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
Making some progress on my plan. This dress makes me so happy : https://www.ourfinest.ca/2020/01/sewing-plan-update-i-love-my-dress.html
That's so pretty and it looks super comfortable too!

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »
@PoutineLover it is seriously like pyjamas! Thank you! It's funny I never wore dresses when I started working and always longed to wear jeans rather than dress pants to be comfortable, but leggings and a knit dress are seriously the most comfortable work wear. Look put together and so comfy!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »
Nice job! 

Double brushed poly is soft as pajamas, but if you live in an area that gets hot and humid, it gets really warm. I made a top that I love, but here in the south it’s only wearable in the winter. Unfortunately before figuring that out, I bought 4 yards to make a dress for vacation. That ain’t gonna work...

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
@Maya, are you using a serger or regular sewing machine?  I love that dress you made with the front tie.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2020, 05:10:01 PM »
@DaMa I live in the centre of Canada, so it's pretty mild/cool here most of the time and I'll need sweaters to keep me warm rather than melting in the heat. Good to know though for vacation dresses!

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »
@geekette Thank you!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2020, 09:13:29 PM »
Maybe it doesn't fit this thread, but I just picked up my materials today to try a tent.  Without much of a pattern.  Never made a tent or tarp before so learning about catenary curves, slippery fabrics and how to make reinforcement patches.

It all started when I decided to make my own puffy jacket, stuff sacks, a lap quilt, then my own very light rain coat, and then two different wind jackets.   Only occassoinally with a pattern so the end results are fine for camping and dog walking, but not so much being seen about town in.  :-)  I am still happy, it's a good hobby and mental exercise.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2020, 02:24:58 AM »
Maybe it doesn't fit this thread, but I just picked up my materials today to try a tent.  Without much of a pattern.  Never made a tent or tarp before so learning about catenary curves, slippery fabrics and how to make reinforcement patches.

It all started when I decided to make my own puffy jacket, stuff sacks, a lap quilt, then my own very light rain coat, and then two different wind jackets.   Only occassoinally with a pattern so the end results are fine for camping and dog walking, but not so much being seen about town in.  :-)  I am still happy, it's a good hobby and mental exercise.

My DH is also into sewing outdoor stuff. He made goretex raincoats, paclite jackets and rain trousers, gators, big racksacks of waterproof material. His stuff all works very well.

I think making a tent is quite difficult, but a tarp should be easy.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2020, 12:45:05 AM »
Tarp part is done!   It has a peak that was trickly to get a reinforced "cone" adhered to.  I am using silnylon so using diluted silicone worked great on the seams, but not on fiddly bits -- and I can't put it up outside because it is too cold and rainy.

Lots of learning curve.     I have cut out the floor material, now I just need to figure out how to pattern and sew, then attach the netting.

At the end of the day, my guess is that this thing will have cost me USD$60, including all extra bits needed (zipper, tie outs, thread, "glue", etc).  And it will weigh about 500g including the stakes.

After this, I need to open up my down quilt for camping and add some more down to some of the baffles.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2020, 04:32:53 PM »
@Goldielocks that is awesome! Seeing as you are BC you might want to look at Discovery Trekking outfitters to buy fabric. I've bought from them a few times and have loved the quality.

I've had a week without making any progress but finally just blogged about a favourite outfit I made last year. (https://www.ourfinest.ca/2020/02/my-favourite-elenores.html).

Have another test shirt cut out and hope to make two others in my good fabric once I've finished that one.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2020, 02:29:40 AM »
Tarp part is done!   It has a peak that was trickly to get a reinforced "cone" adhered to.  I am using silnylon so using diluted silicone worked great on the seams, but not on fiddly bits -- and I can't put it up outside because it is too cold and rainy.

Lots of learning curve.     I have cut out the floor material, now I just need to figure out how to pattern and sew, then attach the netting.

At the end of the day, my guess is that this thing will have cost me USD$60, including all extra bits needed (zipper, tie outs, thread, "glue", etc).  And it will weigh about 500g including the stakes.

After this, I need to open up my down quilt for camping and add some more down to some of the baffles.

Could you please post a picture of a similar tent model to you are making?
Will it be single roof or with inner and outer roof?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »

Could you please post a picture of a similar tent model to you are making?
Will it be single roof or with inner and outer roof?
I am working on it today, I will try to set it up to get a photo.
It is a single wall, based on a tarp design with a beak and peak, for sitting up height.
I am adding screening, zipper and a ground cloth.  It uses 1 or 2 trekking poles to set up.  So far I am learning a lot about the angles involved, if it is set tall (135cm high), there is less width inside, so today I need to add a bit more fabric to the back, for example.