Author Topic: The Principle of Constant Optimization: What's Your Myers-Briggs?  (Read 179736 times)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
Re: The Principle of Constant Optimization: What's Your Myers-Briggs?
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »
Another female INTJ here. ::waves::

Introvert(67%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Thinking(12%)  Judging(78%)
•You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
•You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
•You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
•You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)

read books

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2014, 04:00:13 PM »
INTJ - female, not an engineer

From what I remember, averaging out taking free version a few times told me:
 I was moderate,
 N was extremely strong,
T and J were low.

The over-all INTJ description seems fairly accurate.

My response is really about the question in the original post about whether INTJ's with their / our constant drive for optimization are missing the benefits of other lifestyles. I believe that it is common for INTJ -ish people to miss out on things like pleasure and beauty, and the importance of abstract ideas that do not relate to utility. This is not an across the board critique, but considering a few issues that I have seen in a short time following this blog and reading occasional random articles gives me the idea that a lot of people who comment on MMM do miss out on certain things.

For example, I recently read the article about selling silverware antique silverware to be melted down, and the idea seemed to be very widely considered to be a great idea. Although in some cases I think it could be, I suggest that using the solid silverware is a better approach. Eating with solid silverware is a pleasurable experience hat no other metal can deliver in my opinion, and the way in which frequent use ages silverware is beautiful. Are people simply not noticing this? why are people only using theor silverware twice a year? silverware responds well to use. If you sell it, you get a few hundred bucks, or a few thousand. That money is soon gone, probably on something less lasting with less potential to provide beauty and pleasure. The thought of melting down that beautiful old silver makes my rational heart sad.

Maybe silverware isn't your thing, and this is just a example.

But I believe that learning to appreciate experiences like eating with real silverware or using expensive handmade pottery, or buying a provocative or lovely piece of artwork, would enrich the lives of highly logical, analytical/ INTJ /engineer types. I have noticed that people with whom I share rational traits tend to really struggle to appreciate things that don't relate to science and money. Other things are also often used as means rather than appreciated as ends. I hear things like " music is good for kids because it will make them good at math" or "art is a waste of money, " and I think those people are not living a optimized life.

This might just be a curse, but I also hate bad wine and can tell when I'm served it. Sadly, cheap wine is often bad. I also can't stand to drink the same exact wine week after month after year. Even to this, there is a rationale, though: I don't drink much, and if I'm going to out alcohol in my body, I want to enjoy it a lot. I will choose tap water over wine I don't like. Drinking an interesting wine is an experience and a luxury; so is going to a concert to listen to classical music. So is reading a poem or novel, or looking at a sunset-- and those things can be free. My thought, though, is that INTJ oriented people are often extraordinarily narrow minded about what kinds of experiences they are willing to learn to appreciate, regardless of what they can afford and regardless of cost.

My suggestion, for anyone interested, is to set a challenge for yourself to appreciate something that seems useless to you. You can even pick something free :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:12:54 PM by read books »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2014, 05:21:47 AM »
I'm not a MB expert but from my reading, both INTJs and INFJs have Se as their inferior function ( which is often subconscious). That is, sensing which is extraverted. So like ESPs where sensing is extraverted, both INFJs and INTJs are drawn to material comforts, novel sensations, aesthetics, and are lovers of fine things and experiences.

So I humbly disagree with you.  INTJs will certainly appreciate beauty. I think your response is a Se reaction. I don't mean this as a personal attack, I'm just trying to explain why I think you posted what you did and why I disagree.

Jacob from ERE certainly is a lover of fine things/experiences, but his T auxilliary has found a logical way of dealing with this. He likes leather coats,  Rolex watches and sailing. He buys second hand and argues that when is he finished with the item he can sell it for close to as much as he paid for it. He crews on other peoples sailboats:free. Seems like he's figured out good compromises to honour both T and Se.

The reason why this is important that the inferior function,  is a kind of Jekyll characteristic, and because its subconcious can cause strife.  When I look back, there are periods of my life when I've flipped into an ESP party mode, overtaken by sensate indulgences such as beautiful possessions and fine dining. Something will bring me back to ground and I look back and go "What was I thinking?". If you are an INTJ or an INFJ, and you are trying to learn frugality, then being aware of the negative potential of unfettered inferior Se is helpful, IMO. I had to spend some time sorting this out for myself since I seemed to be torn in different directions at times.

minimalistmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »
I love Myers-Briggs.  Been fascinated by it for a few years.  I am a solid INFP.  I am amazed at the amount of INTJ's there are on here.

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »
Yet another INTJ woman here! I've taken the test a number of times and I always come up INTJ. I work as a lawyer and it feeds into my problem solving, organized, and strategist strengths but sometimes dealing with so many people everyday can be exhausting. I completely understand why FIRE appeals to so many INTJs, it uses organization, planning, long term goals, continuous optimization and re-evaluation of expenses and investments.

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »
Interesting thread - didn't know there was a strong correlation between MMM and INTJ personalities. I've taken the text a few times, and usually test as an INTP - not so many of those here.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2014, 07:41:41 AM »
ENTJ female here.  I never thought much about MB myself, but it was revelatory for someone close to me.  It really helped her grasp that not everyone sees the world from the same perspective. 

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
ENFJ here, with very balanced N and S -- depending on what job I had, I've also tested ESFJ.

Strong E, strong F, and super strong J. I'm never late for a movie! ;)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
BAMF

Russ

• Handlebar Stache

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
+1 female INTJ.

Also I am sceptical both about personality and IQ tests, MB can`t be completely off if a voluntary assembly of strangers on the net gravitate so heavily to one type among 16.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache

cmoate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »
I'm an ISTJ.

However the test did say I have little to no preference for introversion over extroversion, the rest are atleast moderate preference. (This is from memory, I did the test a little while ago)

So surprising that so many INTJ's are here though, I couldn't really imagine it before I came to this thread!

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
INTJ here - tested it straight over the past 4 years when I first heard of it. The concept of course isn't incredibly scientific, but it definitely makes explaining a lot of human actions easier.

My guess is MMM is ENTJ. Has anyone actually see some confirmation from him?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
INTJ like 40 or so percent of this forum. We are way over represented. Male if that is important. SO is complete opposite (ESFP). Somehow the little (she's short) hedonist has always been somewhat frugal. Not MMM frugal. It wasn't hard to get her on board because she hates seeing people go through money issues, though she'll let me handle the investing as long as she can be a free spirit. I love the planning and the investing and the optimizing aspects of FIRE. I'm also impossibly bad at doing things if I don't plan enough. I get really lazy with a lack of planning/structure and tend to be bad at making the structure I need unless I put my mind to it as a separate task. FIRE should be about 15 years away for me (24).

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2014, 05:50:01 PM »
INTJ is the rarest type for a woman with ENTJ right behind. I'm an IN(t/f)J. I'm really strong on the INJ parts but more iffy on the thinking a feeling.

Me too. INJ are solid. I'm on the border with T and F. I was quite a solid INTJ when I was younger, but recently tested INFJ.

I'm an Aerospace Engineer but currently completing a Masters of Philosophy where I get to sit by myself and think all day. Love it!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:00:25 PM by MsRichLife »

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »
INTJ/ISTJ male here.  Pretty strong on everything but the S and N which can go either way. 

The MBTI has always fascinated me but this is an amazing number of INTJ s on this site.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
INTP here.  Just kinda watching the thread . . .

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2014, 05:11:45 AM »
It doesn't surprise me that there are quite a few INTJ people on this forum.

I'm a female INFJ, it made me laugh when I read INFJs like to exert control by planning, organizing and making decisions as early as possible as it's very accurate.

I just got my husband to do the test and he is ISTP which is named The Mechanic which is weird as that describes his job.

ajhostet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »
I was just wondering this!  I am INFP and have been since 18 with small changes.  This means that I have the perfectionist tendency without (for me, at least) the judgment that leads to consistently rational choices.  The "P" is low--1%--so I have tested INTJ before, but not often.  I do the test yearly with my students.

As my friends know, and the type description suggests, I can be wholly engaged in and talented at chosen projects, but also struggle to finish them occasionally.  Details are not my strong suit, which is consistent with the INFP profile.  However, I appreciate MMM's statements regarding personal choice and habit-forming, and definitely believe people can change. While I have heard that it helps to have a partner who complements you if you're more impulsive, I have read many "success stories" from single Mustachians.

How would you suggest re-entering the Mustachian mindset if you've been gone?  I'm in a new place and find myself unusually concerned with what people think, since I have yet to meet a Mustachian.  Any tips as to how to re-integrate Mustachian ways into my life without giving a crap what others think?  Any tips on how to socialize with more spendy expats (I am in Beijing)?  And how much do you think personality has to do with frugality and early retirement--can people succeed at it who are not INTJ? ;-)

Songbird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »
Another INTJ female here.  I think we have found our niche!

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »
Another INTJ female here.  I think we have found our niche!

IMO we INTJ's are constantly looking to optimize our lives, so Mustachianism is the next logical step.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2014, 10:08:18 PM »
ENTP

It's been a long while since I took this test. From what I remember, my N and P were very strong. I can go either way on the E/I and T/F. I think the older I get, I get more F than T. I wonder what I would test as today.

But my NP is super strong and I don't think will ever change.

Am I in the minority here?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:02 PM »
I was just wondering this!  I am INFP and have been since 18 with small changes.  This means that I have the perfectionist tendency without (for me, at least) the judgment that leads to consistently rational choices.  The "P" is low--1%--so I have tested INTJ before, but not often.  I do the test yearly with my students.

As my friends know, and the type description suggests, I can be wholly engaged in and talented at chosen projects, but also struggle to finish them occasionally.  Details are not my strong suit, which is consistent with the INFP profile.  However, I appreciate MMM's statements regarding personal choice and habit-forming, and definitely believe people can change. While I have heard that it helps to have a partner who complements you if you're more impulsive, I have read many "success stories" from single Mustachians.

How would you suggest re-entering the Mustachian mindset if you've been gone?  I'm in a new place and find myself unusually concerned with what people think, since I have yet to meet a Mustachian.  Any tips as to how to re-integrate Mustachian ways into my life without giving a crap what others think?  Any tips on how to socialize with more spendy expats (I am in Beijing)?  And how much do you think personality has to do with frugality and early retirement--can people succeed at it who are not INTJ? ;-)

Interesting questions ajhostet.
(I am an INF/TJ - I tested as F when younger but now repeatedly test as a T, but only just. )
For me the best mindset is to regard the whole thing as a real life game to see how I can reduce expenses without reducing happiness ( and preferably increasing it). Automate savings if you can and just live on the rest.

Whilst it dovetails nicely with INTJs, I think any personality can do this if they want: MB is about preferences, not absolutes and  one school of thought is that one should try to develop the opposite axis so you become more versatile and balanced FWIW. For example I find  bothering with details such as tracking tedious, but I do it anyway. An S will probably be fine with detailed tracking.

As an INFJ I've always known I am different to most people but tried to blend in - The logic of the T now assists me to be more comfortable in being different.  "I don't have to pretend to be like them, because I'm not and thats OK. If they have a problem with that, that's their problem not mine".

There are a few mustachians in Bejing on the forum - Llamo is (and Expartist I think is in Bejing). Why don't you start a thread on expat life in Bejing and see what comes up

JennieOG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2014, 05:21:45 AM »
I am an INTJ, which according to the test, is rare among women.  I think this personality type must be suited to Mustachianism somehow!

tomq04

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
I am an INTJ, which according to the test, is rare among women.  I think this personality type must be suited to Mustachianism somehow!

I've found it's most forum folks are  INTJ, quest for knowledge and all.  I rarely come across any ENFP's in the online world...i'm unique :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »

I've found it's most forum folks are  INTJ, quest for knowledge and all.  I rarely come across any ENFP's in the online world...i'm unique :)

Hey there - I am an ENTP, bordering on ENFP. I read both descriptions in your link and I think I fit both!

I like these parts of the description that fit in with FIRE:

ENTP:
With their innovative, entrepreneurial spirit, Inventors are always on the lookout for a better way, always eyeing new projects, new enterprises, new processes.

Inventors are keenly pragmatic, and often become expert at devising the most effective means to accomplish their ends.

They are the most reluctant of all the types to do things in a particular manner just because that's the way they have been done.

Inventors are usually non-conformists in the workplace, and can succeed in many areas as long as the job does not involve too much humdrum routine.

Inventors display an extraordinary talent for rising to the demands of even the most impossible situations. "It can't be done" is a challenge to an Inventor and elicits a reaction of "I can do it."

ENFP:
Like the other Idealists, Champions are rather rare, say three or four percent of the population, but even more than the others they consider intense emotional experiences as being vital to a full life.

Fiercely individualistic, Champions strive toward a kind of personal authenticity

I figured I had to stand up for ENTPs and ENFPs since everyone says you have to be an INTJ to go after FIRE. Sigh...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:11:11 PM by Daisy »

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2014, 06:55:39 AM »
For example I find  bothering with details such as tracking tedious, but I do it anyway. An S will probably be fine with detailed tracking.

ISFJ here, and I LOVE detailed tracking. To each their own, right?

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
INFJ here.

tracylayton

« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
I am a female ISTJ...only on this forum, would so many people know their Myers-Briggs type!!! A large % of the population have probably never heard of it.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
+1 INTJ, female.  See?  I'm special!  Just like everyone else!

Married to a ESFJ, which makes for some very interesting conversations.  I'm an architect ( guess I should be a INTP) and he's a massage therapist.  We actually label ourselves as 'head' and 'heart' based on our different thinking and communication styles.  Traditional gender roles are almost completely reversed in our relationship, but it works for us.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »

Huh well according to the Chinese restaurant placemats I'm a rooster and they also quest after knowledge so that makes sense.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »

I'm an INTJ also...very happy to have found my tribe! I scored pretty high as INFJ, but T is stronger especially the older I get (and the less I try to make myself someone I'm not).

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
+1 female INTJ..... See? I AM trendy!

looking for FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »
I have consistantly tested ESTJ, maybe that is why I have trouble cutting my "entertainment" budget. I have a strong desire to be involved in outtings with friends/family/co workers.

One Day

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2014, 05:24:42 AM »
Yet another INJ (nearly even T and F) female. Researcher married to a psychologist, so we balance each other nicely.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2014, 05:33:47 AM »
I only discovered this matrix fairly recently,  and scored a solid INTJ.  I've never considered myself an introvert, just anti social (in no small part to people telling me that's what I am).

I guess as humans we crave a label,  but it has given me some pause for thought.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2014, 05:42:43 AM »
I'm an INFP and married to an INTJ.  MMM appeals to my idealism and my desire to get hubby retired very early (I don't work) and it appeals to my husband who loves efficiency. 

And if I can be so lucky to never grace a cubicle again, so be it.  I'd rather be an Aldi's cashier than work a desk job again.  Ugh. 

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »
My wife and I are both INTJs, which makes for an interesting dynamic. I'm more into MMM and frugalism (if that's a word...) than she is, but she's also into it a little.

In case folks are interested, a few famous INTJs are: Augustus Caesar, Peter Jennings, Rudy Giuliani, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Presidents Jefferson, Polk, Kennedy, and Wilson.

I think the INTJ's tencency to be systems thinkers and see a bigger picture fits very well with the idea of FI. The theory is simple yet complex, and we can conceptualize out 10-15 years into the future to see where our actions now take us. Add 2 to the INTJ tribe!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Yet another INTJ female.  Fun to be part of the crowd seeking out and applying Mustachianism!

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
E(33%)N(62%)F(38%)J(1%)

Seems to be quite uncommon in these parts.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:55:59 PM by Less »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:28 AM »
James Polk and Augustus Caesar took the Myers-Briggs test? I bet they fist-bumped when they realized they got the same type!

sirspiffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:19 PM »
ENTJ up in this.  What a thoroughly concentrated group of rare types.  If only we could focus the energy and skill into a cohesive mission.  My vote is making the very best beer ever.  Failing that world peace and prosperity should be easy.  I think one precludes the other however, and first things ought to come first. 

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, Cultural Anthropologist

Lifeblood

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
INTJ

Introvert(100%)  iNtuitive(62%)  Thinking(12%)  Judging(67%)

Artemis67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »
I'm yet another female INTJ, albeit a fine arts/humanities type.

My I, N, and T preferences are all very strong, but my J/P preference is extremely weak, and I've always had to answer a tiebreaker question to get one or the other result. The description of INTJ fits me much better than INTP, however.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
I got another INTJ female here, good for engineering and sciences.

However, I am marginal on the "I" and the "N", and in fact, most times I take the MB test I come up "ESTJ", but marginal on the "ES".

I think part of it is changes in my career - I used to be a hard-charging manager of many. But changes in the landscape of late have seen me be reorganized 5 times to where now I manage nobody (and I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing).

So I have fallen back to working on things that I "know" and am comfortable with - and have been enjoying more solitary time (walks and such).  I think that shows in my answers.

"INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake."

I don't really keep trying to improve things - when it's "good enough" I move on.  But if it's NOT good enough, I work on it!

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2014, 06:03:29 AM »
Just took two of them to see if the results were different.  They are, kind of.

I (100) N (50) T (88) J (56)
I (100) N (78) T (57) P (53)

So it's probably one of those.  Definitely one that starts with an I.

raylit20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »
ENTJ male here.

The forums certainly appear to be full of statistical outliers. Very curious...

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »
INTJ!  Woot!

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »
ISFP
Introverted 57%
Observant 18%
Feeling 28%
Prospecting 21%

Interesting result, as an IT Software Developer I don't really see myself as an artist.  I went in expecting INTJ as it seems everyone else is here.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!