Author Topic: Before, During, After - Kitchen/Floor reno  (Read 2739 times)

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
Before, During, After - Kitchen/Floor reno
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:04:44 AM »
I want to share my biggest DIY feat to date.
Info: My kitchen was in bad need of updating, I had tenants moving out of this flat, and I just moved back in (gf moving in with me in a few months). I'll be airbnb-ing it from time to time before she moves in.

I had estimated that it would realistically cost about 5k, but hoped I could stick to my budget of 4k. But with the plumber's bill coming up to 1500, and I decided to go with a little higher end Ikea cabinet finish, I came right in around 5k.

Interesting mustachian things to add: I did this reno without a car!; I joined a tool library to get access to all of the tools I needed for the reno ($60 for the whole year); I carried tools on my bike about 7kms each way 3x a week. Rented a Uhaul to buy all the heavy stuff (drywall, insulation, framing wood, dishwasher) etc. And had Ikea deliver my cabinets, sink, and counter top.

The design: Inspired by every hipster coffee shop I've ever consumed an Americano in. And apartment therapy. I guess you could call it a rustic farmhouse style with some nods to modern and industrial decor.

The project:
-I did new insulation and a vapor barrier (no insulation previously).
-New plumbing (hired a registered plumber), and added a dishwasher line and laundry hook up for the adjacent closet. I installed the dishwasher myself, though.
-Pulled up 4 layers of vinyl flooring (the last 2 I could not get up). I laid white washed plywood plank flooring and finished it myself.
-Ikea cabinets, big white porceline sink, walnut/particle board counter top, and open shelving.
-I did a very simple new window frame out of framing wood. It looked cool when it was just raw wood and I am regretful I painted over it!
-Subway tile: horizontal running board behind the stove, and vertical running board on the other walls.

-I had help from my girlfriend for a few full days; and my mother for a few full days; and my friend for a couple of days.... Beyond that it was just me, my tools, and my obsessive/over-confident character trait that got me through the 4ish week reno.

I cried 2 times.

Before (2014 -when I purchased):

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:18:28 AM by TightFistedScot »

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
Re: Before, During, After - Kitchen/Floor reno
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:15:34 AM »
For some reason I'm receiving error messages every time I try to upload even just 1 image at a time.

Photos to come later.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 05:56:34 AM »
What! You cannot start a thread like this with just the before picture. It is cruel.

There are so many admirable workarounds in your post, especially the tools and supplies with no car.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »
Some amazing creativity in your post. Can't wait for the pics.

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
Posting to follow to see the forthcoming pics!

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
Posting to follow to see the forthcoming pics!
+1

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:52:39 AM »
Yes, waiting to see the after pictures of your kitchen.

rementis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
I found the "after" picture.  It came out great!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »
I found the "after" picture.  It came out great!

Is this a joke?  If so, I don't get it.  That appears to be an entirely different room.