Author Topic: The Principle of Constant Optimization: What's Your Myers-Briggs?  (Read 179739 times)

Bardo

• Stubble
Re: The Principle of Constant Optimization: What's Your Myers-Briggs?
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
Last time I took it I was borderline INTJ-INTP.  They had me re-take it and then I tipped slightly into the INTP box.  Given the amount of salt with which these things should be taken, both categories seem to be descriptive enough.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »
INTP for this guy, and relatively solid based on taking one back in school for a class, then just a few months ago for a workshop at work. 

Not sure what that says about me.  Most people think I'm judging them when I ask "why?" questions alot, my friends all know better thankfully :). 

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »
INTJ male, and my gf is an INTJ female. They're supposed to be rare, but not around here.

startswithhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
I'm ENTP or ENFP depending on the test.
Husband is one of those reliable, highly agreeable ones. Introverted too. It's a lot of fun in our house.

Decalin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2015, 01:00:46 AM »
Retook the test because of a comment on MMM

INTJ
Introvert(89%)  iNtuitive(12%)  Thinking(1%)  Judging(67%)
You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (89%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
You have distinct preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

Apparently I have found our super secret lair.

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2015, 05:14:35 AM »
Female, ENFP (but almost INFP).

Quite common I guess?

I don't think any personality type is that rare and only shows the extremes in that personality type to be rare.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »

INTJ

Are you me?!   Identical percentages :)

Decalin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »

INTJ

O.O So which one of us is the evil twin?

So do any other INTJs feel like they think in computer code? I remember taking Intro to Programming and just breezing through everything because I apparently think in Python. I'm taking web development on Treehouse right now to possibly do a career move/side hustle.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »

INTJ

O.O So which one of us is the evil twin?

So do any other INTJs feel like they think in computer code? I remember taking Intro to Programming and just breezing through everything because I apparently think in Python. I'm taking web development on Treehouse right now to possibly do a career move/side hustle.

When you draw, does it turn out very mechanical?

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
I have tested INTJ as well as INTP. I only took the free online tests FWIW. My SO, who is ENTJ, and studied Social Psychology says that makes sense because either way I am a controlling ass! I really do love her honesty.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2015, 07:57:46 AM »
Female INTJ.   Thinking that my preference for INTJ is also connected to my preference for MMM lifestyle.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
INTJ. Just took the test for the first time. Have no idea what it means.

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)

Decalin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »
When you draw, does it turn out very mechanical?

No, but I usually go through a ton of sheets of paper due to rampant perfectionism.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2015, 03:16:17 AM »

Nope. I'm an Aerospace Engineer and undertook the obligatory programming subjects at Uni, but they weren't a natural fit for me. I;m on the cusp of INFJ though, so find that I'm a lot more about  'big picture' thinking than details. I hate details, which is why I sucked at coding.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:17:55 AM by MsRichLife »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:47 AM »
I (INT/FJ) don't think in computer code either, but I thought that was because I'm not an engineer :P

Ms Independent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
Strong ENFP -- very N, very F, very (very) P.

Though I think the ENFP type isn't the most obvious fit, I think I can point out a couple facets of the type that, for me, seem to contribute to my interest in FI:
  • I mentioned I'm a very strong P -- I like to have all the possibilities at the same time. I need a great deal of freedom -- FI is all about freedom, possibilities, options.
  • ENFPs are creative types -- the FI path (pre and post) provides a lot of opportunities for innovation.

I'll also say that I'm a magnet for INTJs -- i.e. the software engineer types that seem to make up a large proportion of MMM's readership. I'm even married to an INTJ and managed to get him on board for FI by showing him MMM's blog -- I think he needed to hear it in his native tongue ...

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2015, 05:08:03 AM »
Strong ENFP -- very N, very F, very (very) P.

Though I think the ENFP type isn't the most obvious fit, I think I can point out a couple facets of the type that, for me, seem to contribute to my interest in FI:
  • I mentioned I'm a very strong P -- I like to have all the possibilities at the same time. I need a great deal of freedom -- FI is all about freedom, possibilities, options.
  • ENFPs are creative types -- the FI path (pre and post) provides a lot of opportunities for innovation.

I'll also say that I'm a magnet for INTJs -- i.e. the software engineer types that seem to make up a large proportion of MMM's readership. I'm even married to an INTJ and managed to get him on board for FI by showing him MMM's blog -- I think he needed to hear it in his native tongue ...

Yep, INFP here, and I think you nailed it.  It's not about the wealth, ultimately, it's about FREEDOM.   Plus I've been a SAHM for 6 years, it's not as fun without my husband here to share the freedom with me.  My hubby is an INTJ.  ;-)

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2015, 10:19:49 AM »
They gave the test to everyone in my department.  I initially tested pretty much on the INTJ-INTP border, so I was re-tested and tipped slightly over into INTP.

Interesting to see the number here of groups that supposedly aren't prevalent as a whole.

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »
Can we add a poll to this thread?

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »
Can we add a poll to this thread?

I was just thinking that!

I'm very strongly INFP. I approach FI very differently from the main writers out there, Jacob and MMM. It's about freedom and upholding personal values rather than finding efficiencies for me. I start with the inner personal goals and then have to work backwards to figure out how to implement them. So the efficiencies are necessary for the freedom I want, but that's not a natural tendency for me -- budgeting and watching expenses. Getting better at it, though.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
INFJ.

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:50 PM »
INFJ - sometimes INTJ - always N

INTJ, I was borderline E on the most comprehensive MB test I took when I was late 20s and working.  I think the descriptions are pretty accurate for me and frankly many early retirees.

INTJ is by far the most common MB personality on FIRE forums.

winterbike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2015, 08:52:29 AM »
ENTJ male here. Seems like I was born to rule over you peasants! Don't worry though,

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
ENTJ male here. Seems like I was born to rule over you peasants! Don't worry though,

No worries, the INTJ's humbly submit to their ENTJ overlords. While secretly plotting their demise.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2015, 08:45:53 AM »
INTJ - optimize, question, build systems, break systems and rebuild better ones. Introvert so I generate my energy and self-identify without need for others.

It's an ideal personality type for ER stuff.

-- Vik

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
Apparently INTJ is fairly optimal for earnings too, though the ENTJs beat all:

At least according to yahoo finance http://finance.yahoo.com/news/personality-types-most-least-amount-140826566.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:07:56 PM by step-in-time »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2015, 08:02:33 PM »
Aha!

I should have looked at this before I married my husband.   This explains a lot.   Hmmm,  maybe my artistic daughter just needs to like male ENTJ's to be all set?
(jk,   she is getting tired of my "innovative" constant prompts, though, about how she has to plan to be self sufficient if she wants to be a starving artist!)

Thanks for the Link, I had not seen this yet.  It's a great hoot.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:04:34 PM by goldielocks »

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2015, 11:54:31 PM »
 ENFP
Extravert(1%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Feeling(25%)  Perceiving(11%)

I think my Myers-Briggs is entirely dependent upon what I've been doing most recently. I'll swing around all those categories with relative ease.

As an adult, I've always thought of myself as an extroverted introvert. I'm happy to put on the silly suit and dance around to get people's attention...but only if it is in service to something greater than myself - and then I need to go chill and read a book and have some nice quiet time.

But seriously, real people and their real stories are ever so much more interesting than TV.

And everything I do I judge and optimize. So what is up with that Perceiving score? Maybe because I live with adolescents and am working really hard to accept life as it presents itself and not how I wish it would be? ;-)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2015, 12:05:13 PM »
Humor me if you will, but I find "N" is the hardest thing to test for**, given how it relates to nonlinear connect the dots function it is. Therefore, I'm willing to bet that about 50% of the people who test "N" actually turn out to be "S". So far my hypothesis has proved true nearly 100% of the times, so I tend to believe it to be true until proven otherwise. :)

** Based, for instance, on this test, where there are may be three questions that test for "N" vs "S":

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Okay, people, the online tests try to come close, but they are not rigorously vetted / tested for test - retest and internal consistency like the official Myers Briggs Forms.   It is very difficult hard to write questions that test / retest across a wide population.

If you want to critically discount MBTI, great.  We can all discuss that, but realize that anyone can put anything on the internet. 

Regarding the article that someone posted, I was fine with the opinion (disagree with its viewpoint though, as 16 personality group types offers a huge amount of variation).  But the claim that 50% test / retest changes is misleading....

According to the MBTI Manual , third ed., 1990 Isabel Meyers et al.   (I have an older copy), the Test - Retest across 4 weeks is close to 90% and up to 97% for each individual letter (Form M) and n=424.  Test - Retest comparing Form G for under and over 9 months, and a population of n=1698 has each letter of retest at 59% (T-F) to 84% (E-I).  Form M has higher reliability, but both are much higher than chance.  Other controlled tests shows that mood did not significantly affect test-rest.

Over a 50 year time, starting in high school, test respondent (n=39) had 54% remain within one letter of the original.  (Form G and restested on Form M).  Given that MBTI theory allows for people maturing and the early test forms were not intended for people under the age of 18, this is very good for psychometrics results.  (It is a fuzzy soft science, after all). 

Organisms are not hard science and test statically like physics.  Heck, even my hand measurement will change over 6 months, so why should we expect psychometrics to not have variation?  As long as the correlations are strikingly high, across a large sample, then I am good with the statistics that support it.

So,  the MBTI Test- retest reliability is quite high, not perfect, but much much higher than chance.   T-F is the most likely scale to change.  The recent question form "M" is better than the original form "G".   

Oh, and college students show much higher test - retest correlations than high school students, or than lower achieving students, and ethnicity did not have a factor.  So if you took the official Form G or Form M, and are a college grad, your retest consistency is likely very high.

The reason I like MBTI is that it allows for a lot of complexity across populations, has a huge sample base, and has a deep depth of research (statistical) to support it.   All psychometrics at best self selected correlations, not cause and effect, but as a tool for thinking about life and what you want out of it, and why you want / do / say different things than others, it is great!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
ENTJ, apparently we only make up 2-3% of the population. These boards are heavily INTJ, I'm not that different than most of you, just a lil more extroverted =D

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
INTJ- looks like I'm in the right place!

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »
INTP

Introvert(78%)  iNtuitive(50%)  Thinking(62%)  Perceiving(11%)

valk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #232 on: March 04, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »
I have always rated as an INTJ.  I have taken the test a few times over my life and just for giggles, I took the Keirsey test which is (based off of my understanding) is a slightly more detailed version.  That also came back INTJ: Mastermind. 

Link:
http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/mastermind.asp
It is nice to see many similar mindsets.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #233 on: March 05, 2015, 12:11:26 AM »
I use to think I was a special unique snowflake, nope, turns out my quirks are because I am textbook INFJ

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »
I use to think I was a special unique snowflake, nope, turns out my quirks are because I am textbook INFJ

INFJs tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.

There are worse things to be... ;)

markpst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »
ISTJ

Introverted (64%)
Observant (29%)
Thinking (5%)
Judging (15%)

New to this forum. Age 43, single. $200K in 401k, only started maxing contributions 3 or 4 year ago. $100K in Roth IRA. Just paid off mortgage. $50k in taxable stocks. I am learning a lot from this site!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »

INFJs tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.

There are worse things to be... ;)

Yeah just wished it paid better in general ;) but hey...forum modding..that's helpin' people learn how to fish, right? :)

Ramblin' Ma'am

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »
Female ISTJ. The introversion/sensing parts show only a slight preference, but the thinking/judging parts are strongly expressed.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
ENFP here. So many IxxJ here, explains why so many posters seem borderline-autistic, arrogant and judgmental.

Seems like with the sweeping judgements you just made, you don't fully understand the nuances of the Myers-Brigg classifications.  Or, you are interacting with the people/threads on this forum in a very superficial way.

Spend some time getting to know the regulars around here (the journal section is a great place to start) or perhaps this is not the right community for you.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »
ENFP here. So many IxxJ here, explains why so many posters seem borderline-autistic, arrogant and judgmental.

They're the judgmental ones?

Thanks for the laugh!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

KithKanan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »
ISTP (at least this time).

Heavily I and P while S/N and T/F are borderline and my results vary from test to test.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
ENTP or INTP  for me

NTP are pretty strong; I and E hover around the middle.

Hey, same personality!

*high five*

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2015, 09:22:02 PM »
ENTP or INTP  for me

NTP are pretty strong; I and E hover around the middle.

Hey, same personality!

*high five*

I feel left out of this ENTP/INTP high five fest. Virtual high five to you as well.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:32:59 PM by Kriegsspiel II »

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
ENFP here! Someone should post a poll.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2015, 02:05:09 PM »
ISFJ here--I'm a little jealous of all you INTJs. In no way, shape, or form do I want to be characterized as C3PO.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »
Relevant article: Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless

Hat tip to Lifehacker, who summarize, saying:
The Myers-Briggs test is based on personality types developed in the 1940s that have little connection to any real data. More problematic, though, is that it classifies personalities by a binary preference for a particular trait. In reality, however, most people exist on a spectrum between the two and can vary between them from week to week.

It can be amusing to look at, but don't take it too seriously, basically.  Something to keep in mind.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »
My husband and I, in a meme:

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »
Haha, love it!

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
Relevant article: Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless

Good article! I prefer the Five Factor model, mentioned in the article. The book Snoop by Sam Gosling has an excellent chapter exlaining the Five Factor model and why it's superior to Myers-Briggs.

My Big 5 personality traits self-assessment:
Higher than average: Openness
About average: Agreeableness
Lower than average: Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Neuroticism

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!