Author Topic: Conspicuous Construction (AKA the "what are you building right now?" thread)  (Read 33122 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
I like the planter beds!  Galvanized panels for the sides?

Yep, the "economy" galvanized roofing - comes in 8' lengths, so each piece makes 4 24" panels.  I didn't have time to scrounge materials because I wanted to build these while my dad was here to help me, but it would probably be pretty easy to find some roofing from an old shed or something for free.  The blade to cut it with a circular saw was only like $4.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
I'm on to the next project -- more deconstruction right now than construction.  I just gutted our old house's kitchen yesterday, preparing for a total kitchen re-do.  I'm looking for used cabinets, I've been eyeing the 'builder grade' new stuff at Home Depot-- not sure what I'm going to do yet. 

Anyway, here's a 'before' pic.  Somebody, somewhere (in the 70s?) thought this fake brick was a good idea. 

And here's what it looked like after a hard day's work yesterday.  I pulled the upper cabinets down by myself, thinking I'd either possibly re-use them or donate them.  I probably shouldn't have bothered.

Yes, the drywall is coming down also, as well as the remnants of the fake brick wall.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
I like the planter beds!  Galvanized panels for the sides?

Yep, the "economy" galvanized roofing - comes in 8' lengths, so each piece makes 4 24" panels.  I didn't have time to scrounge materials because I wanted to build these while my dad was here to help me, but it would probably be pretty easy to find some roofing from an old shed or something for free.  The blade to cut it with a circular saw was only like $4.

Old roofers trick is to use an old circular saw blade turned around. Ruins the blade for anything else (so only sacrifice an old one). Make sure to wear hearing and eye protection it gets really loud.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
^ what the fuck. metalworker russ says please do not do this

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
^ what the fuck. metalworker russ says please do not do this

Why not lol its worked for me for years. I guess I should put a legal disclaimer... do not do what I do lol

ProfWinkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What just happened?
    • CACI International
Bike Rack for my apartment complex

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!