Author Topic: Big Green Egg Table  (Read 17890 times)

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
Big Green Egg Table
« on: May 16, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »
Hey everyone.

I'm going to make this DIY thread for any ideas and as a follow along for my Big Green Egg table that I've been meaning to make for who knows how long.

I just want to make something that's going to work and work for a long time, nothing fancy but it will need to look nice.

Going to do my best to source all the material from craigslist or other second hand places.

Most of the cost will be from possible new woodworking tools since my current inventory is 0.

Here's a picture of my medium egg.

Although not the most mustachian of my purchases, bought prior to finding this place, it cooks the food I eat everyday so it was a worthwhile investment for me.

Looking to do something simple like this.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:39:10 AM by apfroggy0408 »

viper155

• Bristles
Re: Big Green Egg Table
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 07:30:41 AM »
I like that. Looks great. Wouldn't some kind of a heat resistant material around the inner part of the circle where the Egg meets the wood go a long way in keeping the table looking great? Gonna get charred looking real fast!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
If you can find cedar (like from scrapped fences or decking) cheaply, that'd be a great material to work with. Pine will get nicked up really fast.

TravelerMSY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
You could cut a hole in an existing table. Maybe a surplus one found on Craigslist.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
Hey everyone

Had put this project on the back burner for a little but wanted to revive it now.

Just picked this up fro $40 bucks, it at one point in its life cost $400 but it was neglected and now just needs a little TLC.

Going to clean it up, do some sanding, re sand and get to grillin!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »
This is something still on our list of things to do, we love our egg, it would be so much easier to use if it were higher up.

We did get a stainless steel counter/stand alone table that we were going to cut a hole in, but we weren't sure if it would get too hot, like the heat from the egg would keep the table too hot, although it would be so easy to clean and it would stay nice for a long time.

Have you done pizzas on your egg yet?

jordand1986

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
Doubt heat would be an issue. I have a komodo style cooker (same style as the egg), it is made of double-walled metal and I can touch the sides on all but the hottest cooks, like for pizza.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
This is just plain genius!!!!  Well done!  I notice the table in your first post has some sort of trivet or pizza stone under it.  I'd also consider some sort of metal rim around the larger upper part which touches the wood (though it's probably entirely fine the way it is!).   My first inclination would be to stick a bicycle rim in there--but a cut strip of metal would be much better.

Habilis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
Recommend putting a paver under the egg and elevating it above the paver with some ceramic spacers. Wood tables have been known to ignite after a time (check nakedwhiz.com). You'll also want to have a heat safe surface nearby to set hot pans, heat deflectors, grates, etc. some people put a slab of granite into the table as a cutting board, others a stainless steel sheet/section. Don't forget a bottle opener!