Author Topic: Diamond core drill bits are a girl's best friend?  (Read 3785 times)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Diamond core drill bits are a girl's best friend?
« on: April 16, 2015, 07:57:47 AM »
I've been trying to drill holes into my bathroom wall to install a fixed shower rod (the tension rod just falls down all the time). I bought bosch glass and drill bits and was using the 1/4 inch one, but over an hour and a half of drilling not even one hole has broken through yet! I realized on looking at the package that they're not for natural stone, which is what I have--very large natural stone tiles, floor to ceiling, at least 1/4 of an inch thick. It seems I should be using a diamond core drill bit instead. Would that do the trick with a regular ryobi battery pack 12v drill? Or should I just task rabbit this?

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
Re: Diamond core drill bits are a girl's best friend?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
1. You can tighten the tension on the rod if it's falling down all the time- or stop yanking on the curtain. LOL

2. You need a masonry bit. - (cheap at lowes or home depot)

3. Ideally, you'd have a stronger drill as well. (Nothing less than 18v- you can probably "rent" one at local home depot or buy one relatively cheap- power DOES make a difference) If you do DIY stuff, you will have use for it. I use mine all the time.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Thanks! Can I avoid using a hammer drill, or is that needed too? I've pretty much given up on getting the tension rod to stick (this is our second one, and while easier to reinstall, it also isn't reliable), hence trying to drill. If I need a new drill and/or a rental, I may just give up and outsource this, as drill rental prices at Home Depot in NYC are quite high.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »
You could order one of these (be sure to use 20% off coupon code).  Probably not great, but good enough to get the job done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/hammer-drills/12-in-variable-speed-reversible-hammer-drill-69947.html

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
Unless you're drilling through some thick concrete you do not need a hammer drill.
Got to home depot or lowes and buy yourself a decent 18v drill. It will handle anything DIY you need to do in your home. There's tons of brands and they usually have some decent sales. Additionally, the 18v tools will usually have other tools that use the same interchangeable battery (flashlight, skill saw, sawz-all, etc.)

Consider it an investment. MMM does and this is his cult. LOL

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »
Now that you know you need the diamond bit you are on the right track, this is what I use to drill holes for handles faucets etc when tiling a bathroom.  I would recommend using an electrical drill rather than a battery powered drill as the electric drill will be more powerful and be able to get through the thick tile.  You do not need a hammer drill. The last bathroom I remodeled- I used about 1/4 inch thick travertine and a diamond bit with electric drill worked just fine.  Also, I would recommend that you need to keep it wet as you attempt to drill to keep it cool and prevent the blade of the bit from overheating. Take a cheap old plastic water bottle and cut a small hole in the top of the cap so you can squeeze the water on the surface as you drill, it may be easier to have a second set of hands to do this for you.  Then just wipe up the water afterword. Good luck!

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
I would caution against using a hammer drill as you could crack the tiles.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
Thanks all! I'll give it another try with the diamond / masonry bit (will ask for a specific rec at the hardware store) and hopefully I can finish up all four holes in less time than I've already spent drilling!

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
Don't write off pawn shops as a source of great tools for cheap.  Most of my power tools came from the local shop for almost nothing.  I'm not big into cosmetics and usually the use of a tool ONE time offsets the cost of having someone else perform the job that I am using the tool for.

Pooja Sharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 06:48:54 AM »
Rather than buying all such you make it do from a local masonry at lows and cheap charges.

Or just try out to tighten the tension as well as wrap it up with tape...if you want

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!