Author Topic: Barnhouse Take 2  (Read 29566 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Barnhouse Take 2
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »
Ugh - no shows.  When you could have been moving things along!  This week will be better - sending positive vibes your way!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
And it's Friday night again.  What is happening at Barnhouse this weekend?  Besides praying the basement does not flood.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »
Hopefully Windows and some trim work.

The floor has wet spots, but not full scale flooding. The pond across the road is draining out its overflow. Fun times.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
Trying to install window(s) today. It is already not going well. I should have either tore out the whole old window frame and started from scratch, or hired a pro.

There's going to be a whole lot of rework on this.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »
Trying to install window(s) today. It is already not going well. I should have either tore out the whole old window frame and started from scratch, or hired a pro.

Do you have any helpers? Many things are so much easier if there is someone to at least help lift in and hold things in place while you fasten things in place.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »

Do you have any helpers? Many things are so much easier if there is someone to at least help lift in and hold things in place while you fasten things in place.

See if Sam is available?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
It's cutting out the old stuff that's problematic. Not a spot where a helper would make a difference.

And if Sam came to help I would consider it a high honour no matter what her condition.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
I put an ad on Kijiji today... 6 views in the first hour. Not bad.
Is this where the ad used to be? I can't see what everyone else is talking about.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2017, 06:30:19 AM »
How did your weekend go? Did the window situation get resolved?

Did you try turning it off​and turning it on again? That helps when I am installing Windows.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
I took the link to the ad off.... its expired anyways.

We managed to get one window in, after much swearing. The good news part of the story is that we now have a plan for installing the rest of the windows. Hopefully they go faster. The bad news is that we will have to take out the existing framing and the trim we put up to do it. Parts of the old window frames that we thought were nailed in were actually a single board that had been cut to a profile. Damn those craftsmen doing quality work. This means that rather than using a prybar and popping out nails, we had to carve/chisel to get the opening size we were after. This was much work.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2017, 06:40:24 AM »
That sounds difficult and frustrating. You are getting thwarted a lot. How is morale?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »
That sounds difficult and frustrating. You are getting thwarted a lot. How is morale?

I just want upstairs rented. That's what morale is at.

I got 2 really good applications on the weekend. A young couple - very young... early 20's starting out. Mom is on disability, dad works in a family construction business. They have a baby, and want to get set on their own.

Application 2 was 4 friends in their mid 20's looking to move in together. Excellent money numbers since they are all working, but I have concerns with partners showing up etc. OTOH, with only 1 full bathroom, I don't think 8 adults in the house would be very comfortable. AND... if it was uncomfortable, then just about the time the basement suite is done I could port them down there. Also - dust and construction noise is easier for 20-somethings to put up with than a 20 yr old stay at home Mom with a baby.

This coming weekend will be short because of Mother's day. I'm hoping to get at least another window in. If I get angry at the window, I'll switch to floors. I have one more floor to do and a runner to go up the stairs.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2017, 09:12:27 AM »
Promising tenants are promising. One day this will be done and it will feel SO GOOD.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
Promising tenants are promising. One day this will be done and it will feel SO GOOD.
Speaks the voice of experience.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
I spent time at lunch watching videos of installing stair runners. I also priced a stapler and a knee kicker, and a stair tool. As was pointed outon here, Home Depot prices are beatable. With a little ingenuity, I think I can install the stair runner on my own and put in more of the vinyl laminate I used on the entryway as a floor for the upstairs landing. I need to put in a backsplash for the kitchen still. Once I do that, we will have reached substantial completion on this project. And with substantial completion, we will be able to turn to small repairs and patches.

This weekend my goal will be to get as many windows in as possible. It is also Mothers' day and I will have to return home on Saturday night. This means I will not have time to fart around with details. The plan at this point is to cut out the top and port side of the existing window frames, chisel out the high points on the sill and starboard side, and install the new window. If the fates smile upon me (I suspect they won't) I hope to get one window opening prepped on Friday night and a second on Saturday morning. Then I can turn to installing the new windows.

Between now and then, I will need to read up on stair runners. I have never installed carpet before, but this doesn't look at all complicated. The only part of it that scares me at all is that I don't know what staple size to use, or what gun to buy. Online there seems to be a big air vs electric debate, and a 22 ga vs 18 ga debate. I have no idea. We have underpad and tack strips from tearing out the carpet in the boys' room. I know you aren't supposed to reuse this stuff, but it all came out in a sheet, and reuse is easier than shopping.

So high priority work right now:
  • - install 3 windows
  • - carpet stairs
  • - Kitchen backsplash

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
Parts of the old window frames that we thought were nailed in were actually a single board that had been cut to a profile. Damn those craftsmen doing quality work. This means that rather than using a prybar and popping out nails, we had to carve/chisel to get the opening size we were after. This was much work.

Can you speed things up by using a power tool (reciprocating saw or circ saw, if it's shallow enough) to make those openings larger? You're going to use shims and then it'll be all covered up with trim, so the opening doesn't need to be all that straight.

Alternatively, go even larger (brute force rip out stuff right to the studs) and then use 2x4s or smaller dimension wood to shrink the opening size back down?  I like doing that because it simplifies things, even when I'm not resizing the window. Otherwise, I'm trying to install flashing tape on 100 year old wood with peeling (probably leaded) paint and dealing with various other annoying things.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »
Parts of the old window frames that we thought were nailed in were actually a single board that had been cut to a profile. Damn those craftsmen doing quality work. This means that rather than using a prybar and popping out nails, we had to carve/chisel to get the opening size we were after. This was much work.

Can you speed things up by using a power tool (reciprocating saw or circ saw, if it's shallow enough) to make those openings larger? You're going to use shims and then it'll be all covered up with trim, so the opening doesn't need to be all that straight.

Alternatively, go even larger (brute force rip out stuff right to the studs) and then use 2x4s or smaller dimension wood to shrink the opening size back down?  I like doing that because it simplifies things, even when I'm not resizing the window. Otherwise, I'm trying to install flashing tape on 100 year old wood with peeling (probably leaded) paint and dealing with various other annoying things.

Yeah, I'm using a multitool and recip saw to try and open things up. Its great fun. Its not fast though.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
Such is life with an old house. You could take consolation in the fact that you're doing a better job than some rando contractor who will probably install the windows in such a way that results in water leakage in a few years. Or that if you keep the house long enough to need to replace the windows again, that the next time will be much easier.

I have a friend whose house had a leak in their kitchen ceiling when it rained.  After ripping out a bunch of drywall, they tracked it down to window (it only leaked when it rains sideways, which was a good hint).  I looked at the window - improperly installed by a contractor.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:30:05 PM by dilinger »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
A couple just came through the house. They want to move in in 2 days. They are so desperate, they’ll take the house as is.

They say they just don't like where they are, and they gave notice 4 months ago that they're moving, now they are down to the wire and have nowhere. This is a bad sign.

Mom, dad, 3 kids. The smallest is a baby who is disabled. I didn't am what was wrong with her, but she looked palsied. Tiny limbs, all twisted.

Mom stays home with the baby. Dad is a roofer. Both are covered in tattoos (including face and neck) . Half of the family income is the baby's benefits. If the kid doesn't make it, they have nothing. The other half of the family income is from roofing... which is seasonal.

Credit score is 700 for mom, 500 for Dad.

I think I'm filing this one under "nope", am I being judgy?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
A couple just came through the house. They want to move in in 2 days. They are so desperate, they’ll take the house as is.

They say they just don't like where they are, and they gave notice 4 months ago that they're moving, now they are down to the wire and have nowhere. This is a bad sign.

Mom, dad, 3 kids. The smallest is a baby who is disabled. I didn't am what was wrong with her, but she looked palsied. Tiny limbs, all twisted.

Mom stays home with the baby. Dad is a roofer. Both are covered in tattoos (including face and neck) . Half of the family income is the baby's benefits. If the kid doesn't make it, they have nothing. The other half of the family income is from roofing... which is seasonal.

Credit score is 700 for mom, 500 for Dad.

I think I'm filing this one under "nope", am I being judgy?

That's a tough one, but I just don't see them being able to pay.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
You need to have a good feeling about your tenants.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2017, 02:16:33 PM »
If they gave notice without arranging a new place, it points to their inability to plan.  We have thought of moving to that area in the next year, so I've looked at rental listings for BHT and the surrounding towns (we're not sure if we want to rent or buy).  They are few and far between, which is why they don't have a place.  Two minutes on kijiji would have shown them that a lot of the apartment listings are "looking for", not "offer to rent".   Landlords will choose the ones with good credit scores and references, and they are lacking the first, and probably don't have the second either.

You want good tenants like Snacky.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
Do all tenants live off government money?

I am down to 3 viable contestants.

1. Kids on disability.
2. Family with palsied daughter - living off sick benefits. (I don't like them, but their numbers work)
3. Grandparents raising grandkids as crown wards.

This begins to feel like I'm getting my taxes back as a rent cheque. At least it's guaranteed income?

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »
Do any of these have rent paid directly from the funder to the landlord?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2017, 02:31:09 PM »
Do any of these have rent paid directly from the funder to the landlord?

Now there's a holy grail...

Alas, these peasants are all heathens.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »
Worked around a ton of different carpet guys over the years and have never seen anybody use an air stapler for carpet. Lots of air for stapling subfloors down with 1/4" crown staples, and finish nailers for things like shoe molding, but never carpet. Seems like all the pros. stick to Roberts brand tools in this area. 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
Thanks hat. On YouTube it seems to be a mix of the hammer-style stapelers, electric, and air.

I like my air tools, but I can do electric.

TrMama

« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »

1. Kids on disability.
2. Family with palsied daughter - living off sick benefits. (I don't like them, but their numbers work)

This begins to feel like I'm getting my taxes back as a rent cheque. At least it's guaranteed income?

Some viable tenants live off government money. MIL had a tenant for years that was on some sort of rent assistance/disability. She was low maintenance and paid her rent via 12 post dated cheques mailed to MIL once/year. When we wanted to raise the rent, we just notified her, she notified the agency that subsidized her rent and her assistance went up by the same amount as the rent increase. Easy peasy.

Check out TheGrimSqueaker's blog. Its about how to rent out rooms in your house to people on disability. A lot of the logic will also apply to renting your SFH.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2017, 10:34:37 AM »

1. Kids on disability.

Some viable tenants live off government money. MIL had a tenant for years that was on some sort of rent assistance/disability. She was low maintenance and paid her rent via 12 post dated cheques mailed to MIL once/year. When we wanted to raise the rent, we just notified her, she notified the agency that subsidized her rent and her assistance went up by the same amount as the rent increase. Easy peasy.

Check out TheGrimSqueaker's blog. Its about how to rent out rooms in your house to people on disability. A lot of the logic will also apply to renting your SFH.

My parent's best tenants were single mothers of only 1-2 children with subsidized housing benefits.  They put in inspection provisions and lived right next door in a duplex.  The type of single moms applying to live right next to the owner were the ones who wanted safety, not scamming.  The HUD program paid their rents directly, so they were never late.  My mom loved playing surrogate grandma to all the children. More than 2 kids, and it seemed like the moms weren't that involved.  (As a mom of 3, I can say that the 3rd throws things into chaos fairly often.)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »
Did you say done?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2017, 08:59:05 AM »
We are nearing the end for the barnhouse renos upstairs. Not that everything I want to do is done though, more that enthusiasm has waned to the "fukit-I'm-done-with-this" level. The main floor is liveable. That's good enough for me. I'll spend about another month on it and then be done.

This past weekend I put in the rest of the windows in the living room. Things went more smoothly with the last one. The second to last, I thought I was being clever with but ended up with some major hackery. C'est la vie. That's what trim is for. Overall I am pleased with the windows. I now need to hire someone to do aluminum trim around the outside to make them watertight. In the interim, I've left the old storm windows on the house over the new windows. Youtube videos show how easy it is to apply aluminium, but I have no desire to keep learning stuff. And leaking flashings would be disastrous.

##################################################################

I also pulled up the floor in the upstairs hallway. Similar to Snacky's project at the manse, the floor was a buildup of:

Layer 1 - Carpet tiles (thankfully not glued down)
Layer 2 - 6" Plastic peel & Stick Tiles
Layer 3 - 1/4" Luan ply nailed at 3" intervals
Layer 4 - original Pine floors

My goal was to remove everything down to the pine, then lay in... something. I have some laminate flooring left from the bedrooms, as well as some vinyl left from the front entry. Either one would be fine.

Removing the carpet tiles was done some time ago by the kids. It was super easy. The peel and stick I only removed where it was already lifting. Using a skil saw, I scored up the luan into about 36" pieces and set to work with a Johnson bar and a hammer. It was tough work, and I now feel buff. I knew it would be hard work, and I learned a few things.

- When the tiles bind against each other, it makes things incredibly difficult. This was easy to fix though, as soon as they started butting against each other, I'd pop one off and they'd slide rather than binding. This allowed the luan to flex, popping the nails.
- Squatting and pulling up hard can pop a whole sheet at once once the edge lets go.
- If all else fails, brute force wins. Ripping apart sheets of luan covered in plastic tiles can be strangely satisfying - and if the top ply tears away from the sheet, taking the tiles with it, you can pull a motherlode of nails out making things easier.

Another challenge I faced was that the "reading nook" - a bunch of built-in bookshelves - as well as the hallway closets and bathroom wall were all built on top of the luan/tile layer of floor. This would have normally been a dealbreaker for tearing this stuff out, but luckily, I had bought an oscillating multitool a while back for other jobs and it proved its worth for slicing through the luan/tile. Made things go super easy. Although the battery life on this thing is incredibly bad, its been a great tool for cutting out outlets from drywall, cutting away window trim, and general detail work all over the place. I think I'm pushing it too hard since I can kill its batteries in about 10 minutes.

Once the ply was up, the floor actually looked really good beneath it. I had to repair a few busted boards around a cold air return, and there were some marks from my prybars etc. But the floor looks mostly OK. I may just paint it instead of laying a new floor.

##############################################################

The third major task for the weekend was giving the stairs a facelift. I have been fearing/avoiding this job for months. My plan was to remove the existing linoleum and then carpet the stairs to hide whatever ugly was hiding below. then I got the price to lay carpet and decided I would just put a runner up them. Runners are not available to match the width of the stairs, and the linoleum wasn't laid tight in the corners, so I was going to have to take a more "enthusiastic approach."  I have been unenthusiastic about this.

Step 1 was removing the linoleum. It peeled away in a single sheet from top to bottom. The backing of the linoleum was some sort of fibre - maybe hemp, maybe coconut fibre. It was a course organic material which remained glued to the steps after the lino was gone. I let out a deep sigh and envisioned myself hand scraping every step so that I could sand them down.

I did that with the bottom stair, and then sanded it to reveal really nice pine under the glue. The pine looks nice enough that I thing an ebony stain would really look great on the treads with a traditional white riser. With this new plan in mind, I went ahead and removed the metal band that was used to edge the bottom step when the linoleum went on.

Then I sanded down a second step, and found that it was dotted with roofing nails. There must have been 15 roofers stuck in the tread. Ugh.

On closer inspection, the roofers were holding down a sheet of 1/4" ply that had been overlaid onto the step. I grabbed the Johnson bar and lifted the ply. Beneath the plywood there was about 1/8" of a mixture of paint, glue, and some kind of shellacish-elephant snot that was hardened into a glazed shell.

I was using my mini-belt sander (I made a youtube review here back when I thought I could get rich blogging) and with the coarsest grit of belts available, it did a good job of eating through the crap and raising the wood. Elation! There were still challenges though, first the belter couldn't get into the corners of the stair at all; second, the belt wore out after a single step; and third, the belter would heat up so hot that I couldn't touch it. it was literally burning my hands by the time a stair was done.

###############################################

I started a rotation of jobs. I would Sand down a stair until the sander got too hot to hold, then go and cut away a window frame until my arms were tired from holding the recip saw overhead, then go and cut away at the hall floor until the charge gave out on the  oscillating tool, and then pull up hunks of luan until it felt like my arms/shoulders were going to give out.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

By the end of Sunday, I was sore and tired, but things were really coming along. I was also out of sand paper.

On Monday I use the oscillating tool with a detail sanding attachment to try and clean the elephant snot out of the corners of the stairs that the belter couldn't reach. It did a semi-adequate job of it. I wasn't pleased though, and the sanding pads wore out way too fast. I may hit them again with a rasp attachment instead. I now have half of the stairs stripped to raw wood.

#######################################################

In order to have some fun, I started a fire to let burn while everything else was going on , and by the time I left for home on Monday afternoon I had burnt up a massive pile of scrap lumber from the garage. This is a huge relief. Next weekend I'll do the same with a second pile. As we've worked on the house, everything I tore out from beams to rafters, to studs to trim, to offcuts has been thrown in 2 bays in the garage. The piles have gotten big enough that I can't work around them anymore. So, when I felt like I needed a break from the work rotation, I'd go to the garage for fresh air and cut the scrap into 18" lengths to  fit in the chiminea in the back yard.

That fire was damned hot. And flames were flying about 6' out the top of the firebox. Lucky for me the neighbours never said anything. I kept it pumping all day Sunday and Monday.

######################################################################

On Saturday night I went to visit a family in town. I had mentioned them earlier - a pair of grandparents raising their 4 grand-kids as crown wards. Grandma works as a PSW in a nursing home that you can walk to from Barnhouse (its on the other side of the pond) in a Union position with 15 years seniority. Grandpa is up for surgery next month and stays home with the grandkids on a combined income of disability and payments from the government for fostering the grandkids. The family income puts them nicely in 40% bracket for rent to income ratio. When they came through to tour the house, Grandma showed me their gov't cheques as proof of income and offered to sign them over to me for first and last month's rent. I declined until I had a decision made. When we met, she handed me the first and last in cash money. I don't know how to deposit that to Tangerine. I haven't actually had to deposit that much cash to the account yet.

Together we went over the lease agreement and cleared up what they expected of the house. Grandpa asked if it would be OK for him to finish some jobs - he likes to tinker, and has a full tool set, which he proudly showed me. So he will be refinishing the built-ins in the kids' room, dealing with the landscaping work out back, and doing some painting and refinishing the kitchen cabinets. Perfect. He can't fuck things up any worse than I have, and if he does he has to live with it. On their reference check, the previous landlord mentioned the improvements these two had made to the houses they had rented from them (15 yrs in house 1, 2 years in house 2) and they seemed happy with the work.

As I left the grand kids came running in from the backyard. I was walking to the car and heard cheering and yelling "We got it! We got it!!" The kids sounded thrilled. I warmed my cockly heart.

The family will have access to store stuff starting on June 1, with a move-in date of June 15th. On June 2 we will do a walk-thru to figure out what I need to complete by the 15th. Three weekends to wrap everything up. The end is in sight.

Once the family is in, I'll take the summer off. In the fall I'll be back to deal with the basement. I'll need something to do over the winter!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
WOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Awesome news! It's wonderful you found a family who needs a nice place to live and will keep it nice, and doubly wonderful you get the summer off from reno work.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »
Wow! That is an amazing amount of effort, and a really wonderful outcome. The new family sounds great.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2017, 10:18:27 AM »
WTG, Prospector!  Those sound like great tenants. 

Not that everything I want to do is done though, more that enthusiasm has waned to the "fukit-I'm-done-with-this" level.

Pretty sure most of life works like that.  The grandpa sounds like he'll help out and probably appreciates the improvements you've made (who doesn't love a newly-done place?)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »
Yay a family!! Congrats on the renting. I hope you had a cold beer* in celebration.

*Or your drink/dessert/treat of choice.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
Aw, who knew your barnhouse story would have such a sweet ending? Nice, very nice.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
Awww. So cute.

You go to a Scotia machine and follow instructions. Possibly break it up into a few deposits. The envelope free machines are crazy new science. They can even take a picture of your money, and print it on the receipt.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »
Such great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
Woohoo - renters! And it sounds like they don't move every year.

Maybe the guy can help you with the downstairs reno! Maybe only while you are there working, at least at first.

Congratulations!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
As I left the grand kids came running in from the backyard. I was walking to the car and heard cheering and yelling "We got it! We got it!!" The kids sounded thrilled. I warmed my cockly heart.

nice!  congratulations

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »
Super news!  Good for you, good for them - who could ask for anything more?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2017, 08:23:12 PM »

Maybe the guy can help you with the downstairs reno! Maybe only while you are there working, at least at first.

Congratulations!

The liability of this makes me cringe. If he hurts himself while working on his own space without me there, it seems less likely to end in a lawsuit against me. If he picks up my tool and slices his leg, I seem to carry more liability.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »

Congratulations!

The liability of this makes me cringe. If he hurts himself while working on his own space without me there, it seems less likely to end in a lawsuit against me. If he picks up my tool and slices his leg,

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2017, 07:39:04 AM »
Yay! They sound like good tenants. Congrats--- you have worked hard for this! (I say that as someone who has been helping my husband convert a duplex into a SFR only 2 miles from our home--for the past year.)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2017, 09:57:05 AM »
Sweet!  So much never ending work has ended!  Beautiful!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »
Hooray!!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
It's Official - you are now a Landlord.

https://youtu.be/SGx3IA7oXho

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2017, 05:38:53 AM »
We're nearing the end of the barnhouse renos. This weeeknd I got trim around the new windows (I had to tear out the trim we had put in around the original windows). The tenants stopped by and I gave them keys - they can start bringing stuff over this week with occupancy on the 15th. This was important to them so they could get heavy stuff moved before the husband goes for a surgery later this month.

We walked through and made up a must-do list for me. I was surprised by how short it is, and by what they are willing to do. I need to make up a handful of panels for the kitchen, put in heat vent covers, finish trimming the windows, get the stairs painted and hook up a couple electric outlets. 

They want to do the heavy work of installing a kitchen backsplash, finish the landscaping in the yard, etc. I am a little concerned with the quality of work, but really... even if they screw up everything, its all stuff that I plan on ripping out and redoing before the next tenant anyway. It will all be OK. Even the landscaping is just moving dirt around.

I have 2 weekends to paint a staircase, install some electric outlets, and trim windows. Should be do-able.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2017, 06:00:09 AM »

I have 2 weekends to paint a staircase, install some electric outlets, and trim windows. Should be do-able.

You will be done by noon Saturday next weekend.  Seriously, after all you have done at Barnhouse, this is almost nothing.