Author Topic: 98 Civic won't start (Video)  (Read 3679 times)

d3minimis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
98 Civic won't start (Video)
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
Replaced the starter and the battery and still getting this noise without the car starting. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNIIJcrKitU&feature=youtu.be

d3minimis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 98 Civic won't start (Video)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
A friend of mine who is a Honda/Acura mechanic says it's probably the main fuel relay or the fuel pump.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
It's easy to check if it is a fuel problem or not. Spray some starting fluid into the intake and then try to start. If it does but only briefly, it is definitely lack of fuel. If it's the same then your problem is spark or compression related (or too much fuel but that would be obvious by the smell).

d3minimis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
Sorry, but I'm still a novice with all this. When you say 'into the intake' what do you mean/where is that located?

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »
The intake is where your air filter is at.  Open up your airbox and spray the starting fluid in there while someone is cranking it, not a lot, just enough to hear if it is firing.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:55:58 PM »
Starter is cranking the engine over.  Engine isn't catching... check for spark, compression, fuel.

cartechguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 05:33:58 AM »
How many miles are on the vehicle?  IF this vehicle has a Timing Belt (I can't remember off the top of my head but I think It does) that may be your problem.

It sounds like its spinning.  Have a friend gently tap on the gas tank and you crank it and see if it starts.  If it does then its your fuel pump!! A much easier fix than a POSSIBLE timing belt!

Let me know if you need more help.

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
That doesn't sound good at all.  It sounds like it's not getting compression on some cylinders.  If that's the case, you have a possible timing belt break and are now needing a new motor.

What prompted you to replace the battery and starter?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
I get this once in a while, maybe every other winter? I just keep the key turned in the starter for a bit longer (5 seconds instead of 3) and press on the gas pedal, it takes a few tries sometimes. Know idea why it does this when it is cold out but it does. If it is the fuel mix at gas station or something, or just a fuel pump issue, I haven't figured it out myself since it doesn't happen often, once a year or so. If it is fuel mix (we got a winter mix here in KC, not sure about other places), could put in some octane increasing liquid (like lighter fluid), sorry I don't know what the real term is.

You could also have someone turn the engine and go to engine and where the spark plugs come out of the engine, there's wire that is pulled that increases amount of fuel that goes into the engine. If you pull on it a bit with hand (it isn't hot, if you get right one, it looks like a little pulley). It opens the valve and lets more fuel in. I think this is same thing as using the in-take mentioned above, but I like just pressing on the pulley since I don't have to remove anything. Sorry for vague terms, I don't know actual words, but this is what my mechanic friends do and I copy them and it works.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
When you click the key to the "on" position (not start), you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or two? Do you hear it?
If not, check fuse for fuel pump. Make sure all connections are good.

Did you disconnect plug wires? If you did, make sure they're in the correct spots.

If fuel pump is good, might need to check pressure at the rail. My 220k Civic had a bad fuel pressure regulator and did similar stuff. Went to rockauto for best price.

Any more details?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!