Author Topic: Aluminum siding suggestions? My backyard is a solar oven!  (Read 4271 times)

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Aluminum siding suggestions? My backyard is a solar oven!
« on: April 27, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for ideas. My house was built in the late 60's and still has its original aluminum siding. It's in OK condition, but is showing its age a little. It's white and could use a coat of paint, and a little TLC to get it back into shape.

My biggest problem is my backyard - it's like being in a solar oven back there. The house reflects the sun and it's completely blinding. I don't know if it's because it's aluminum, or because it's white (and I'm guessing still the original factory coating - there's not much on there).

Any suggestions or ideas? Will it help to paint it another colour? Should we look at replacing it with a different product, like vinyl siding? is it even worth trying to repair 45 year old siding?
Thanks!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Aluminum siding suggestions? My backyard is a solar oven!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »
I'd repaint it. I was reading that a good way to preserve shingles was to paint them white.. I might do that on our roof (if the wife will let me.. she's not keen!!).

White reflects heat; black absorbs. So if you want your house to be warmer, paint it black!!

Um. How about putting some grass and plants down? A tree to shade your house a little? Concrete also reflects heat, so if you have that in the garden... take it out (if you don't park on it!)

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
Thanks daverobev, good call on the shade. I should have mentioned I got a retractable awning this week from a neighbour who's updating. I need to plant a tree for shade. The ones I have now will always be small and don't provide any.

Anyone else ever paint their aluminum siding? I'm leaning towards a light-medium green... don't know if it will help reduce the sun reflecting...

jdchmiel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
just think how hot your house wold be without all that heat being reflected off of it!

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »
Dude, that side of your house is like two or three USDA heartiness zones higher than the surrounding. Depending on where you live, this might mean that you could plant bananas or citrus fruit there! Also, you could chuck some swiss chard or bell peppers or even a dwarf cherry plant!

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/crops-and-gardening/edible-landscaping.aspx

God I'm so jealous.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »
Dude, that side of your house is like two or three USDA heartiness zones higher than the surrounding. Depending on where you live, this might mean that you could plant bananas or citrus fruit there! Also, you could chuck some swiss chard or bell peppers or even a dwarf cherry plant!

God I'm so jealous.

Until it gets covered in a thick, thick blanket of fluffy snow. For 4 months. :)

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:23:43 PM »

God I'm so jealous.

Haha! I'd love to plant something exotic. Do banana trees like snow? :)
My tomatoes do grow well back there.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
How about kiwi vines? I want to get some of them going, sometime...

Raspberries and apples going in, this year! Hopefully!

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 03:40:43 AM »

God I'm so jealous.

Haha! I'd love to plant something exotic. Do banana trees like snow? :)
My tomatoes do grow well back there.

Haha, you could get a dwarf one (mine was about 6 bucks), keep it in a large pot and move it inside before first frost.