Author Topic: Cutting Granite Countertops  (Read 11281 times)

darkelenchus

• Bristles
  • True wealth comes from good health and wise ways.
Cutting Granite Countertops
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:55:52 AM »
We're looking to replace our counter tops and have been considering granite. Didn't realize how expensive it was, though (cheapest we found as $25 sq. ft., including install). I suspect most of the cost comes from labor.

Does anyone here have experience with buying granite and installing DIY? Is it worth it to get the tools & put in the time or to pay the install price?

JohnGalt

• Bristles
Re: Cutting Granite Countertops
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »
I don't have any DIY advice - but I have granite being installed next week.

$25 / ft installed is much cheaper than anything I saw while I was looking. Does that include shaping the edges (priced by linear feet from what I've seen)?

The first quote I got from an independent guy - the slab of granite was only $700 but his final price to cut and install it (with me doing tear out and connecting the plumbing) came out to $3,200 so it's definitely mostly labor.  He of course didn't want to provide the $ / ft cost - but I did the math and it came out to $70 / ft.

I ended up going with Home Depot instead - they were about half the price and offered 0% financing for 24 months. 

Since they do the cutting for the cooktop on site - cutting might not be that difficult - but the shaping and polishing the edges probably is.  You might see if you could go straight to the granite supply place and see if you could just buy the granite and have them cut it if you'll do the templating and pick it up for install.  That might save you a decent amount. 

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:59 AM »
$25 / ft installed is much cheaper than anything I saw while I was looking. Does that include shaping the edges (priced by linear feet from what I've seen)?

Yes.

I ended up going with Home Depot instead - they were about half the price and offered 0% financing for 24 months. 

The best price we found at Home Depot was $50 sq. ft. I was told that they don't sell the granite by itself, i.e. you've got to have it installed.

You might see if you could go straight to the granite supply place and see if you could just buy the granite and have them cut it if you'll do the templating and pick it up for install.  That might save you a decent amount. 

Good suggestion. I'll look in to that.

JohnGalt

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
I think your $25/ft price is really pretty good and would probably just go with that if I was you (though I guess that depends on how many square feet you have).

For Home Depot - they are usually more expensive, but I happened to get in on a special they had going on here a couple weeks ago that got me down to about $35/ft. 

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »
I think your $25/ft price is really pretty good and would probably just go with that if I was you (though I guess that depends on how many square feet you have).

194 sq. ft. So it'll run around $5k.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
Still fucking cheap for that much space.

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
Still fucking cheap for that much space.

Yeah, I'm beginning to realize just how cheap it is. We might just go with it.