Author Topic: Dishwasher gets stuck in the beginning of cycle  (Read 7139 times)

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
Dishwasher gets stuck in the beginning of cycle
« on: December 01, 2019, 12:38:05 PM »
I have a Bosch SHEM63W52N that is getting stuck in the beginning of the cycle, exactly 7-9 minutes into it, depending on the cycle type. It will start, seem to function normally, and then not progress through the cycle. It is spraying, filling, and draining fine. It doesn't get far enough along to dispense the detergent. The display will show the same time remaining no matter how long it runs.

I have tried:

• Removing power by shutting off the circuit breaker.
  • Cleaning the filters
  • Cleaning the spray arms
  • Running each type of cycle
  • Manually opening the detergent dispenser when it is stuck
  • Running a cycle with the detergent dispenser open
  • Running the diagnostics cycle
  • Called Bosch - They told me to do things I have already done

The diagnostic cycle outputs e04 on s01. Internet search results say it is a flow sensor, but as far as I can tell, parts diagrams and lists don't show anything the resembles one. Also, the diagnostics cycle seems to get stuck in a loop.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:06:47 PM by tyler2016 »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Dishwasher gets stuck in the beginning of cycle
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
A technical manual isn't jumping out using google, the error codes aren't either and I'm out of time for the moment.  You're already a few steps ahead.  Call Bosch?

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 04:06:02 PM »
I already did that, Bosch told me to do what I have already done and gave me numbers for local appliance repair businesses.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »
Is your hot water working? Sometimes a dishwasher won’t progress until the water heats up, and if the hot water is off then it won’t ever cycle onto the next phase.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
And if your hot water is working, the only other thing I’d think to try is shut off the power, take off the kick plate and feel if there’s standing water in the base tray. I had a Bosch that had a clog in the internal filter and it backed up the water until it leaked out into the base tray. I would try to run the dishwasher and it’d just go into the drain cycle and wouldn’t stop draining even though the dishwasher was empty. Once I removed the water from the base tray behind the kick plate  (soaking it up with a sponge and squeezing it out into a bucket), then the dishwasher would progress.

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 06:25:04 PM »
How about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OcW_NH-xTw

Why do dishwashers need to be so complicated?   You could not get me to buy an appliance that had diagnostic codes.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »
The diagnostic cycle outputs e04 on s01. Internet search results say it is a flow sensor, but as far as I can tell, parts diagrams and lists don't show anything the resembles one.

Quote from: https://bosch-dishwasher-errors.com/bosch-dishwasher-error-code-e04/
What to do if the parts are cleaned, but the error code appears again? Then replace the flow sensor. It is designed to control the amount of water that enters the nozzles. The element is installed in some Bosch models of instead of the usual pressure switch. The stop signal informs the control module from the sensor. As the result, the appliance is programmed to stop water intake.

Is it possible that your model has a Pressure Switch instead of a flow sensor?

fat-johnny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
I have a Bosch dishwasher, and mine would not progress through the, or it would get to the end of the cycle, and have "1 minute" left on the cycle, and would stay like that for 2 or 4 or 6 hours.

Some Googling led me to this.  Mine has a dispenser for rinse agent, which I did not particularly use for whatever reason.  I just left the rinse agent reservoir empty.  Someone somewhere posted that there is a sensor in that reservoir, and wthout rinse agent, it throws the whole cycle and cycle-timer out of whack.  I filled the rinse agent with Jet Dry, and my Bosch has been running tip-top ever since.

Worth a try,
FJ

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 06:10:17 AM »

Some Googling led me to this.  Mine has a dispenser for rinse agent, which I did not particularly use for whatever reason.  I just left the rinse agent reservoir empty.  Someone somewhere posted that there is a sensor in that reservoir, and wthout rinse agent, it throws the whole cycle and cycle-timer out of whack.  I filled the rinse agent with Jet Dry, and my Bosch has been running tip-top ever since.

Worth a try,
FJ

I tried this last night and it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 06:11:47 AM »
Is your hot water working? Sometimes a dishwasher won’t progress until the water heats up, and if the hot water is off then it won’t ever cycle onto the next phase.

Yes, my hot water works. I did notice that if I open the dishwasher up when it is running, the water feels like it hasn't been heated by the dishwasher at all.

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 06:16:28 AM »
And if your hot water is working, the only other thing I’d think to try is shut off the power, take off the kick plate and feel if there’s standing water in the base tray. I had a Bosch that had a clog in the internal filter and it backed up the water until it leaked out into the base tray. I would try to run the dishwasher and it’d just go into the drain cycle and wouldn’t stop draining even though the dishwasher was empty. Once I removed the water from the base tray behind the kick plate  (soaking it up with a sponge and squeezing it out into a bucket), then the dishwasher would progress.

You can't get under it by removing the kick plate. The base of the dishwasher comes down so close to the floor I can't even see under it. I guess I'll have to pull it out to see if there is any water under it or anything obviously wrong.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »

Yes, my hot water works. I did notice that if I open the dishwasher up when it is running, the water feels like it hasn't been heated by the dishwasher at all.

Maybe something related to the heat element or the element itself has failed, and the dishwasher is waiting for a temp increase.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »
I’ve had several problems with my Bosch. For one thing, you have to use the recommended detergent, because some others are “too foamy” and gum up the sensors.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »

Maybe something related to the heat element or the element itself has failed, and the dishwasher is waiting for a temp increase.

+1 I would check the heat element as well, especially since the water feels like it hasn't been heated.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »
Our daughter's place and our place both had / have old bosch dishwashers with [ETA: what sounds like] this issue.  Her partner googled it, found a youtube about taking it apart and re-soldering a broken heater relay and it works fine now.  We're planning to do ours as well soon.  Nothing to lose really.  Our pump is all kinds of noisy too, so a replacement may be necessary at some point.

[EDIT to add link] See if this is something you feel confident to try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjomnZu9wEg
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:03:48 PM by BNgarden »

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
Sounds like a control board issue.  Not a cheap fix or easy to find part.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »
Our old Bosch dishwasher (not the same model), had a similar issue where it wouldn't start the actual wash cycle.  It would just make the start "noises", maybe spray in a little water, not enter the wash cycle, and think it was done.

Using the power the internet, DH discovered this was a common issue with the particular model.  The cheap "solution" was to start the dishwasher, remain standing beside it, wait for it to make a particular noise, then immediately open and close the door.  This would magically reset the cycle.  We used this work around for about 2 years.