Author Topic: Changing out a kitchen sink  (Read 1235 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Changing out a kitchen sink
« on: October 27, 2021, 01:20:46 PM »
Hey all,

So we have an "offset" double bowl kitchen sink currently and are wanting to replace it with a larger single basin square shaped tub:

I'd want to replace it with something like this:
https://www.costco.com/american-standard-culver-welded-kitchen-sink-and-semi-pro-faucet-package.product.100470957.html

I was asking our plumber about this and he's saying we need to cut the granite (this would probably only work as a drop-in) so it would end up being a bigger job that we'd have to get someone else to deal with.

I'm inclined to wait and just replace the sink and valves underneath now, then figure the tub situation out later. Preferably I'd like to do it all at once but the current faucet is horrible and just needs to be replaced. And the dishwasher valve is slow-dripping as well.

Has anyone replaced an offset basin with a single square/uniform type? Do you usually get a drop-in sink at that point?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:26:30 PM by jeromedawg »

feelingroovy

• Bristles
Re: Changing out a kitchen sink
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 03:37:38 PM »
Unless you can find a single-bowl sink in the exact shape of that cutout, then yes, your only choice is a drop in sink and cutting granite.

DH and I have done something similar. Cutting granite isn't as terrible as you'd think, as long as none of the cut edges are showing.. hence the drop-in sink. It's very messy. We taped plastic sheets to the ceiling to create a cocoon around us to contain the dust. And it was still a huge mess.

It's a two person job. One cuts and the other keeps adding water to keep everything wet. We used an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

YouTube is your friend here.

Was it worth it? I think so. I also prefer one bowl sinks and loved having a nice huge one. You have a lot of other projects going on right now. I think I would want to focus on needs and hold off on preferences. This one isn't a simple swap-out while you have the faucet unhooked.

cupcakes4all

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 04:10:02 PM »
I have a square sink similar to the one in the link and the corners are so hard to clean. Potentially it's just me and I don't clean it frequently enough but there seems to be something growing from the corners shortly after cleaning. Which it's difficult to clean deep in the corner anyways. Just my experience... I do miss a slightly more rounded sink.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
I would swap out the faucet and save the sink question for later. A good new faucet is very nice to have and you'll enjoy it right away and without the cost and effort of this sink project.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 04:13:08 AM »
I would swap out the faucet and save the sink question for later. A good new faucet is very nice to have and you'll enjoy it right away and without the cost and effort of this sink project.

Me too. Replace the stuff that needs to be replaced (faucet, leaky DW valve). Live with the current sink for awhile and see if it's really a big deal or not.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 05:08:47 AM »
I'm also on board with just living with it.

Like you, when we closed a couple months ago, we blitzed through a number of high-priority projects and then came up with a much longer list of other things we'd like to do. The absolute best thing is to sit on those "other" projects for a few months and really assess whether your gut reaction matched how you actually use and/or perceive whatever the thing is.

You may find that it's not a big deal. Drop-in sinks don't look nearly as 'clean' as undermount, even if you aren't a fan of the shape right now. And once you cut the granite, there's no realistic chance you can go back to undermount without replacing the countertops. Plus, with how the faucet is currently mounted, you'd need to get a new sink that has a very deep back ledge, otherwise you've got a potential gap where the current faucet sits.

Something else to consider about a new sink is that your garbage disposal is located in a really great place, as far as allowing the most storage in the cabinet below the sink. If you change to a single bowl, the disposal is going to be a few inches lower and may not allow for room underneath it. If your ideal replacement sink is a center-drain, you've really drastically cut down on the usable space beneath the cabinet.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 05:52:24 AM »
Is the new sink going to be really that much bigger?  I understand your motivation is single bowl vs double, but you did say larger.  Interior dimensions are 30" x 16.5" x 9".  The given dimensions from the site are to the outer lip.

You also want to be cautious of cracking the granite.  The sink you spec'd out needs a cut 21 inches deep, so you'll only have 2 inch strips of granite for a 33" length.  From the photo, it also looks like your granite isn't a full 3 cm thick.  Seems like its a bit thinner with an edge glued on the front.

As with others, this is definitely something you should wait on.  Live in the house for a while.  Undermount is very nice for wiping off the countertop crumbs/spills into the sink.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 10:48:55 PM »
Wait on this. I agree with the others. But I bet you'll be able to find s a single bowl undermount sink that's the same shape as your current one. I'm sure you're not the first to want to make that switch. Also I agree, no square corners!

for example this

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 02:14:46 PM »
I would leave the existing sink in for now and just change out the other bits mentioned.
Your granite top has the window sill step at the back that could complicate changing out the sink……measure very carefully front and back and underneath if you do decide to cut for a new sink!

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
Personally, I like neither of these types of sinks. For the undermount ones, you have a super hard granite edge just waiting to shatter your glassware when you do dishes. For the drop-in, you have a drain problem with no easy way to get water from the counter into the sink. My favorite is the one-piece stainless sink and counter units where the counter nearby is sloped to drain into the sink, and the metal is springy enough to not shatter everything you bump into it. (It seems functionality is out of fashion at this point, though, so we couldn't even find a replacement for our 60-year old one. We ended up polishing the one we had and living with its dings instead.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!