Author Topic: Cleaning Built Up Cooking Gunk Off Wood-ish Cabinet  (Read 3100 times)

Vandal09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cleaning Built Up Cooking Gunk Off Wood-ish Cabinet
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »
I have a cabinet that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond that holds all my entertaining. It was sitting in the kitchen, and now that I've moved, it's back in the dining area where it belongs. Unfortunately, the top of the cabinet is corroded with a film from what I'm assuming was from being so close to the stove (smoke, air, grease, etc). The cabinet isn't actual hard wood, and I did assemble it, so I know that it's not chintzy pressboard. How do I go about cleaning off the top of the cabinet? Using Pledge furniture polish didn't do much. Google is overwhelming with choices and I don't want to ruin the cabinet finish.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Cleaning Built Up Cooking Gunk Off Wood-ish Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
Try dishwashing soap and a damp rag. You're going to be trying to remove cooking grease, so you need something that will cut through grease. Use a soapy rag at first, then rinse the rag and wipe down as much as needed to remove residue (rinse and repeat). Just don't soak the cabinet (wring out rag each time very well), as if it is any sort of pressboard it could permanently damage the finish.

If you need a bit more scrubby power than dishsoap, then try a paste of baking soda with a damp cloth; sprinkle it on damp cloth, then scrub lightly at the area. Rinse rag, wipe down area and repeat until clean.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
Try rubbing alcohol and a scrubby pad for non-stick pans. Whatever you use, try it on a small, out-of-sight spot first.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
Method cleaner.  Took years of grease off a hood vent in a few minutes.  I would test in an obscure spot first though, to be sure it doesn't damage the finish.

Any cleaner with orange peel/citrus.   Our first house had wood kitchen cabinets that were gross with the previous owners grease and sticky fingers.  The orange cleaner cut through that gunge in no time, and left a nice sheen on the wood too.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
I've been through this a few times in the past year.  TSP is your super-friend.  It only costs a few bucks at a Home Depot.  It often comes in these containers that look like milk cartons but it's a crystal.  Make sure you use gloves (and possibly goggles) when using it.  Bad for the environment too--don't throw it in a storm drain.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAVOGRAN-1-lb-Box-TSP-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner-10621/202935861

But you certainly won't need 1lb of the stuff!!  What I buy looks like this:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/trisodium-phosphate-powder-400-g/912197

And I would dilute it quite a bit before using the very first time.  It's proved safe on my home cupboards though. 

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
Use a grease cutter.  TSP and SimpleGreen are both excellent. 

Dilute with water.  Both of those products can be used at various strengths: 1:1 with water, 1:5 with water, 1:10 with water.  For simplegreen (what I use personally) dilute it with water 1:10 and try that first, see how it goes.  If needed, you can splash in a bit more of your grease cutting product if needed.

Vandal09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:51:40 PM »
Fabulous- thank you all!!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »
I have scraped a lot of grease off cabinets with the edge of a used gift card.  Next time I plan on using baking soda in oil.  The biggest suggestion - cover flat surfaces after you clean it!  when I move in I cover the top of the fridge with Saran Press and Seal and the top of kitchen cabinets with a layer of newspaper.  Either periodically replace it, or ignore it until it is time to move, then pull it off to leave a clean surface.