Author Topic: Caravan interior light  (Read 1134 times)

cowman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Caravan interior light
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »
I have a 2013 Dodge Caravan and the interior light does not come on when the drivers door is opened.The light itself works as it comes on when the other doors are opened,it is unlocked using the key fob or turned on with the dimmer switch.

I'm guessing there must be some type of sensor on the door latch that is not working.

Does anyone know how to get inside the door panel and what I would find in there?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Caravan interior light
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:33:46 AM »
There is a diagram and parts for the door here:
https://www.moparpartswebstore.com/a/Dodge_2013_Grand-Caravan-SE-36L-V6/_82944_5577019/Front-Door--Hardware-Components/i2286733.html

I don't notice anything that is obviously an open/close sensor, so maybe it is built into the latch as you suspect.

Door panel removals are typically not too bad but can be tedious. I found this door panel removal guide:
https://paulstravelpictures.com/2008-2014-Dodge-Grand-Caravan-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/index.html

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
Is this a new to you vehicle? Has it ever worked when you opened up the driver's door? I ask this because I've had vehicles before where you can program whether the dome light comes on when the driver's door is opened. This is for security reasons so someone outside the car can't see if there are others in the car when the driver gets in. If you have seen it work before when the driver's door is open, then I agree that it is probably the door switch.

cowman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »
Thanks for the links.

I am pretty excited about taking a door panel off knowing where the screws are before I bend or break something.

Yes it did used to work.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!