Author Topic: Bathroom Lighting (above a shower)  (Read 3477 times)

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
Bathroom Lighting (above a shower)
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
Greetings,

I have a small shower that I am remodeling right now.
The shower is small (32x32) and I thought I would make it feel a bit bigger by increasing the lighting.

I think there are special fixtures / requirements for adding a light above a shower... but details seem to be scarce.
I can't seem to find any 'wet location' light-only fixtures at my local home stores.

Does anyone have any details?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Bathroom Lighting (above a shower)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »
I think you just need the trim (glass cover) to keep water from splashing up on the hot bulb in a standard recessed lighting fixture.  Something like this (picked at random).

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
thanks for the reply! I haven't installed a recessed lighting fixture before. Do you need access to the attic? (I have very limited access)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
I'm not really the one to ask, but if the power is already there, it seems fairly straightforward to install from below.

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »
Perfect, thanks. I think this is a good plan.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
The only thing accepted by code is a recessed can with a shower trim. "Remodel" style cans are pretty straightforward to install if you have vertical clearance. Make sure to get an IC-rated one if there is insulation in ceiling.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM »
You might want to go "whole hog" and install a light/fan fixture like what fantech offers.

http://www.fantech.net/PB110HExhaust-FanLightHalog_enus-40570.aspx

Shop_man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »
The only thing accepted by code is a recessed can with a shower trim. "Remodel" style cans are pretty straightforward to install if you have vertical clearance. Make sure to get an IC-rated one if there is insulation in ceiling.

Exactly as the Thegoblinchief stated.  Sometimes "remodel" are referred to as old work.  They fit up through the hole you cut for the light itself.

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »

Exactly this.
I ended up getting an IC-Rated, recessed 6" fixture for old work with wet-shower trim (whew)

thanks all!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!