Author Topic: Cork floor over hardwood?  (Read 1394 times)

zeruel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cork floor over hardwood?
« on: October 06, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »
I have an existing hardwood floor. Its in good condition, but I don't particularly like hardwood. Its cold, its slippery, and its hard. Its also very noisy, especially since I have a toddler.

I was thinking of putting a floating cork floor over the existing hardwood, possibly with some underlayment. At least in the living room and dining room; I was  going to avoid the kitchen, since my understanding is that type of floor doesn't deal well with water, although I will need some kind of transition there (the dining room is mostly open to the kitchen).

My reasons for wanting to put it over the existing floor are that, it saves a lot of labor, and should I ever want to sell the place hardwood is more valuable. I could just take out the floating cork floor, put the round part of the trim back down, and voila: hardwood floors.

I haven't been able to find much information about this, other than people sayings its possible. Are there any obvious problems with doing it this way? Any gotchas? Would it have a tendency to trap moisture between the hardwood and cork?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:48:36 AM by zeruel »

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cork floor over hardwood?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:41:47 PM »
The cork should do a good job preserving the hardwood for the next homeowner who appreciates a proper floor. ;)

I have cork in the kitchen. You're right, it is warmer, quieter, and softer on the feet than hardwood. Still...

zeruel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
I should also add that I am doing this partially out of pity for my unfortunate downstairs neighbor (its a condo unit), and they have offered to pay for it. So while I want it to be quieter in my unit, I also want to reduce impact sound transmitting through the floor. But I am not willing to remodel the whole place for that, and I want to do some testing with samples to see if it actually helps them out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:43:55 PM by zeruel »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 09:10:20 AM »
If you're trying to cut down on noise, then carpet or rugs will have a huge impact. If you're more concerned about cost vs. appearance (or just want to test), then carpet remnants are cheap.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
Why not get some thick area rugs?  These can be really fun or really formal and not expensive.  Check rugs.com 

Round shag rugs are really fun and these are $49 each

https://rugs.com/terracotta-rounds-solid-shag-area-rug-6255650?pos=3&rt=aisle

zeruel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:42 AM »
I already have area rugs, with the thickest felt padding I could find underneath them. They do a good job on with impact noise on the area they cover, but obviously nothing on the areas they don't. They cut down on the echoey ness of the room some what, but again not that much. So, basically, I have tried it and found it helpful but inadequate. And I don't want to do wall-to-wall carpeting.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!