Author Topic: Best way to paint furniture  (Read 3606 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Best way to paint furniture
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
I got a good deal on a used maple dresser (stained black) that's a bit beat up and want to paint it white.

I've recently hand painted a bunch of doors and trim with Sherwin Williams ProClassic Hybrid paint.  I chose it because it apparently forms a very tough enamel, but won't stick like latex or yellow or off gas like oil-based.  I did an OK job, but as many other forums note, it it really hard to avoid brush marks.  At this stage in my experience, I'm pretty sure it's unavoidable for me.  On the doors and trim I don't really mind -- it makes the hollow core doors seem more like real wood IMO, and generally feels more authentic than the perfectly smooth sprayed doors in other parts of the house.

So now I'm doing this dresser.  I need to decide whether to keep using the ProClassic for durability, or switch to latex (which would need a top coat I hear) or oil-based.  If I stick with ProClassic, which I still have a can of, do I try to thin with Floetrol and brush on, or buy a sprayer?

I understand some of this is personal preference -- do I care if it has brush marks?  I honestly don't know.  I don't want a distressed or rustic look, but it doesn't need to be like a hyper-modern smooth laquer look either.

Any thoughts? 

I'm also a bit worried about drawer closure after I add paint.  I installed some double doors and after painting they won't close.  Still trying to figure out the best way to fix that without planing the door (although that might be unavoidable).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:57:25 PM by dragoncar »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Best way to paint furniture
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »
I've had surpringly good results sanding down an old nursery glider/rocking chair and then spraying it with standard rust oleum rattle cans.  I don't know how big your dresser is, but it might be a cheaper option than buying custom painting gear.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
I've had surpringly good results sanding down an old nursery glider/rocking chair and then spraying it with standard rust oleum rattle cans.  I don't know how big your dresser is, but it might be a cheaper option than buying custom painting gear.

Yes I also considered rattle cans.  It's pretty big, though, and I anticipate the top will get slightly abused. 

If I bought a sprayer I think I'd find other uses for it.  As it is, I kinda wish I had bought one since I've already hand painted 10 doors plus all the trim and a couple small rooms.

Could a hobby sprayer work for medium sized furniture?  Did you have any issues the spray being even?

I see Rustoleum makes a "Furniture Transformations" that supposedly does not require priming or sanding.  I'll check the reviews, but I'm typically dubious about those things.  Edit: looks like way too much work and it's a brush on product
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:16:38 PM by dragoncar »

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
For your double doors instead of planing you can try to take both doors off the hinges and slightly bend the hinges in the direction that would supply more space between the doors. It doesn't take much, just a little tweak on all the hinges and rehang the doors. As for painting, I think i'd still with the paint you already have and just invest in a really good brush. I'd also apply the first coat and wet sand it with a really fine grain sandpaper to get out the brush marks. Then maybe slightly thin the paint for the 2nd coat so that you don't have deep brush marks, but it depends on the paint. Lastly really take your time and work on sections at a time. Good Luck!

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »
Rattle cans work just fine, but spring for the plastic handle with a trigger.  I have found that I get much better spray control this way.  And your finger doesn't get sore.

The Sherman Williams store near me rents sprayers.  Or check CL.  I would resist the low end consumer models at the big box stores.  You can also get mid level sprayers at woodworking stores/web sites.  You will get better results with the multi-stage turbine sprayers.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »
I have a brass floor lamp that has this ugly pitting going on. I want to spray paint it. The color is a brass but seems to have some black in it too. Can anyone suggest a type of spray paint for this? I am up for a color change or stay with a brass look. The floor lamp also has a glass table built into it so it will be a little challenge to paint it. Will have to cover the glass with newspaper. However, I would be up to spray painting that too. Is there such a thing as an spray paint for glass kind of like opaque? My Hub has spray painted a few things with success. One was an old, ugly jug. It is a clay jug and was painted turquoise but was faded and had some minor cracks in the paint. We found this gorgeous turquoise gloss spray paint and I just love it!

Not sure what color I would change the floor lamp to if I did a major color change. I would like to keep it on the lighter side for dust reasons. So I guess my question is does spray paint come in some kind of multi color in one can?
And is there any spray paint that looks good when you paint over clear glass?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »
I have a brass floor lamp that has this ugly pitting going on. I want to spray paint it. The color is a brass but seems to have some black in it too. Can anyone suggest a type of spray paint for this? I am up for a color change or stay with a brass look. The floor lamp also has a glass table built into it so it will be a little challenge to paint it. Will have to cover the glass with newspaper. However, I would be up to spray painting that too. Is there such a thing as an spray paint for glass kind of like opaque? My Hub has spray painted a few things with success. One was an old, ugly jug. It is a clay jug and was painted turquoise but was faded and had some minor cracks in the paint. We found this gorgeous turquoise gloss spray paint and I just love it!

Not sure what color I would change the floor lamp to if I did a major color change. I would like to keep it on the lighter side for dust reasons. So I guess my question is does spray paint come in some kind of multi color in one can?
And is there any spray paint that looks good when you paint over clear glass?

Yes. For a multicolored look, try Rustoleum Hammered Metal finishes. I find it’s very forgiving of imperfections. I can’t speak to the clear glass.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
Thanks for bumping.  I've used the Hammered Metal before on some bright brass door handles, and it looked pretty good.

For the dresser, I went with a rattle cans, Kilz primer and then Rustoleum Professional Enamel.  It's holding up quite well.  I messed up the top by running out of paint halfway through a coat.  It still looks good, but in certain light you can see a line down the middle where I ran out.  Here it is:

this is what it looked like before (but more beat up)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 04:25:44 AM »
Thanks, I will look up the Rustoleum Hammered Metal finishes. Sounds like what I want.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 05:59:14 AM »
Nice job, look good.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 07:49:34 PM »
That dresser looks totally awesome:)
I have one that I've been staring at for a couple of years - maybe I'll go Kilz and rattle can in turquoise. It's an old heavy thing and hopefully very forgiving in the crevices of the ornamentation.
Not worried about it being perfect since it is in my studio, but I was trying to avoid a lot of extra prep etc.

I'll second or third the hammered metal suggestion it is forgiving on a lamp. Maybe I'll try that on the metal drawer pulls for the dresser - silver and turquoise?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 04:02:36 AM »
Went to Home Depot and bought the Rustoleum Hammered in a kind of brass color. Have not used it yet. Weather here has been rainy. Got it at Home Depot. Oh and the table has a clear glass round table attached. I found some glass paint that is kind of frosted. So, will give the lamp a new appearance I hope!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
@Roadrunner53 - that frosted glass paint is perfect for a stencil design - sports team - bamboo - fleur-de-lils - geometrics - ivy-roses - a simply ring/circle border - critters-fish-turtle-birds-frog - coastal.....

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
May go without saying, but get the Spray Grip for a couple bucks.  Much easier on the finger so you can focus on even coating (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Economy-Spray-Grip/17011118)

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
I see Rustoleum makes a "Furniture Transformations" that supposedly does not require priming or sanding.  I'll check the reviews, but I'm typically dubious about those things.  Edit: looks like way too much work and it's a brush on product

I love this product!  It is a lot of work, but I've used it successfully on both furniture and on standard builder-grade cabinets.  If you don't like the brush strokes, it also comes with a glaze that you can put on top of the paint and wipe off with a cloth.  That hides the brush strokes and gives it a nice color.

It really does look terrific and is pretty durable.  I redid the kids' bathroom cabinets, and they haven't managed to destroy the paint job yet.