Author Topic: Displaying produce?  (Read 2999 times)

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
Displaying produce?
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
I cook a lot, and use huge loads of produce relative to being a single, smallish person - if I buy one piece of fruit, I buy a dozen of that particular fruit, and I usually go in for 10lbs of onions or sweet potatoes at a time. I am never without about thirty pounds of non-refrigerated plant matter.

I am completely out of pantry space, however, and produce is very classically aesthetically appealing. Might as well put the stuff to double duty - but my last, huge, attractive fruit basket is lost to me, and frankly one big basket tends to mash the softer things.

Has anybody come up with an attractive way to keep, say, twenty to thirty pounds of produce on a counter, ideally in a multi-tiered or vertical orientation so it's not taking up a whole 6' countertop? I really don't want to delegate this to my wallet and the Container Store. I'm fairly crafty and have considered handmade baskets but most things sturdy enough (chicken wire) will also cut into the fruit. I specifically want to be able to see what's in storage at a glance, both to avoid waste and to ensure there's adequate ventilation.

I'll take all suggestions, crafty or otherwise (for imitative purposes); pictures are encouraged - preemptive thanks for any replies!

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Displaying produce?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »
I think the traditional way is with stacked fruit baskets, plus hanging of bananas from hooks under your cabinets.  But if you don't already have such things, I wouldn't know how to go about making them.

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 07:45:47 AM »
Get a few tiered hanging fruit/vegetable baskets. They are pretty cheap online.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
Get a few tiered hanging fruit/vegetable baskets. They are pretty cheap online.

Check craigslist/garage sales for them too

lise

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
on etsy search for "hanging fruit basket" and see if you can replicate any of these yourself since you said you were crafty.

I definitely recommend hanging - frees up counter space.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »
We thought about the hanging baskets but went with a couple of French cotton net bags, which we hang off of our pantry shelves.

Here's an interesting concept.
http://www.notechmagazine.com/2012/01/saving-food-from-the-fridge.html

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing that velocistar, what a neat idea.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!