Author Topic: Bike Mechanic Set on sale  (Read 5113 times)

CanuckStache

• Stubble
Bike Mechanic Set on sale
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/97200/nashbar-18piece-nashbar-essential-tool-kit

Looks like it's great for the home user....It's regularly $79 and on for $39 right now, plus a promo code brings it to $31 plus shipping. Has really good reviews, should be great for occasional repair / maintenance work.

I just ordered mine - not sure how long the deal will go for.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
Re: Bike Mechanic Set on sale
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »
Not the highest quality, but gets the job done.  I had a set I bought in about 1998, lasted until 2011 when they were stolen.
Looked at what might be a better replacement (I work at a bike shop, so I can buy wholesale shop quality tools), ended up getting the same Nashbar set again anyway.
And I paid 50 bucks for it!
In other words, I second this recommendation

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:28 AM »
Thanks for the tip, just ordered one! 

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:57:17 AM »
Wow!  I don't often make rash decisions about ordering stuff online but I just ordered one myself!  I've been very adamant about learning to fix everything myself.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
Thanks! I'd love to learn how to do a bunch of stuff on my bike so this is very helpful.  Especially since I need to tune my bike this year :)

Bakari - Any recommendations for learning how to do things?  Video links? Books?

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
Thanks! I'd love to learn how to do a bunch of stuff on my bike so this is very helpful.  Especially since I need to tune my bike this year :)

Bakari - Any recommendations for learning how to do things?  Video links? Books?

Personally, my own method has always been to take stuff apart, look at it, put it back together.

I did get a library book on bike repairs in high school, and had a subscription to Bicycling Magazine for a few years which occasionally had tips, but it was mainly just doing it, getting it wrong, doing it again, getting it slightly better, and so on until I could do it well on a first try.

But that method isn't for everyone.
Park tool has a pretty decent book, and (though the site is down at the moment) I believe a good portion of the content is also on their website: http://www.parktool.com/

(The late) Sheldon Brown has an incredibly thorough site, on practically every topic related to bike repair, including lots of old, obscure, esoteric stuff that you are very unlikely to own, but if you do you won't find the info on it anywhere else (the site also includes plenty of info for modern bikes).  We use it for reference in our shops regularly, even the professionally trained and credentialed mechanics.

I'm sure there are lots and lots and lots of other good books and videos and websites, I just don't personally know them, because I don't really need to use them.  But I bet other people will chime in with their own favorites (hint hint)

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
Cool! Glad some people got in on it. Yeah I figure if I can do all the work on my truck, i should be able to figure out my crappy Walmart bike. These tools will definitely help.

Scooby Doo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 03:36:04 AM »
I used to work as a bike mechanic many moons ago. I second the Park book - it covers most things, but the Sheldon Brown site and the rest of the interwebs covers the rest. YouTube especially is your friend, as you can see how things are done.

As for the tools, Park tools are excellent, but expensive. I'd go for that cheap set, and if any of it breaks from overuse, buy a higher quality replacement. Over the years, you end up with a high quality toolset with the tools you need. The only exception is Allen keys - get the best you can afford.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 04:38:43 AM »
I received my tools yesterday, they look to be fairly good quality in a nice container.  I purchased Zinn and the art of Road Bike Maintenance to help me improve my skills. 

ScottEric

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
I was going to make those same recommendations.  Both are really good. I've also used Zinn and the art of bike maintenance, good if you want a paper book to get dirty.  If you have a local bike co-op they're usually helpful with mechanics questions and odd ball parts.

I have pretty much this same toolset that's from about 1996.  I've lost a few of them, but they're a great way to get started and beyond.  I added a cable cutter, better spoke wrenches and a few other odds and ends. 

Personally, my own method has always been to take stuff apart, look at it, put it back together.

I did get a library book on bike repairs in high school, and had a subscription to Bicycling Magazine for a few years which occasionally had tips, but it was mainly just doing it, getting it wrong, doing it again, getting it slightly better, and so on until I could do it well on a first try.

But that method isn't for everyone.
Park tool has a pretty decent book, and (though the site is down at the moment) I believe a good portion of the content is also on their website: http://www.parktool.com/

(The late) Sheldon Brown has an incredibly thorough site, on practically every topic related to bike repair, including lots of old, obscure, esoteric stuff that you are very unlikely to own, but if you do you won't find the info on it anywhere else (the site also includes plenty of info for modern bikes).  We use it for reference in our shops regularly, even the professionally trained and credentialed mechanics.

I'm sure there are lots and lots and lots of other good books and videos and websites, I just don't personally know them, because I don't really need to use them.  But I bet other people will chime in with their own favorites (hint hint)

kevin78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:23 AM »
I think the promo code is expired.  Bummer. I've been thinking of building a bike using cheap parts so I need to get some specific bike tools.

Amazon has some good deals on bike tools as well if you poke around a bit.  Chances are many of these sets are the same but re-branded.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions all. 

YouTube - I do use it for things, but sometimes I question whether they really work so I prefer hearing from people who have used various things.

Thanks again!