Author Topic: Clean/easy basement (masonry) paint removal - suggestions needed  (Read 1465 times)

FreedomSeeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Does any know of a way to easily strip the paint from basement masonry walls?

I don’t know how old the paint is, so I’d prefer as little dust as possible or I’d attack it with an angle grinder.

I’ve been considering applying paint stripper, covering it with plastic, then scraping it off but was wondering if anyone knew of a faster, simpler way. I feel that will take a long time.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Clean/easy basement (masonry) paint removal - suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
I'm not aware of any method that is clean and easy to get paint off masonry. Many methods will cause damage to the masonry. Your options will be limited by the type and condition of the masonry you're working with, so you'll need to keep that in mind.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:32:43 AM »
What is your future plan? There isn't any way you can get all the paint off to just leave it as bare "new" looking brick. It is very porous and the paint will have seeped into all those pores and there isn't really any way to get it out without damaging the brick. If you are just planing on putting a new coat of paint, just scrape the wall with a wire brush to remove loose paint, wash it well with water and let dry before sealing with a new primer and paint of choice.

FreedomSeeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 08:24:20 AM »
What is your future plan? There isn't any way you can get all the paint off to just leave it as bare "new" looking brick. It is very porous and the paint will have seeped into all those pores and there isn't really any way to get it out without damaging the brick. If you are just planing on putting a new coat of paint, just scrape the wall with a wire brush to remove loose paint, wash it well with water and let dry before sealing with a new primer and paint of choice.

Yea I’m just gonna knock off all the loose paint. Clean efflorescence. Just hydraulic cement to patch any areas. Then just a drylok paint to make it look nice. I’ll probably get the glass block windows installed, shouldn’t be much, they are cheap and we only have a few windows.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »
I would proceed with caution about using hydraulic cement as a mortar around bricks. It dries very hard and some hydraulic cements actually expand as it cures which could break up the soft bricks. Hydraulic cement also has very poor adhesion so any slight movement will cause it to crack and flake off. You weren't specific, but if you are fixing cracked mortar, I would definitely get appropriate mortar for you type of brick and replace it with that over hydraulic cement.

FreedomSeeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
I would proceed with caution about using hydraulic cement as a mortar around bricks. It dries very hard and some hydraulic cements actually expand as it cures which could break up the soft bricks. Hydraulic cement also has very poor adhesion so any slight movement will cause it to crack and flake off. You weren't specific, but if you are fixing cracked mortar, I would definitely get appropriate mortar for you type of brick and replace it with that over hydraulic cement.

I’m hoping to not have to fix anything. The plan with the cement is a just in case scenario. I have have running water coming in or anything. Just moist walls which plague every older home in this area.

Truth be told, the previous older had the entire basement (along with the kitchen) painted yellow. Looks awful. My aim is to have the place look a little more appealing to the eye for the potential buyers. Im a firm believer in having a clean appearance helps sell homes.

The garage is painted a gross green color which I will also be painting this summer. Some choice in colors they had haha.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
If you've got water coming in from the outside, hard stop. You have to address this from the outside first. Otherwise, you'll trap the water in the brick and over time it will fail. Then you'll have a structural problem, rather than an eyesore problem.

In order as needed:
gutters (clean/repair/install)
grading (water AWAY from the house)
drainage (water AWAY from the house)
Dig down and seal the foundation from the exterior.

FreedomSeeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 01:10:57 PM »
If you've got water coming in from the outside, hard stop. You have to address this from the outside first. Otherwise, you'll trap the water in the brick and over time it will fail. Then you'll have a structural problem, rather than an eyesore problem.

In order as needed:
gutters (clean/repair/install)
grading (water AWAY from the house)
drainage (water AWAY from the house)
Dig down and seal the foundation from the exterior.

Haha typo on my part. I do not have water coming in.

We had all new underground drainage installed last year. The previous owner only had downspouts going 1 foot into the ground. Now they all route into 1 pipe onto the street.

We had a foundation company out and they said there is nothing that needed done other than the new drainage which we took care of last year.

The walls are just ugly. Which I’ll address.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
Oh good. Yeah, ugly is much easier than waterlogged. Just make sure you use the right kind of paint.