Author Topic: 16 yo Builds $12K House; Never Wants Mortgage  (Read 7820 times)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
Re: 16 yo Builds $12K House; Never Wants Mortgage
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
So awesome!  Super cool that his parents let him do it, too. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »
Very cool but the banner add on the link was for Neiman Marcus.  Guess big data has not figured every thing out yet.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
Very cool but the banner add on the link was for Neiman Marcus.  Guess big data has not figured every thing out yet.

Not yet! But, I think they are outside your house. LOL

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
Aw, how cute, a Mini Mustachian!  That's great he had the support of his parents to do this.

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
Because I don't understand how this would work here or anywhere else. The article states that he plans to take his house to college. How does that work? Where does he park it? Would he have to buy land?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 03:00:15 AM »
Hm... since this is on a trailer, can he park it in a RV park? How is it that different than a RV except shape?

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:03:27 AM »
Hm... since this is on a trailer, can he park it in a RV park? How is it that different than a RV except shape?

Ah yeah, that makes sense. An amazing achievement at 16.

RaveOregon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
All he needs is a parking pass I would think!

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »
All he needs is a parking pass I would think!

A parking pass won't give him a hook up for water and electricty. But in the second video he said he plans to find someone who will let him park on their property near school for small fee.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
Solar panels would provide electricity :D
water... ugh rain barrel?
The school's economic department may let him park outside the building too, if he can work it into a project

but the small houses like these that I've seen, how is there enough room between walls for insulation? I mean I know you can put some between the walls but is that enough for a cold winter?

edit: now I want one too :( Induction stove + electric heater/ac too. And a solar panel on the roof. But I'd need a truck to hull this around. But I could see these being useful for disaster hit areas too. With a few gas generators, it'd get people into a bed/warm space
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:50:07 AM by eyem »

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
Because I don't understand how this would work here or anywhere else. The article states that he plans to take his house to college. How does that work? Where does he park it? Would he have to buy land?

The Tiny House culture has extensive information on this question, but suffice it to say that there's not really a simple answer. It's built on a mobile trailer, nearly always less than 9' wide and 13' off the ground (so that it can be towed without any special permits). You can park it anywhere, and many of them have active/passive solar, propane, and water collection/storage so that you don't need constant power/water hookups, although that's a very short term option.

Chances are good he'll find someone locally when he goes to school that likes the idea of supporting his choice, and wants to make an extra 50-200 bucks a month for him to park in their back yard.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

See http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ for a lot of info on this.

One of the motivations behidn the trailers is to avoid permitting and zoning issues. A lot of places won't allow a house below a certain size to be built, but most places let you park a vehicle on your own property.

My impression is that you usually park on a friend or family's land, or rent space somewhere. I don't think they get moved very often.

The tumbleweed site also has small (850-ish sq foot max, but that's a 3-bedroom) traditional houses.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 07:08:10 AM »
I know this is a silly detail but did anyone else find it funny how he was talking about how most people like a lot of clothes so they can pick and choose, but not him--next to his rack of 9 baseball caps?
I'll never understand young men and their caps.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 10:45:16 AM »
At my school we always had a couple people living on boats on "college creek".