Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 335 times)

tyler2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tyler's Guides
Brake pads
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:30:13 PM »
I am in the market for brake pads. It isn't urgent, but I will need them in a year or so. I usually get cheapish ceramic pads with shims for 15 to 20 dollars. I have never had a problem with noise, dust, stopping power, or rotor wear. Is there any reason to buy the more expensive ones? Why?

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:23 PM »
Not enough information to base an answer upon

bender

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
It sounds like you've done this a few times before.  If you don't have a problem with all the factors you mentioned, keep going with the cheap pads.  I've used both expensive and cheap pads and I'm sticking with the cheaper ceramic pads these days.

I think a lot has to do with your driving (braking) style.  I like to drive as efficiently as possible and avoid touching the brakes unless they are needed.  Some things I do for example:
Avoid stop and go traffic by adjusting commute time.
Don't follow other vehicles too closely, if the hit the brakes, usually I only have to release the gas pedal.
Plan stops far ahead so I'm not barreling down the road and have to slam the brakes at every intersection.
Needing to touch the brakes on the highway is considered a failed commute.

The result is reduced wear on your braking system and just about everything else too.  If you have similar habits, you probably won't be able to tell the difference in brake pad quality because you wouldn't be pushing them in any way.  If you were to drive like your average maniac, I'm sure you'd get more value from higher end brake components.

lthenderson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
The last time I had my brake pads replaced by a brake shop, they put in some expensive ones that squealed terrible. They tweaked those a couple times and put on a set of cheap ones that they also carry. Same result. On my fifth trip to the shop, I made them order the OEM ones and put them on. That solved the problem. Until I hear otherwise, I will never put non-OEM brake pads on any of my vehicles.

EricEng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Supposedly cheap ones will damage your rotors more, but I haven't noticed it.  Noise never bothered me much, so I stick with cheap ones from Autozone.

bender

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
Amazon is a great source of car parts too.  If you can wait 2 days for delivery it's a great deal.  I've seen major brand pads as low as $10 shipped.  When you look at what a brake pad really is, it's not surprising they can be this cheap.

GuitarBrian

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
I use AutoZone Duralast brake pads. All the pads I've replaced in the last few years have had lifetime warranty. So you just take the worn out ones in and they give you a new pair. Other stores operate the same way I believe.

If you want to get the pads before you take the old ones off, you can do that as well. Just take the old ones back and they'll refund your money.

This works on the cheap ones and the top $$ ones too.
FIREd 11/28/2017

Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-hardest-thing-is-figuring-out-what-i-want/

Referrals:

Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred. I can be rewarded too if you apply here and are approved for the card. Learn more.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/0ZXBL6XCOU

$5 from Top Cash Back. 1+% cash back from hundreds of sites. https://www.topcashback.com/ref/brianroe88

Ebates. 1+% cash back on hundreds of sites. When you sign up and spend $25 using the click through portal, earn $10 https://www.ebates.com/r/BRIANR759?eeid=28187