Author Topic: "Painting" Stucco  (Read 2067 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
"Painting" Stucco
« on: July 19, 2016, 09:28:14 AM »
I have an old friend who owns a painting company. Our house is stucco, and in dire need of a facelift. Eschewing the expensive re-stuccoing, he has offered to paint our stucco at a little over cost. I'm reading conflicting viewpoints on using paint on stucco, on the other hand, I'm reading about paints that are supposed to be great for putting on stucco.

Can anyone shed some light on this conflicting advice?

Thanks in advance,

onemorebike

Lookilu

• Stubble
Re: "Painting" Stucco
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 11:12:24 AM »
As a southern California native, I've only ever lived in stucco houses. Around here painting is definitely the norm and any good exterior paint should do the job. I'd only consider re-stuccoing if there was actual damage to the stucco.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »
Repainting stucco isn't a problem.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
Huh? As a fellow CA native (Hi lookilu!) and a person married to a painting contractor, I'm scratching my head over this comment. What the hell? Who told you that?

A word about re-stuccoing: patches NEVER match. If you replace windows, for example, unless you re-stucco the whole house, it's always going to show. And forget doing a wall but not the whole house. Yup, the whole house.

DH and I own several single family homes. We brake for open houses. DH can read a house like a book. I love listening and learning from the stories the houses tell if one knows how to read them.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:38:08 AM »
Make sure that the paint is appropriate. Stucco"breathes". The paint must be vapor permeable or any water/water vapor that gets behind it will migrate into your home. A vapor permeable paint let's the water out. Provided that you use the right paint, this should work fine.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »
I highly recommend elastomeric paint. I've painted my stucco house myself with it. I buy good quality paint from Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams. It seals up the cracks really well and helps block some of the heat transfer. I also live in CA and my house face East with no trees, almost all windows are in front and back so I get a ton of sun.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
If your stucco is the older cementitious type with bits of stone or glass embedded in the stucco, give the walls a good wash with a power washer first.  This will knock off any loose bits that might come off after the paint job.  Also, make sure to let it dry thoroughly before proceeding with the painting.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!