Author Topic: Bandsaw dust collection / blower  (Read 720 times)

moonpalace

• Bristles
Bandsaw dust collection / blower
« on: November 19, 2021, 10:31:17 AM »
I recently got a great Craigslist deal on a Powermatic 14" bandsaw. Dust collection on it was pretty bad using the stock port. I've improved it somewhat with a homemade jig that basically holds a shopvac hose right near the blade underneath the table.

One of the remaining problems seems to be that there is a blower that blows down at the top of the cut, which keeps the cut line clear and visible, but also seems to be spraying dust around. Anyone have thoughts on just removing the blower entirely? I've disconnected it a couple times and it really seems fine, but want to be sure I'm not missing some pitfall here.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bandsaw dust collection / blower
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »
I've never owned a bandsaw with a blower on it to keep the line clear. I've really never had any problems with seeing the line either.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 08:57:10 AM »
Can you deflect the blower? Or just disconnect it if the dust collection works better without it.
I have a re saw bandsaw so I'm mainly just running material against a fence.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 06:07:52 AM »
My bandsaw does not have the dust clearance blower and I've never missed it. I might miss it on small/thin pieces but those are best handled by a scroll saw.

It looks (according to a quick google image search) like your band saw comes with a 4" dust collection port. A shop-vac type vacuum will almost always be insufficient. Most vacuums with a small hose operate as high suction(pressure) low flow, whereas 4" ports are meant to be used with a dust collector system. Those systems operate in the opposite manner high flow low suction.

If you are setting up a good shop I would invest in a dust collector. Honestly the basic harbor freight one is a HF gem IMO. You might also wish to upgrade the filter on it and/or build/buy a dust filter for the air in your shop.

moonpalace

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 06:12:21 AM »
Thanks, all. I disconnected the blower entirely. Definitely improves things.

I should've been more clear in my original post - I have the stock port hooked up via 4" hose to a Rockler DustRight with Super Dust Deputy. That system on its own didn't work that well. The addition of the shop vac right up under the table really helps. So now I run both whenever I'm sawing anything of any size. And just the 4" for quick cuts.