Author Topic: Deep cleaning own carpets  (Read 2205 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Deep cleaning own carpets
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
My DH and I are getting ready to deep clean/shampoo our own carpets.  We bought the (highly recommended) soap for the machines from Costco.  Now we just need to get it done.

Any advice on the order in which to do the rooms?

How long will it take to dry?

Other practical tips?

Anyone ever done it and wished they would have hired it done (for a better result)?

tvan

• Stubble
Re: Deep cleaning own carpets
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
Did you rent a machine (like the rug doctor)? 

I've done it several times.  I had one of those floor fans that you can face straight down and it significantly increases drying time. 

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »
Haven't rented one yet, but that's the plan... It will be a "Rug Doctor" type machine.

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
I always do my own carpets, couch and car with a rental machine. Vacuum really well with your regular vacuum first. We have really soft water here, so I only use about half the recommended amount of soap. If you use too much soap it leaves a greasy film on the carpet that just attracts more dirt.

Start in the furthest corner of the room and work your way out the door. If you have a partner, switch off. Those machines are heavy and they make me tired fast. Empty the dirty water frequently to make the machine lighter.

Dump the dirty water outside, especially if you have pets. The water is disgusting, greasy and if you have pets it's full of hair. The hair can clog your drains really fast (ask me how I know).

Drying time depends on heat and humidity. Hopefully it's still warm where you are. Just do whatever you need to make the house hot and dry. If I ever get stuck cleaning the carpets when it's too cold to open the windows I run our dehumidifier.

Make sure there's cold beer in the fridge for afterwards.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »
You may also want to do a rinse pass with clean water to get the soap out. I found that I didn't, and it actually got dirty faster because of the soap still in the carpet.

Also, get as much up and off the carpet as you can. It's easier to remove all furniture. Have something ready to go to put under the furniture legs for the stuff you can't move completely. I cut up some plastic bags and put pieces under each leg.

Something easy and cold for dinner afterwards. Plus your adult beverage of choice.