Author Topic: DIY - Decking + Backyard + Backyard Office/Extra Room + OPEN SPACE KITCHEN  (Read 23435 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: DIY - Decking + Backyard + Backyard Office/Extra Room + OPEN SPACE KITCHEN
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
Yeah thanks!

Just waiting on the guy to deliver on the counter top!!

And I did something the past week as well... I am currently in Portugal, on vacation.

My mother lives in a big city apartment with about 600 sq ft of outdoor area...

Taking the knowledge of what I learned during summer on making a deck, I did one for my mother and materials were quite cheap.

The difference between the outdoor area - it was just tile ... and makes the space look so much different.

This was much easier than mine I felt :D

Here's the after and Ill try to get the before pictures!

I did the decking, the seating area at the end with the leftovers from deck... lighting... bamboo screen above the concrete wall looks much better!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:20:34 PM by MrSal »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
This will add about 30-50k alone to the value of the house. Its a very hot market here with all the toursits buying houses and almost no inventory.

A house with a nice outdoor area attracts a lot of attention here, making people bid the prices up...

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
Looks great. At first glance I thought, "why is there a ship at the end of that patio?"  That's one harsh looking apartment building, or whatever it is, back there.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »
Looks great. At first glance I thought, "why is there a ship at the end of that patio?"  That's one harsh looking apartment building, or whatever it is, back there.

They probably rent those rooms out now as having a "view".

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »
ahha yes. its ugly that building... however it´s not an apartment complex... its an old market where you can still get fish directly from fisherman... lettuces from little producers and things like that...

I think it will be closing down soon and some nice luxury condo will go up...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
And here its an update of the open space so far... even though we already have the island countertop ... They delivered it wrong... this is oak and walnut, not cherry and walnut as it was requested.

The look is completely different than from the sample so I will probably have to go there this week and be the bearer of bad news to them ...

This thing is gigantic!

I also framed out the french door moldings... just need now to close the island off once i am done with electricty and also put up the glass railing system ... eventually stairs will be replaced.

Waiting as well for kitchen knobs!

I think it looks pretty good!

Only thing that wasnt done by me was the countertop :D

cooking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2017, 04:44:08 PM »
I feel like I just binge watched a series, and was cut off at the cliff hanger!  I'm not seeing a picture that I thought Mr. Sal implied he was putting up in his most recent post.  Am I missing something?

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
I feel like I just binge watched a series, and was cut off at the cliff hanger!  I'm not seeing a picture that I thought Mr. Sal implied he was putting up in his most recent post.  Am I missing something?
Nope, I don't see it either.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2017, 05:06:32 PM »
He used a Facebook image url, which has since expired. Might want to use a more durable image host.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2017, 05:26:37 AM »
I'm so sorry... I thought Facebook images lasted longer... They used to at least. Any how I'll put it up again :)

cooking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
Yes MrSal, I think there are lots of us who would love to see the image remain a permanent part of the thread, as the other images you posted seem to have done.  Your project is really inspirational; so to have the Money Shot missing for any thread latecomers is soooo frustrating!

Obviously, looks like some great work, and shows how resourceful you are.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
I apologize but here it is...

I already have the inside of the island also done and the sides of the railing as well ... so it actually looks more finished!

cooking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2017, 10:39:50 PM »
Wow!  Looks so much lighter and better.  MrSal, thanks for sharing the pictures and descriptions with us.  Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the stairway and railings when you're done with that part.  Please don't forget to post them when you finish.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2018, 10:05:48 PM »
And here I share a little video da Google created for us...

https://youtu.be/SUIL-ikDIWM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SUIL-ikDIWM?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And I already need to update that video since I just spent the past few daysd installing new hardwood floors ...

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
Beautiful work.  Now I see the refrigerator. ;-)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
So... im in need of some help on the best way to attach this.

I have the railing ready to go ... however i am not sure what the best way to attach this is...  At first I was thing pocket holes to the floor but I'm not sure how strong that would be.

The edges of the opening have joists all over pretty much as you can see per the pictures. The right side, has a joist on top of the bottom basement joist and it;s single in width. This sits right on top of the beam that goes across the house in the basement from one end to the other, hence the reason why the floor joist/beam is sitting on top of it. ... the left side of the edge however, is double width. There are two joists there.

I have thought a few ways to do it for example... a mortise type of joint where o would make a little square on the floor and then insert the post with a tenon or something. I can see this working for the right side where there would be enough empty room right next to the joist however on the left side, since its a double 2x8 I am not so sure. I dont want to cut into the joists per se - wouldn';t that make them weaker?

Another option, just pocket holes through it with some strong screws and try to hit the joists underneath with them?

Third option, I am not sure if it would work. The posts at 3x3 ... try to make a notch in the middle point and then rest them on the joists. On the right side I would be able most likely to do the notch and insert the notch through the flooring and then bolt it to the underneath joist from the concealed side instead of the stairs side... the left side however, because its double joisted I couldn't do that probably and the notch would have to be secured through the stair side. The posts are small so notchjing them 1.5 in, i am not sure how off center it would make the whole railing towards the opeining and island.

Some ideas maybe?

What would you guys advise?

Thanks

The attachment to the island I think pocket screws would be enough? The endge of the island right there is 1/2 in plywood facing the side of a 2x4 so there is about 2 in of wood to bite to.

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
Securing newell posts (the vertical part of your railing) so that the railing doesn't wobble, can be hard.  If you put any large amount of pressure on it, you've got a LOT of leverage to pull any screws out of the floor.  So I'd rule out pocket screws.  You could cut a square hole through your floor for the right-hand railing, and secure it to the single joist on that side.  But that still leaves the left-hand side.  I would advise against any sort of notching of the joists.

Here's what I'd do for the left side:  Instead of trying to secure the vertical piece to the joists below, I'd cut the horizontal piece extra long, so that you can cut a hole in the end of the wall you built under the new countertop, feed that horizontal piece through there, and secure it to the framing inside that wall.

I've tried to annotate your photo to make this more clear.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
the right post is also a challenge... i just checked and i have the main trunk of the HVAC system right beneath it... I can't reach the side of the joist and I doubt Id be able to take down the HVAC :D

Thats a good idea... maybe using a mortise into the 2x4 on the channel?

Also, what do you think of this:

It's called sure tite and its a double threaded bolt about 11-12 inches that would screw down the joist and connect the post and then use a nut to tighten it. Essenstially id need to drill a hole from the bottom of the post and another through the side to tighten the bolts...

Maybe using both solutions? Mortise into island and then this bolt into joist?

Here's a picture of how it looks:

dcozad999

• Pencil Stache
Forget the railings and get creative!

How about a sliding countertop extension that fits underneath the existing one and completely hides the fact that the stairs are there?

Hidden Basement.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Forget the railings and get creative!

How about a sliding countertop extension that fits underneath the existing one and completely hides the fact that the stairs are there?

Hidden Basement.

If I had seen this video before I built everything... it could have been like that... but at this point we will go with railings.

This is a super sweet solution btw:

https://www.facebook.com/4MEN.PT/videos/270001086871816/

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
So ... my solution was to use the Sure Tite thingy... along with a 1 1/4 inch dowel into the handrail and into the island as well as pocket screws and wood glue! It feels sturdy ...

Today I am ordering the tempered glass and we are finally done!

Then, onto the basement! Hopefully basement will be easier since its a blank canvas instead of us having to destroy and clean up stuff and work around existing things...

We are going to paint the basement ceiling/joists all white and probably won't close it up or put drywall since the ceiling is low and I don't want to lose inches.

Basement will be open space for most part - for flexibility, costs, and in order to be fast... most divisions/rooms will be made with furniture and things like that... picture a loft type of layout.

Walls will be only the perimeter and the machineery area (furnace... washer./.. etc)

cooking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi MrSal,

Great inspiration here!  Please keep us updated and esp. keep posting pics.  You must have lots of energy.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Hi MrSal,

Great inspiration here!  Please keep us updated and esp. keep posting pics.  You must have lots of energy.

Thanks.

Ill take pictures once the tempered glass is in :)

the rails look great... i dont think im even coating it with stain or any poly ...natural oak looks amazing there

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
PTF

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
Yes, natural oak looks awesome, but you'll want to put *something* on it so it doesn't soak up dirt and grease and such.  I'd suggest a satin polyurethane varnish to help maintain the look.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
And here are the pictures!

You can see the posts along with the tempered glass - damn the tempered glass was expensive! 200$ ! oh well...

There is only one thing missing now... we need to finish the door that leads to the deck - the installer did it wrong and is unleveled and we were waiting for warmer temperatures... should do it sometime this month...

Also, where the fridge is, we are putting bottom cabinets and a new fridge. That's all! oh and open shelving!

I will try to post pictures at night because I installed some spotlights as well ! It adds so much to the livingroom space...

I bought 2 of these and placed them where the old lights were...

They were cheap - about 19$ each light and they add a lot of depth and dimensionality to the room... I regret that I didn't cut holes for ceiling lights on the living room side (it has none) before I installed the insulation. I thought of it but then decided not to but now I regret it...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:00:46 AM by MrSal »

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
Looks amazing!   You have one of the most creative kitchen tables I have ever seen.  Major props to you. 

You could even to add a little extra butcher block (or even painted plywood with leftover kitchen paint?) table on the side with the basement access with upside-down padded hooks that attach to the rails without damaging them so you have more table room for bigger parties.  Or when you need more seating temporarily but don't need to go into the basement (or are willing to "sneak" into the basement via the table).  I see a grand table for 10 with that easy conversion.  :-) Not to give you more work when you just finished! 

I like the directional lights you put into the kitchen a lot.  A good cost effective way to add more lighting.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Looks amazing!   You have one of the most creative kitchen tables I have ever seen.  Major props to you. 

You could even to add a little extra butcher block (or even painted plywood with leftover kitchen paint?) table on the side with the basement access with upside-down padded hooks that attach to the rails without damaging them so you have more table room for bigger parties.  Or when you need more seating temporarily but don't need to go into the basement (or are willing to "sneak" into the basement via the table).  I see a grand table for 10 with that easy conversion.  :-) Not to give you more work when you just finished! 

I like the directional lights you put into the kitchen a lot.  A good cost effective way to add more lighting.

Great minds think alike :D I actually thought of that...

Kind of like this setup with the stoppers to go against the rails...

As of now, the table sits 10 comfortably pretty easily...  with some effort it seats 14 - already tested it! We just need benches though! :D

Creative/unique sometims means that it could be trouble in the future if we were to sell the house... however, so far everyone that has come to the house thinks the opposite. They say it's the prettiest "out of magazine" house in the neighbourhood ... And this is from friends and just strangers popping by ... I have had 3 people already inviting me for dinner to give them tips on their kitchen updates and decor.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
Now if you could also figure a way to make it basement stair wall art or ceiling art you wouldn’t have to store the table away when not in use. Counter height benches are a cool idea for maximizing seating-you’ve given me an idea!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
And as promised here it is during night time... In person it's much brighter but of course the phone camera cannot deal with the high contrast of the scene so some areas look very dark especially because i exposed the picture for the highlights to not be blown... the last pictures are truer to the first ones...

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
Clap, clap, clap. Stands and claps!! Such a beautiful kitchen.  I love that people recognize what a great job you have done in the neighborhood. 

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Yesterday installed a few string lights we had bought at a clearance from target... didn;t have enough to do a zig zag pattern on the ceiling as I intended so I attached the lights to the trellis/vine ...

It sure makes it look good... need to see what we can do about the bugs though! It's a mosquito magnet!!

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It sure makes it look good... need to see what we can do about the bugs though! It's a mosquito magnet!!

Ah mosquitoes - the bane of my existence. I'm super allergic to them and get HUGE swollen welts when I get bit.

This spray worked really well for us last summer (in Mississippi where the mosquitoes can be mistaken for birds): https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cutter-32-fl-oz-Backyard-Bug-Control-Spray-Concentrate/4441845

I've heard the Thermacell brand works well: https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=thermacell

You can also try planting lemongrass, citronella, or geraniums in planters and see how that works for you! That's my next project.

By the way, your deck is beautiful and the lights were a great addition!

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
Screen porch project? ;-)

The lights look really good!  So does your deck.  If you find something that works for the bugs, I'd like to hear about it. Our FIRE house has terrible bugs.

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Screen porch project? ;-)

The lights look really good!  So does your deck.  If you find something that works for the bugs, I'd like to hear about it. Our FIRE house has terrible bugs.

I just heard good things about this product from a co-worker: https://spartanmosquito.com/
One kit covers an acre for 90 days. The store that carries them around me sells the kit for $20.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
thanks! Ill try that... I hate mosquitos... I am a city boy living in a rural area so I hate the pesty mosquitos. While we do have them where we lived, here its swarms of mosquitos at night