Author Topic: Be your own barista  (Read 12489 times)

pipercat

• Bristles
Be your own barista
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:10:52 AM »
Okay, I admit that I do enjoy those fancy coffee drinks expertly made at Starbucks and various other fancy-pants coffee shops.  I pretty much always use my Bing rewards points for Starbucks cards, just so I don't have to feel guilty.

But, lately I've branched out into making my own lattes and such with the help of this little guy

2.99 at IKEA!

I use half & half and vanilla coffee syrup.  I know this is probably not bad-ass at all, but I just wanted to share :)

Jmoody10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Be your own barista
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:18:27 AM »
That's awesome pipercat! Although not as fancy as you, I will make hot and iced mochas with a cheap espresso maker, chocolate and milk.

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
Wow - I admire your dedication to coffee!

Unfortunately, my roomies don't drink coffee, so I just use our apt complex's common coffee maker. It's not as fresh as home-brewed coffee/espresso, but I don't drink it often. When I want a fresh, frothy cafe-latte, I go to a coffee shop :D

I gotta jump on the Bing Rewards train you mentioned :)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Uh, what is it? Maybe give us a link?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:12:35 AM »
I love coffee, but I love it black. The best method for this, bar none, is the AeroPress. As a frugal bonus, it seems to use the least amount of beans relative to strength of cup.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »
So what does it do? Froth milk?

Also, I've heard the Aeropress is hard to use--is that true? I wouldn't mind hearing more about that too. I've thought of getting one, but didn't want another piece of random unused crap in my kitchen if I didn't end up liking it.

SingleMomDebt

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
I did an image search for the picture in the OP, this is what it came up with: http://www.amazon.com/IKEA-Produkt-Milk-Frother/dp/B002Y6FBU2

It's a milk frother!

lavar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »

Also, I've heard the Aeropress is hard to use--is that true? I wouldn't mind hearing more about that too. I've thought of getting one, but didn't want another piece of random unused crap in my kitchen if I didn't end up liking it.

Aeropress is REALLY EASY to use, just follow the directions when you buy it. Basically scoop coffee, boil water, pour water, stir, press, cleanup (about 15 seconds).

For frothy drinks I usually use a stovetop moka pot and microwave + pogo whisk or I have a manual stainless steel frother (looks like a french press) that you pump that I bought at value village for $2 six or seven years ago. Works great.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »

Actually, the cool thing about the Aeropress is that it's incredibly easy to use. Also, unlike other things like espresso machines, there's basically no learning curve and it's very hard to get a bad cup out of it - especially since it works with just about any type of grind, unlike other coffee methods.

I personally don't use the method in the directions, but instead use the "inverted method". Just search 'Aeropress inverted method' on YouTube to get an idea of how easy to use it is.

so.mpls

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
Third-ing the Aeropress.  Makes great coffee and is easy to use for one person. 

It's a pain to make 2 or more cups at a time, though, so if you're regularly making coffee for more than one person I'd say it's a no go.

julez916

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »
I love my aeropress! So much so that I bought a reusable filter when we ran out of the paper ones that come with it. I've had it for a little over two years now, and I also use the inverted method. It's really easy to make iced coffee with the aeropress, too. My husband and I both use it just about every day; we have an electric kettle, so we heat up enough water for two cups, then we just take turns. All you have to do is dump out the grounds and rinse in between. Each cup takes about 5 minutes, start to finish.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
I love my aeropress! So much so that I bought a reusable filter when we ran out of the paper ones that come with it. I've had it for a little over two years now, and I also use the inverted method. It's really easy to make iced coffee with the aeropress, too. My husband and I both use it just about every day; we have an electric kettle, so we heat up enough water for two cups, then we just take turns. All you have to do is dump out the grounds and rinse in between. Each cup takes about 5 minutes, start to finish.

Have you been happy with the reusable filter? The break even point between that and paper filters is like 5 years, at least based on Amazon's pricing. Some reviews said it made even slightly better coffee, though.

JohnnyDollar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 04:58:16 PM »
+1 for both the Aeropress AND the stainless-steel filter.  I've been using mine for a couple years now, never had to worry about running out of filters, filters flying everywhere, accidentally using two, etc etc.  The two together pay for themselves in less than a week getting coffee at Fourbuck$.  The extra oomph of those sweet, sweet coffee oils going into my cup instead of the trash is a tasty bonus.

--Johnny

julez916

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »

Have you been happy with the reusable filter? The break even point between that and paper filters is like 5 years, at least based on Amazon's pricing. Some reviews said it made even slightly better coffee, though.

I'm not sure I'm sophisticated enough to tell a difference in taste between the stainless filter and the paper ones, but it's holding up really well so far. I was honestly thinking more about the waste side of it than the break even point, but I think we'll be close to break even when it does give out. At this point we have some very slight warpage, but nothing serious. And I never have to worry about accidentally dropping the filter into the coffee grounds or folding a corner over without noticing and ending up with grinds in my cup.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »
I have an Aero Latte milk frother from BBB.  It cost about $15.  I heat up my sugar free Italian Sweet Cream for 20 seconds in the micro and whip it up for about 10 seconds and put on top of my coffee.  I love it and use it everyday.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 05:55:30 AM »
Yes, the thing in my OP is a milk frother.  It's also great for mixing chocolate milk, or protein powder into drinks.  As for the Bing rewards thing, look in this thread for details.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/bing-get-~$5-a-month-to-browse-the-internet/

You can read through and use the last person's referral info.  If you want to use mine, it's
http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_68bdbca3-068e-591b-1f8d-564306d27610

You basically earn rewards for using Bing to make your internet searches.  I usually cash in my rewards for a Starbucks gc.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:59:02 AM by pipercat »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 06:02:23 AM »
My wife does the Bing rewards in a few minutes a day just by clicking on random links within a search page.

She also does Swagbucks, which takes a bit more time but can have a much bigger potential daily payout.

I think they're both silly even when they take minimal attention on a second screen, but she gets a $100 every month or two.

Transcensionist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 05:46:33 AM »
The stir stick was annoying for me after a while. As soon as the battery starts to die it doesn't work well. I use a metallic cup now that has a handle you pump up and down to froth the milk. And a percolator to brew espresso.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 06:52:14 AM »
We have one of these among many other coffee devices.  The spouse has slowly ground me down from a Pavoni hand press to Melita filter drip over the years.  I am under pressure to go to freeze dried coffee, which only dirties a single cup and a spoon, but have resisted so far.  Fancy coffees can seem exciting when you are young, like adult ice cream floats, but you eventually realize you really only need the caffeine and the most efficient way of getting it does not involve costly elaborate machines or people who want your name.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »
I like instant coffee, mixed in a cold water bottle...is this taboo??

It was a trick I used since deployed to the desert. Too hot for regular coffee and no time to brew (Just grab and go). This habit has stuck with me :).

cranilation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »
I really have to recommend this milk frother http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Stainless-Steel-Frother-14-Ounce/dp/B000X7GF40/ref=lp_14042381_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1414985009&sr=1-8

It makes a super thick froth and after using it for a few years, I've yet to replace a battery!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
My mom bought us one of those battery operated POS.   Also a larger rechargeable one she paid $40 for!

The little one was bent within a day and it's batteries were already half dead, so we took back the overpriced rechargeable one and bought LED light bulbs instead.

What do we use for a 4 shot cappuccino every morning?!   That's enough to not need a coffee at work.

It's called Cremafacile and we found it at London Drugs (Western Canada)

No batteries, no power.  Just a hot wife every morning!

http://youtu.be/MhNnV6NFQXk

And a stovetop espresso maker. 

http://youtu.be/U_G64Tv5ywU

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:45:49 PM by Heckler »

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 11:44:20 PM »
http://youtu.be/Lim8HacSka4

I learned something about espresso today.

huzar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Pastor of Muppets
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 01:10:50 AM »
My mom bought us one of those battery operated POS.   Also a larger rechargeable one she paid $40 for!

The little one was bent within a day and it's batteries were already half dead, so we took back the overpriced rechargeable one and bought LED light bulbs instead.

What do we use for a 4 shot cappuccino every morning?!   That's enough to not need a coffee at work.

It's called Cremafacile and we found it at London Drugs (Western Canada)

No batteries, no power.  Just a hot wife every morning!

http://youtu.be/MhNnV6NFQXk

And a stovetop espresso maker. 

http://youtu.be/U_G64Tv5ywU

I have one of those Cremafacile frothers. Been working well for me for over a year now. They're available on Amazon, in case you're not local to a London Drugs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U7F00G

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
+1 for both the Aeropress AND the stainless-steel filter.  I've been using mine for a couple years now, never had to worry about running out of filters, filters flying everywhere, accidentally using two, etc etc.  The two together pay for themselves in less than a week getting coffee at Fourbuck$.  The extra oomph of those sweet, sweet coffee oils going into my cup instead of the trash is a tasty bonus.

--Johnny

+1

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
Recently cold-brewed coffee in french press overnight and it was a smash hit with my anti-coffee roomies. Not bitter, but still tastes like coffee and pretty strong flavor. Would recommend this to those who dislike the bitter taste of coffee and end up loading it with sweetener and creamer.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »
I've wanted to try cold brew for a long time, but the recipe I found makes a ton of it.  Maybe I'll get out the french press and give it a shot!

falcondisruptor

• Stubble
    • Simple Cheap Mom
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
I had one of those little frothers and the frothing part kept falling out on the second or third cup (My Mr. likes a fancy latte sometimes too).

Then my sister bought me a, electric frother for Christmas, but the paint started chipping into the milk after the first couple times, gross!

Back to a little frother.  I seem to be having better luck with this one.

Also, I love looking at the coffee section at IKEA. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!