Author Topic: Almost Epic Fail  (Read 6837 times)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
Almost Epic Fail
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
Long Story; Not Short
So, I bought a new grease gun (the person who usually loaned me his moved away) from Walmart and went out to grease the electric golf cart, which we use for running errands around town (it's legal here).  First I had to assemble the grease gun, which was easy, but no grease came out.  Read the instructions, which said to unscrew the cap and let the air out, so I did.  Unfortunately, the grease was under pressure and about half the grease squirted out onto the ground before I was able to get the cap back on.

Backed the cart out of the garage and noticed the driveway was covered with ants.  No problem; I have bug spray.  Pumped up the container and started spraying.  Kablooie!  The bottom split open dumping bug spray onto the driveway.  Invented some new words.  In a panic I tried to release the pressure, but this bug spray container didn't have a release method, so it continued until I figured out to lay it on its side so the air could escape - success.  Now I had to deal with at least a pint of bug spray running down the driveway.  There are lots of kids in the neighborhood and I didn't want it running into the street where they play.  So found a broom and swept the puddles around until half the driveway had been "treated" with bug spray.

Now get the grease gun and get on the ground to finish what I started.  Pump, pump, pump, ... and no grease coming out.  Released the pressure, took off the cap and determined that the grease gun was defective and not pushing the grease up to the pump.  Manually dug out some grease and shoved it into the pump, and screwed the cap back on.  Pumped that into the first grease zerk.  Repeat multiple times to get the other parts greased.  Clean up the grease in the driveway from the first fail.  Left the bug bottle laying in the driveway for later.  Went in and took a shower.

When I told my DW this story, her first question was, "you didn't use the good broom, did you?"  Got another ah s**t added to my collection.

Normally this would be a five minute job.  Next time I'll try to find someone with a low, flat trailer to take it to the cart shop for service.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Almost Epic Fail
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
haha, it just wasn't your day.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
There's a bright side here I am sure.
You now know more about grease guns, bug sprayers and the value that your wife assigns to objects such as brooms.
I'd count that as a successful day :)
Onward!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
The planets were obviously not in alignment.

MMM4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 12:42:07 AM »
The best teaching method is cases where you failed so you're welcome.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
Long Story; Not Short
So, I bought a new grease gun (the person who usually loaned me his moved away) from Walmart and went out to grease the electric golf cart, which we use for running errands around town (it's legal here).  First I had to assemble the grease gun, which was easy, but no grease came out.  Read the instructions, which said to unscrew the cap and let the air out, so I did.  Unfortunately, the grease was under pressure and about half the grease squirted out onto the ground before I was able to get the cap back on.

Backed the cart out of the garage and noticed the driveway was covered with ants.  No problem; I have bug spray.  Pumped up the container and started spraying.  Kablooie!  The bottom split open dumping bug spray onto the driveway.  Invented some new words.  In a panic I tried to release the pressure, but this bug spray container didn't have a release method, so it continued until I figured out to lay it on its side so the air could escape - success.  Now I had to deal with at least a pint of bug spray running down the driveway.  There are lots of kids in the neighborhood and I didn't want it running into the street where they play.  So found a broom and swept the puddles around until half the driveway had been "treated" with bug spray.

Now get the grease gun and get on the ground to finish what I started.  Pump, pump, pump, ... and no grease coming out.  Released the pressure, took off the cap and determined that the grease gun was defective and not pushing the grease up to the pump.  Manually dug out some grease and shoved it into the pump, and screwed the cap back on.  Pumped that into the first grease zerk.  Repeat multiple times to get the other parts greased.  Clean up the grease in the driveway from the first fail.  Left the bug bottle laying in the driveway for later.  Went in and took a shower.

When I told my DW this story, her first question was, "you didn't use the good broom, did you?"  Got another ah s**t added to my collection.

Normally this would be a five minute job.  Next time I'll try to find someone with a low, flat trailer to take it to the cart shop for service.

Great story, I enjoyed very much, even if it wasn't your best day.  It makes for a good story though and something you can look back on and laugh.  Thanks for sharing.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »
Your wife's good broom sounds like my good scissors - use incorrectly under pain of death. May be a slight exaggeration, but not much... :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:37:42 AM »
Drain cleaner killer ants better than anything else. We have a product here called domestos. Wouldn't use anything else..

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 02:32:50 AM »
Haha... it wasn't for lack of trying.  :)

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »
Man I have had these days.

When I commented to my girlfriend about tinkering with something she gave me a weird look and said, "You never tinker with stuff."

Befuddled, I asked her "What are you talking about? I tinker with stuff all the time."

She said "You just get mad and swear at things."

So I told her "That is tinkering! Otherwise it would just be called 'fixing'! "

Sounds like you had a full day of tinkering in the driveway.

CALL 911

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
I can relate.

3 hours into a 2 hour brake job, the ceiling starts raining. Since the ceiling has never rained before, I figure I better look into it. Like right now. So I run up to investigate (with greasy hands). The washer is leaking, and the drain pan under it is overflowing. I kill the washer.

I wash my hands, since I've now got an incomplete brake job, a leaking washer, a flooded drain pan and handprints on at least twice as many things as I actually touched.

I go bail out the drain pan, and find a cardboard circle, 50 cent piece sized, perfectly sealing the drain hole in the bottom, the one over the floor drain. Only it isn't over the floor drain.

I half disassemble the washer and figure out where the leak is and what part needs replacement. I go to order it. $200. I put it off, and return to the brakes, after dinner of course.

In all, my two hour brake job took nearly 9 hours. I got the washer part ordered under an alternate part number for $70. I used a hole saw to drill a larger drain hole in the right spot, and used the waste disk with super glue over the small, misplaced hole. I still have the drywall to fix. The water coursed 20 or 30 feet to where it started raining.

This is how we get stories to tell.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 11:46:45 AM »
Thanks for making mine look simple!  I, too, have done 4+ hour brake jobs, but only because the parts didn't fit and required multiple trips to get the right parts, turn the rotors, etc.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!