Author Topic: Conspicuous Construction (AKA the "what are you building right now?" thread)  (Read 33082 times)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
So there's the table thread already, but I'm pretty sure people build things other than tables sometimes too. Feel free to leave tablechat over there, or bring it here, or doublepost, or whatever. I just want to see your projects.

ETA: not just woodworking! building computer code? sure! metalwork? ok! all the things!

For instance, I'm working on a sofa/daybed sort of thing. This is what my living room looks like right now:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:06:41 PM by Russ »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Oh, fun!

Long front porch at the moment, though my better half is on construction and I'm on life maintenance/ KP / side hustle / whatever else duty.

Now, how do I post pictures? Do I need external hosting?

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
Finishing up an inlayed veneer sign for someone. I sell a bit of stuff to pay for tools.

I also have a flag case that I'm building for a charity that donates flag cases to spouses/family of soliders who were killed in action.

Other than that, I'm in the general process of building storage/jigs for my shop

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
I have built my own home.  We moved in downstairs just over a year ago and I've been working on other parts since.  Right now I am finishing up one of my children's rooms.  Needs one more coat of mud tonight with the finish coat (hopefully) tomorrow.  Normally I hire out mudding but this time, partly out of desire to be more MMM, I decided to do it myself with some limited help from friends.

Later this week it is prime, paint, finish electrical, then install closet shelves, and doors.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
I've been working on a bathroom remodel for longer than I care to admit. Ok not really a remodel more like build a new bathroom. Moved the walls around and made it a lot more user friendly. The old one I had to sit on the toilet sideways cause my knees would hit the vanity. I see the light at the end of the tunnel now

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
I'm always up to something... This weekend I cut down a stool so my daughter could use it at her desk, and the leftover part got me thinking... so I took an odd round scrap of Paperstone countertop I had and made another stool.  The scrap had a small hole drilled through it near the outside edge so I designed it to do away with that bit.  The idea was to make it look like a peach or lily pad but my daughter thinks it looks like a butt.  It's a very low stool, like a milking stool, makes a good foot rest/ottoman.

I used a grinder to give the groove some shape, a router around the edges and lots of quality time with a random orbit sander and hand sinding, finishing with 600 grit and some tile sealer/enhancer.  Paperstone is cool stuff, you can work it with wood tools just barely.  I used dowels and wood glue to attach the leg assembly to the bottom.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
Threw this together in an hour or so earlier tonight. Drawer utensil organizer out of some red oak I had laying around.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
@Arctica your inlaid sign is amazing! Would love to see this in person.

We are embarking on another reno project in Sicily - it's what we do together during our holidays. This is more terrifying than our first one: there's no sewer or electrics or ANYthing yet (we'll get them connected fall 2014 after DH flies over to sign the papers). We hope to turn it into an art studio/rental flat by spring 2014, doing some intensive renovations over xmas/new years.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
In the interests of being more energy efficient and keeping the original wood windows, I'm working on interior storm windows with acrylic sheets and weatherstripping for use in winter and summer.

hokiegb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
In the same boat as Hedge_87, hoping to finally finish up a bathroom remodel in the next few weeks. Actually, I would have been done by now except that I decided to take a good look under the sink and found all that black crap that looked suspiciously like mold. And then once I ripped out that, and the drywall, and the subfloor, I decided that I might as well put a nicer bathtub in while I was at it...

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
I'm building kitchen cabinets, as part of a super-budget, whole-house remodel.  $10K for the whole place didn't allow room for store-bought cabinets.  I've built 5 drawer bases and a sink base so far.  It's my first time doing drawers.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:56:51 AM by Weedy Acres »

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
All right, how many bathrooms do we have under renovation?!  I'm doing the master bathroom in my old house.  Inspired by MMM, I gutted it and I'm doing my first shower pan from scratch.  Here's what it looked like when I left earlier tonight:

And here are more photos of progress along the way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26276815@N07/sets/72157641137716393/

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
A lot of great projects here!

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
I'm building kitchen cabinets, as part of a super-budget, whole-house remodel.  $10K for the whole place didn't allow room for store-bought cabinets.  I've built 5 drawer bases and a sink base so far.  It's my first time doing drawers.

I have plans to build my own kitchen cabinets as well (I will probably purchase pre-made doors).  I have some cabinet making experience back when I worked for a contractor but he had his shop all set up with the proper router bits etc I was just the guy that ran all the material through.  He also built the drawers with some sort of dovetail jig.  I was wondering how you were joining those drawers?  I don't think I'll have the patience to learn how to dovetail.

jjquantz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'll post mine, even though the workmanship is embarrassingly bad, because the result has been many more hours of exercise time on the trainer this winter. Last year I was reduced to watching movies and stuff when I would ride and I really hated that and, as a result, didn't ride much.  Since I built the desk for the bike I've been on the trainer 38 days out of the last 40.  Reading this forum and working on my finance spreadsheets is LOTS more interesting than a movie.

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
I'm also building a sofa/daybed, mostly using wood from our old couch...I stripped it down to the frame, then took that apart. 

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble

I have plans to build my own kitchen cabinets as well (I will probably purchase pre-made doors).  I have some cabinet making experience back when I worked for a contractor but he had his shop all set up with the proper router bits etc I was just the guy that ran all the material through.  He also built the drawers with some sort of dovetail jig.  I was wondering how you were joining those drawers?  I don't think I'll have the patience to learn how to dovetail.

If you don't want to dovetail, you can use box/finger joints with a super simple jig, or you can also do a locking rabbet joint. Additionally, if you have a router, you can get a lock miter router bit and use that as well.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles

I'm buying the doors and drawer fronts as well.  When I was researching drawers, I found multiple options, and people said that with today's glue, dovetail wasn't necessarily the gold standard.  So i went for a simple rabbet joint that seems very solid (we've got some of them loaded down with glass pans).  I posted more details and closer-up photos here: http://littlebeau.weebly.com/cabinets.html

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble

I'm buying the doors and drawer fronts as well.  When I was researching drawers, I found multiple options, and people said that with today's glue, dovetail wasn't necessarily the gold standard.  So i went for a simple rabbet joint that seems very solid (we've got some of them loaded down with glass pans).  I posted more details and closer-up photos here: http://littlebeau.weebly.com/cabinets.html

Modern glue is stronger than the surrounding wood when applied correctly. The biggest difference comes many years down the line, particularly if it ever gets introduced to water and or heat. For those situations you would want an additional mechanical interlock. Hence the dovetails.

You can also do what you did with the rabbet joint, but by sending dowels through the sides into the front and rear panels which adds a mechanical interlock in addition to the glue joint. The person in the photo below basically made a dovetailed rabbet, but the same principle applies to a standard rabbet.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:40:50 PM by ArcticaMT6 »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
I love woodworking threads.   I really need to get started on my deck furniture for the summer.    Has anyone built an exterior sofa and sewed the cushions?

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Now I need a stationary bike stand and a desk on top - love that!

Samsam

• Bristles
Oh! what a fun thread.  I have been working on making an end table.  The top is made out of concrete with some shards of glass from broken wine bottles and the bottom is made out of 2x4's and stained black.  I got the design for the table off of Ana White's diy page.  Next I am going to make a showcase wine table the same way, but done a little better.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
I've been building a tiny house for the past year. I only have the outside done. I need to get started on the inside. I am so tired of construction that I want to cry. This was fun for a while but working full time and tiny house on the weekends was just pushing way to hard.

Mori

• Stubble
I was just going to paint the bathroom and do a few face upgrades, but then I found suspicious wiring (hot wired to neutral) and a bit of mold, so demo is on!

...I do plan to put it back together, though. Just have to learn more than I expected for a "small" project.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Soon there will have to be a thread dedicated to Shower remodels inspired by MMM's DIY post.  I have it in my hopper of things to do.  Hopefully I will be able to add pics for it soon!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye

I'm doing finish work on my upstairs.  (When we built the house, we left it unfinished.)

So far (completed part):
* built out a soffit in one upstairs room (to run a new HVAC return from downstairs near the wood stove)
* drywall, tape, texture the last of the rooms
* painted upstairs
* installed a V-groove wooden ceiling in one room
* tub/shower surround (backer board + subway tile)
* tile bathroom floor

Still to go:
* wood floor.  (I have a pile of old gym flooring in fairly rough shape.  I'm trying to rehab it and floor the stairs and upstairs.)
* trim and doors and closet buildouts
* paint trim

At the rate I'm moving, I should easily be done by 2032.

Samsam

• Bristles
Does anyone have plans or has built a Murphy bed before?  I'm planning to do that in one of the smaller bedrooms so it can still be used as an arts and crafts room. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Does anyone have plans or has built a Murphy bed before?  I'm planning to do that in one of the smaller bedrooms so it can still be used as an arts and crafts room.

I'd love to see those, too.  That is on my (very long term) plan.  I have seen hardware kits for them ... you just have to design the cabinetry around them.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
You guys are impressive.  Here's my latest creation:

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
You guys are impressive.  Here's my latest creation:

Nice!  Is that mahogany?

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
Another evening, another bit of mud:

Tomorrow I hope to get a top on the curb and start on the back wall.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
Hoping to get started on a computer desk to match my coffee table this weekend. It will be solid walnut, and I bought a real nice piece of 2" thick stuff for the legs. This will be my first time making solid wood panels instead of using ply within a solid wood frame.

This is the end goal, but imagine it in a chocolate brown.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:05:43 AM by ArcticaMT6 »

Samsam

• Bristles
yay, table finished and in the house!  My SO really likes it; that was the biggest thing I was concerned about.  Only thing I might have to do is take the foot pads off and trim maybe an inch off the bottom as it is slightly higher than the couch .

Matte

• Stubble
Moving a 32x16 above ground pool and large pressure treated deck from my neighbours to my backyard.

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
bathroom demo! working towards complete renovation

it's been FAR overdue for a LONG time

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Moving a 32x16 above ground pool and large pressure treated deck from my neighbours to my backyard.

Do you plan to move it while they're on vacation? Won't they notice that it's missing?

;)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache

Do you plan to move it while they're on vacation? Won't they notice that it's missing?

;)

Just take some spray paint and throw some gang signs on the fence. Should keep them off your trail

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
Well, I decided to hold off on my computer desk. Not 100% sure where I want it to go anymore, and I'm considering integrating it into the kitchen if/when we re-do it (stock builder grade cabinets are falling apart).

So, I'm building a pair of end tables instead. Got a bunch of wood planed down tonight. I'll try and remember to post updates so people here see alternatives to pocket holes (which I really don't care for).

hokiegb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
And after another solid weekend of working on the bathroom, all of the tile is up in the new shower surround.

And I now see why people like bigger tiles - less tiles to set and less joints to grout!

Mori

• Stubble
And after another solid weekend of working on the bathroom, all of the tile is up in the new shower surround.

And I now see why people like bigger tiles - less tiles to set and less joints to grout!

Just curious--any reason you went with/prefer smaller tiles? I have to pick out tiles for my new bath so I'm curious.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye

Not just that, but wider sanded grout lines are much more forgiving.  Little errors here and there don't show up nearly as much as with lots of small tiles and tight lines.   

Samsam

• Bristles
Well, I decided to hold off on my computer desk. Not 100% sure where I want it to go anymore, and I'm considering integrating it into the kitchen if/when we re-do it (stock builder grade cabinets are falling apart).

So, I'm building a pair of end tables instead. Got a bunch of wood planed down tonight. I'll try and remember to post updates so people here see alternatives to pocket holes (which I really don't care for).

Oh I'd like to see the alternative to pocket holes.  My first end table I didn't put much thought into where the screws were going (other than just holding the wood together) so I switched to pocket screws for the 2nd table...it looks much better.  I would love to see even another option.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble

Oh I'd like to see the alternative to pocket holes.  My first end table I didn't put much thought into where the screws were going (other than just holding the wood together) so I switched to pocket screws for the 2nd table...it looks much better.  I would love to see even another option.

What I will be using is going to be mostly Mortise & Tenon joints. Here's a photo that shows what I'm talking about:

The minimum you will need is a hand saw, a drill, and a chisel, though I will be using my tablesaw and a router.

Basically the idea is you cut the tenon, and slip it into the mortise. You want a pretty snug fit. It shouldn't fall apart when you hold it up by one piece without any glue in it. This joint has a much larger glue surface area so it is a lot stronger than pocket screws or simply butt joints glued together.

Samsam

• Bristles
Oh gotcha.  I will try doing that on my murphy bed as it needs to be stronger.  Also...no one has given me murphy bed schematics yet...what is up with that?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
the daybed as she stands:
finished the base

up close of the legs I designed/made: sandblasted aluminum with white acetal feet (nonmarring, also look hella fly)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:38:44 PM by Russ »

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
the daybed as she stands:

That looks great!  Extra points for custom metalwork.

Here's what I'm working on; a fancy "shed" for friends/clients:

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
just demolded a 36x18 concrete slab for a tabletop aaaaaand it's uneven by .5" corner to corner :/

good thing I bought an extra bag!

DK

• Stubble
Basement Redo. Turned out much better than I had hoped. Slim to nill construction experience.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Nothing as interesting as all of your projects, but I'm very happy to have finished this piece of fencing, which hides our nasty-ass weed lot from the street:

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
just demolded a 36x18 concrete slab for a tabletop aaaaaand it's uneven by .5" corner to corner :/

good thing I bought an extra bag!

I'll be doing this next weekend.

Do you know why it came out uneven?  Was it due to your mold or an uneven surface?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!