Author Topic: Barnhouse Take 2  (Read 29564 times)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
Re: Barnhouse Take 2
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2017, 06:29:23 AM »
WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:44 AM »
Ooh wow so freaking close! These tenants will hopefully be as awesome as they seem to be (pay rent on time and not cause a fuss).

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »
Yes - it is getting close. And it will be nice to get the summer off. I have to remind myself though that come fall it will be back at 'er, and phase 2 will be just as onerous. Minus the drywall dude and plumber.

Last night I stood in the basement looking at the mess left by the plumber and trying to figure out just what I was supposed to make of it all. The waste lines for the tub, sink, and toilet are all about a foot apart, without a hookup for the kitchen sink at all. I am not sure what I am supposed to do with this, but I suspect reworking the plumber's efforts is in the cards. If a tradesperson is available and cheap, you probably can't afford them.

I won't be hiring a drywall guy for the basement unit.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
You are making me afraid of the HVAC guys (or gals to be fair) tomorrow....I reglazed a tub/shower today...HVAC redo tomorrow?  (I hope not.)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »
Do you have PEX for plumbing in Canada? If you do, I highly recommend running any water supply lines with it. It's so easy *I* can use it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
Do you have PEX for plumbing in Canada? If you do, I highly recommend running any water supply lines with it. It's so easy *I* can use it.

We do have PEX... but I am still nervous about using it. This basement unit would actually be a good test though. My concerns with the plumbing are all on the waste side. I gave our plumber a layout drawing but I don't think he paid much attention to it.

Oh well, "make it work" is my middle name.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »

We do have PEX... but I am still nervous about using it. This basement unit would actually be a good test though. My concerns with the plumbing are all on the waste side. I gave our plumber a layout drawing but I don't think he paid much attention to it.

There really is not need to be nervous. It makes plumbing 1,000,000% easier. It should make plumbers a little terrified because DIY is getting simpler all the time.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »

There really is not need to be nervous. It makes plumbing 1,000,000% easier. It should make plumbers a little terrified because DIY is getting simpler all the time.

My concerns with it are that in 10 years California will discover that leachate from the PEX causes cancer or that in 10 years the gasketed connections start failing. I've taken a wait-and-see approach on the technology for the past 15 years, but I'm starting to come around to it. This would be a good project for it because...

1. my plumber used PEX to tie the new city water supply to the existing so there is already some in the house
2. The suite will be a "wet-wall" design where all plumbing for the suite is in one wall. If it fails, the sump pit is adjacent to teh wall, so everything should drain to the sump.
3. The suite will be removed if/when we move into the house, so any problems will be torn out in the future anyways.

Its worth considering. OTOH... if I solder copper connections and burn the house down from the basement, insurance pays for replacement.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
We used PEX on our sailboat to completely replace the old freshwater system and proceeded to travel 1,000 miles on it. No leaks. Do it! DOOO EEET!

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
My concerns with it are that in 10 years California will discover that leachate from the PEX causes cancer or that in 10 years the gasketed connections start failing. I've taken a wait-and-see approach on the technology for the past 15 years, but I'm starting to come around to it.

+1    I wonder sometimes if PEX isn't this generations version of aluminum wiring, asbestos or lead paint.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
My concerns with it are that in 10 years California will discover that leachate from the PEX causes cancer or that in 10 years the gasketed connections start failing. I've taken a wait-and-see approach on the technology for the past 15 years, but I'm starting to come around to it.

+1    I wonder sometimes if PEX isn't this generations version of aluminum wiring, asbestos or lead paint.

I keep thinking of UFFI.

https://torontoism.com/real-estate/2015/11/uffi-foam-insulation

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2017, 05:00:47 AM »
Hey Prospector  congratulations!!!
Haven't had time for the journals in a while but just caught up on this one and I am so happy to hear that it is rented!
What a relief!  Just reading about all that work made me exhausted!  You are a rock star.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2017, 05:44:02 AM »
Hey Prospector  congratulations!!!
Haven't had time for the journals in a while but just caught up on this one and I am so happy to hear that it is rented!
What a relief!  Just reading about all that work made me exhausted!  You are a rock star.

Well... if you say so. I guess I'll go put on my stage makeup. Its almost time to drop the kids at school.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2017, 06:20:10 AM »
I would dearly love to see that.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »
My house in NM was plumbed in polybutylene pipes, it was a leaky mess. We had the house replumbed in PEX for about $6k USD. We didn't do the main line... it ruptured around a year later and cost an additional $1k to replace. Plumbing is no fun, but the PEX was good for us.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »
It's mid-afternoon - progress?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
I'm home.

The tenants have started moving in. I find this satisfying. We have almost completed our punchlist items for before the tenants move in. All that remains is a second coat of paint on the stairs, one electric outlet to be hooked up, and a couple dump runs to get rid of the remaining construction debris.

Next weekend I'll head back up to finish things off and then we'll be done.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »
Fantastic!!!!!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2017, 08:38:44 PM »
Woot! Way to go with hitting the finish line!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »
I just realised. Today is FRIDAY where you are. You didn't even put in any of the weekend there. What will you do with your weekend?

I thought you were working there this weekend and taking next weekend off to go to Butter tart festival something special.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »
Today is/was Saturday. Tomorrow I'm taking the boys to see Captain Underpants in3D.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2017, 10:16:43 PM »
So done that you're successfully weekending tomorrow. Yayayayayay

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »
I get thoroughly confused at times - between being retired and not caring what day of the week it is, and having different days of the week to all of America, it just isn't fair. Sorry about accusing you of not doing any work on the Barnhouse this weekend.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2017, 07:21:34 AM »
Great news!  I am sure your garden will be happy to have you home too.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2017, 05:28:52 AM »
Doing Barnhouse banking this morning, and for the first time ever, I don't need to do a funds transfer to cover carrying costs...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
Doing Barnhouse banking this morning, and for the first time ever, I don't need to do a funds transfer to cover carrying costs...

Let the good times roll....Congrats on having paying tenants and only one more major Barnhouse weekend.  I'm going to miss the construction updates.

TrMama

« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »

Now that sounds like progress!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2017, 06:01:04 PM »

Let the good times roll....Congrats on having paying tenants and only one more major Barnhouse weekend.  I'm going to miss the construction updates.

Same - it was fun watching the transformation.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2017, 08:39:32 AM »

I keep thinking of UFFI.

https://torontoism.com/real-estate/2015/11/uffi-foam-insulation

From the last paragraph of the UFFI article:
However, UFFI myth needs to be destroyed. It is not nearly as dangerous as it was presented in the 1980's. Homeowners shouldn't have to carry the "UFFI stigma" when there is no good reason for it. Bob Aaron said it in 2007 and here we are at the end of 2015 and still, nothing has changed.

Anecdotally, we have three 15+ year old houses in a harsh desert climate that all have PEX run through the attic and we knew it when we bought them. So far, so good. Fingers firmly crossed. BTW, PEX is not stigmatized here in CA the way UFFI apparently is in the other CA.

And your siggy line stirs up fond memories. My Dad went to Cambridge High and Latin School. That adage was a favorite of his.