Author Topic: Our New $10.00 Per Month iPhone Plans  (Read 68214 times)

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Our New $10.00 Per Month iPhone Plans
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »
*phew* finally made the switch to Airvoice $10/month plan! That was more of a headache than I bargained for.

It all started last month when I was following MMM's instructions to switch over from T-Mobile (I have an unlocked Nexus One, and I don't care about the 3G incompatibility). I got the SIM card and filled out the port your number form, but I kept screwing up.

You have to call Airvoice to figure out what went wrong with the port, and their phone lines are always jammed. I have to wait between 3 and 10 minutes every time I call. The first time, they told me I didn't have the PIN correct. I thought it was my voicemail PIN; nope, it's something different. I called T-Mobile and found out the PIN is the last 4 digits of my SSN; good to know! But by the time I figured this out, I had just started a new month of T-Mobile service, and they don't prorate when you cancel. So instead of wasting money porting right then I decided to wait a few weeks and enjoy my data that I had just paid for.

Then, a week in advance of my billing cycle date, I tried to port again. It didn't work, again; I called Airvoice, sat on hold for 10 minutes, and found out that the account number was wrong. T-Mobile account numbers show up on your billing statement, or on the my.t-mobile.com website when viewing your bill. Once found, I gave Airvoice the correct account number over the phone.

The next day (today), still no port! I called again, waited 10 minutes, and found out they couldn't do the port because I activated the SIM I bought from them. Despite everything the instructions that come with the SIM say, do NOT go online to activate the SIM card! Since today was the close of my T-Mobile billing cycle and any additional delay would cost another $60, I had to get this resolved; I went to the nearest AT&T store and talked one of the store employees into giving me an unactivated AT&T SIM card. AirVoice will accept unactivated SIM cards from AT&T, but as a rule they are not supposed to do this. I had to be super vague and annoying to the poor store employee who kept wanting to activate the SIM for me, but I insisted that I was going to "do it over the phone," conveniently omitting the fact that I wasn't buying AT&T service. With the new SIM in hand, I called Airvoice again, waited only about 5 minutes this time, gave them the new SIM ID, and the port went through!

I'm just glad this whole mess is done, and that I'll get to stash an extra $40-50/month from now on. Lesson learned: I should have called T-Mobile to get the account number and PIN from them, instead of guessing. I wish I had known the SIM activation was irreversible, or I'd have logically tried porting before activating.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
I am working on the switch to Page Plus (Airvoice/AT&T/T-Mobile/everyone-but-Verizon is sketchy inside the walls of my house, somewhere I would like my phone to work).  The only issue is that I also will be needing to replace my 4 year old phone and am unsure of the sequence of events.

Do I?
-Buy a new phone and port the number direct to it? (Is this possible? I would be getting a non-PP phone, but compatible)
-Port with current phone and figure out how to switch phones when it dies?
-Port number with current phone than switch to the new phone?

The new phone isn't strictly necessary immediately, but it is imminent.  I'd rather replace while I have the time to research and do it right rather than have to hurry to replace my line of communication.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
*phew* finally made the switch to Airvoice $10/month plan! That was more of a headache than I bargained for.

-snip-

I'm just glad this whole mess is done, and that I'll get to stash an extra $40-50/month from now on. Lesson learned: I should have called T-Mobile to get the account number and PIN from them, instead of guessing. I wish I had known the SIM activation was irreversible, or I'd have logically tried porting before activating.

Glad to hear your finally got it sorted out and dealt with. Although I will admit that most of this stuff has always struck me as a given on the process, it's clear I should clarify a bit better for the future for others on what is needed to port numbers out of your current carrier, and not to do things like activate SIM cards until you're ready to either port your number or start your account.

I will admit though, the number porting info by carrier has been something I've wanted to add to the wiki (along with a lot of other stuff) for a while now... I just haven't been able to find the time yet. My apologies.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
I think the biggest failure is with Airvoice. As a software/web UI designer, no one in their right mind should put up a form with 10-15 fields that each have very little explanation. It's like the when an online merchant asks for a credit card's CCV code; a novice internet consumer has no idea what this is, so they show a little picture or link next to the field to explain how the user can go about finding this information. That's exactly what Airvoice should be doing on their port your number form.

The SIM card activation is mostly my fault, I knew right after I did it and got a phone number assigned that I probably messed up. But as I said, I was reading through all the materials that came with the card and they kept saying the next step was to go online and activate it. Oh well.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
I am working on the switch to Page Plus (Airvoice/AT&T/T-Mobile/everyone-but-Verizon is sketchy inside the walls of my house, somewhere I would like my phone to work).  The only issue is that I also will be needing to replace my 4 year old phone and am unsure of the sequence of events.

Do I?
-Buy a new phone and port the number direct to it? (Is this possible? I would be getting a non-PP phone, but compatible)

The new phone isn't strictly necessary immediately, but it is imminent.  I'd rather replace while I have the time to research and do it right rather than have to hurry to replace my line of communication.

Technically, options two and three appear to be one in the same. It will be more complicated to switch phones after the fact, but not impossible. Personally, unless you're just hemorrhaging money with Verizon, it might be worth it to take the time to line up your new phone now before porting and activation unless you just want to run your current phone to the point of failure. As you're dealing with CDMA equipment and carriers instead of GSM, this will simplify the process as you'll only have to deal with them once (or until you move on to another phone) as you'll simply activate the new phone at the same time as the service.

As for what Verizon phones will be eligible for activation with Page Plus, let's go over the relatively accepted "do not" list:
  • Do not try to activate a phone with a bad ESN. The ESN is the device's serial number, and can be ineligible for activation due to unpaid subsidy or ETF fee, theft, or sometimes due to being a refurbished device. Your seller should be willing to provide you your ESN before purchase to check eligibility here.
  • Do not try to activate a Verizon prepaid model handset, it is ineligible.
  • Do not try to activate a Sprint, Cricket, Boost Mobile, Virgin Wireless, MetroPCS, or any other CDMA branded handset outside of Verizon. Their ESNs are not in Verizon's (and subsequently Page Plus') databases and are therefore ineligible to activate.
  • Do not try to activate a Blackberry device, Page Plus is not provisioned for BIS.
  • Do not try to activate any Verizon 4G LTE devices (Verizon SIM card), they are not supported on the network.
  • Do not try to activate any iPhones, there's an agreement between Apple, Verizon and Page Plus that is technically in effect banning them from use with P+. That said, some people have been able to bring over their iPhone 4/4S devices and even successfully activated them through Page Plus directly... just be aware that if they enforce this restriction and catch you, you'll lose your account, phone number, and will get the phone's ESN blacklisted.
That covers the major points. Kitty Wireless is a good P+ reseller to work with, and if you have any questions, they've got a good forum community.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
I think the biggest failure is with Airvoice. As a software/web UI designer, no one in their right mind should put up a form with 10-15 fields that each have very little explanation. It's like the when an online merchant asks for a credit card's CCV code; a novice internet consumer has no idea what this is, so they show a little picture or link next to the field to explain how the user can go about finding this information. That's exactly what Airvoice should be doing on their port your number form.

Somewhere on this forum, I did a form fillout for KulshanGirl. *digs around* Here, this should explain things a bit better. In their defense, they typically encourage number porters to call over filling out the form online... the online form is designed more for resellers.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
Personally, unless you're just hemorrhaging money with Verizon, it might be worth it to take the time to line up your new phone now before porting and activation unless you just want to run your current phone to the point of failure. As you're dealing with CDMA equipment and carriers instead of GSM, this will simplify the process as you'll only have to deal with them once (or until you move on to another phone) as you'll simply activate the new phone at the same time as the service.

I'd be leaving the family plan and striking out on my own (and potentially helping them cut the cord if this works), so time isn't a terribly big concern.  Unfortunately it makes even the "cheap" plans look expensive.  I was all set for Airvoice, bought the SIM card and everything, without realizing that they don't play nice with CDMA devices.  I gave the card to a friend and put it on the back burner.

As for what Verizon phones will be eligible for activation with Page Plus, let's go over the relatively accepted "do not" list:
  • Do not try to activate a phone with a bad ESN. The ESN is the device's serial number, and can be ineligible for activation due to unpaid subsidy or ETF fee, theft, or sometimes due to being a refurbished device. Your seller should be willing to provide you your ESN before purchase to check eligibility here.

This is the only one that worries me - specifically the refurbished device part.  I'm leaning towards a smart phone for basic apps and I've found some good deals on refurbished pieces (HTC Incredible for $80 instead of $160). Although looking at the 2 year manufacturer defect warranty from Kitty Wireless and help with transferring over  . . .

I came across them in my phone comparison travels but didn't look at their Page Plus offerings in depth.  Ultimately I just need to decide whether a smart phone is worth the cost - but given that I want it primarily for budgeting and price checker apps it might just pay for itself ;-)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2013, 06:24:25 PM »

This is the only one that worries me - specifically the refurbished device part.  I'm leaning towards a smart phone for basic apps and I've found some good deals on refurbished pieces (HTC Incredible for $80 instead of $160). Although looking at the 2 year manufacturer defect warranty from Kitty Wireless and help with transferring over  . . .

I probably should have better defined the context of that refurbished phone bit in that point. The only phones that might have difficulty activating due to a bad ESN in this category are phones that were busted and factory refurbished under warranty then used as a replacement handset for another defective model under contract. Handsets like that should flag a bad ESN on the Verizon site when you check. Regular refurbishment on out of contract/used devices through third party resellers are usually fine. Help make things a bit easier for you?

Keep in mind, too, that most Ebay electronics purchases have additional "warranty" options as well, though I don't think they're typically worth the money, and given it being a CDMA handset would be deeply inconvenient if you needed to try and collect on it due to their repair or replace policies.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »
Help make things a bit easier for you?

Keep in mind, too, that most Ebay electronics purchases have additional "warranty" options as well, though I don't think they're typically worth the money, and given it being a CDMA handset would be deeply inconvenient if you needed to try and collect on it due to their repair or replace policies.

Yes it does, thank you.  I'm asking for an Ebay seller to verify the ESN of a refurbished phone right now (large 3rd party reseller) just for piece of mind.  I can't stomach paying double on a phone when it isn't necessary. 

*I got through page 8 of the super-guide and it was wonderfully helpful!

LizzyBee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
My husband just bought a Iphone 5 and renewed his contract with Sprint. :( It was seriously a week before I found this blog and read about the $10 Iphone plan. I looked up the plans listed in the blog post under Sprint and it doesn't seem like any of them will allow you to use the Iphone. I could be wrong, though, as I'm technologically challenged. Anyone have any advice or plans that will work with a Sprint Iphone 5? I've skimmed through all of the comments here and on the original blog post, but a lot of it is Greek to me.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
My husband just bought a Iphone 5 and renewed his contract with Sprint. :( It was seriously a week before I found this blog and read about the $10 Iphone plan. I looked up the plans listed in the blog post under Sprint and it doesn't seem like any of them will allow you to use the Iphone. I could be wrong, though, as I'm technologically challenged. Anyone have any advice or plans that will work with a Sprint Iphone 5? I've skimmed through all of the comments here and on the original blog post, but a lot of it is Greek to me.

Nope, sorry. Apple hardware on Sprint's pretty much a one way shafting. Best you can hope for is to sell it and the contract off to some other chump person with lousy math skills and go to Virgin and one of their iPhones if you insist on sticking with both the iOS platform and the Sprint network. Honestly, it's probably not worth it.

Quick thought, though... you say the time span was only a week. I think Sprint has a two week return window, but check. You might have an out if you HURRY.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:01:26 PM by I.P. Daley »

retiredmtber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:42 AM »
I looked through the previous posts and did not see this question, apologies if I missed it.

I had a dumbphone until a bit over a year ago when I purchased a used HTC MyTouch off of Ebay to use with TMobile prepaid. I am usually either at home or at a place with wifi so I figured that would be a perfect match. Unfortunately, if I use wifi it still reduces my TMobile prepaid balance unless I take out the sim card.

Do you know if it is possible to use my HTC with AirVoice or would I need to purchase a different smartphone? I am not a very sophisticated user and the HTC is fine for me since I am used to it.

Thanks

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
I looked through the previous posts and did not see this question, apologies if I missed it.

I had a dumbphone until a bit over a year ago when I purchased a used HTC MyTouch off of Ebay to use with TMobile prepaid. I am usually either at home or at a place with wifi so I figured that would be a perfect match. Unfortunately, if I use wifi it still reduces my TMobile prepaid balance unless I take out the sim card.

Do you know if it is possible to use my HTC with AirVoice or would I need to purchase a different smartphone? I am not a very sophisticated user and the HTC is fine for me since I am used to it.

Thanks

That sounds a bit screwy, honestly. You're 100% certain that the 3G data is off and the WiFi connection is on when you do this, correct?

Anyway, yes... you could take the phone over to Airvoice if the phone is carrier unlocked. T-Mobile will likely have to unlock it for you. However, there's also Platinumtel, which is a T-Mobile MVNO. You could technically use them without carrier unlocking your phone first, and they're relatively competitively priced.

retiredmtber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2013, 07:03:27 AM »
IP Daley,

I am pretty certain. At the time, I thought there was something I was doing incorrectly when I noticed the balance being reduced and posted a query on howardforums and someone replied that TMobile did this and it was in their terms when I signed up, I had not noticed.

The phone is unlocked but I may just use Platinumtel - thanks for the recommendation. I have a balance on my prepaid Tmobile that I need to use up before I switch.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
IP Daley,

I am pretty certain. At the time, I thought there was something I was doing incorrectly when I noticed the balance being reduced and posted a query on howardforums and someone replied that TMobile did this and it was in their terms when I signed up, I had not noticed.

The phone is unlocked but I may just use Platinumtel - thanks for the recommendation. I have a balance on my prepaid Tmobile that I need to use up before I switch.

Yeah... reports of this sort of thing (random surcharges, etc.) were trickling in the past few months and are starting to increase with prepaid T-Mo users now that they've eliminated their subsidized plans. It's a little sleazy and unfortunate, but not unexpected. This is one of the reasons why I'm such a vigilant terms of service reader and point out reading them to others.

Hopefully and typically, number ports between mobile phones (and especially within the same network) should go pretty rapidly, and the wireless industry typically aims for around 2.5 hours, but there's no hard time limit on how long it can actually go. I just mention it to be aware if you plan on taking your number with you so you don't potentially lose it... and make sure you have all the accurate and necessary info going in and don't activate the SIM card without porting first.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:02:54 AM by I.P. Daley »

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2013, 08:33:11 AM »

Do I?

Technically, options two and three appear to be one in the same. It will be more complicated to switch phones after the fact, but not impossible. Personally, unless you're just hemorrhaging money with Verizon, it might be worth it to take the time to line up your new phone now before porting and activation unless you just want to run your current phone to the point of failure. As you're dealing with CDMA equipment and carriers instead of GSM, this will simplify the process as you'll only have to deal with them once (or until you move on to another phone) as you'll simply activate the new phone at the same time as the service.

• Do not try to activate a Verizon prepaid model handset, it is ineligible.
    • Do not try to activate a Sprint, Cricket, Boost Mobile, Virgin Wireless, MetroPCS, or any other CDMA branded handset outside of Verizon. Their ESNs are not in Verizon's (and subsequently Page Plus') databases and are therefore ineligible to activate.
    • Do not try to activate a Blackberry device, Page Plus is not provisioned for BIS.
    list]
    • Do not try to activate any Verizon 4G LTE devices (Verizon SIM card), they are not supported on the network.
    • Do not try to activate any iPhones, there's an agreement between Apple, Verizon and Page Plus that is technically in effect banning them from use with P+. That said, some people have been able to bring over their iPhone 4/4S devices and even successfully activated them through Page Plus directly... just be aware that if they enforce this restriction and catch you, you'll lose your account, phone number, and will get the phone's ESN blacklisted.
    That covers the major points. Kitty Wireless is a good P+ reseller to work with, and if you have any questions, they've got a good forum community.

Specifically regarding the 4G devices, when I sent an email to Pageplus asking if I could BYOD my Galaxy Nexus, I didn't get an outright "NO", I just got a standard 'we cannot guarantee a non approved device will work on the network".  I know I won't have access to the 4G LTE network when I switch, but do you think there will be other issues with porting that phone?  I was going to do it today...

Daley

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #116 on: March 15, 2013, 03:06:14 PM »
    Specifically regarding the 4G devices, when I sent an email to Pageplus asking if I could BYOD my Galaxy Nexus, I didn't get an outright "NO", I just got a standard 'we cannot guarantee a non approved device will work on the network".  I know I won't have access to the 4G LTE network when I switch, but do you think there will be other issues with porting that phone?  I was going to do it today...

Officially, there's no support for LTE smartphones, period. As far as I know, even without the LTE service, they simply cannot be provisioned without modification. I'm aware that some have jumped hoops and firmware flashed devices to make LTE equipment usable on Page Plus, but as far as I'm aware, the devices as bog standard stocked from Verizon simply will not work as it requires modification by a dealer who knows how to do it.

Here's an excellent thread over at the Kitty Wireless forums on the subject.

adam

• Bristles
    « Reply #117 on: March 16, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »

Officially, there's no support for LTE smartphones, period. As far as I know, even without the LTE service, they simply cannot be provisioned without modification. I'm aware that some have jumped hoops and firmware flashed devices to make LTE equipment usable on Page Plus, but as far as I'm aware, the devices as bog standard stocked from Verizon simply will not work as it requires modification by a dealer who knows how to do it.

Here's an excellent thread over at the Kitty Wireless forums on the subject.

You're right, I couldn't activate the phone.  The support guy did mention that I might be able to get it to work if I flashed it, but could not elaborate beyond that.  I'll need to check your links...

adam

• Bristles
    « Reply #118 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
    In the meantime I switched to my Droid2 and activated that today.  The same day, it so happens, Verizon announced that the Nexus was finally getting Android 4.2.2.  Their update cycle was one of many reasons I finally decided to pull the plug.  Now I wonder if I can still get that update with the device de-activated.  I can still use it as a handy pocket computer without the cellular connectivity after all.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #119 on: March 19, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
    In the meantime I switched to my Droid2 and activated that today.  The same day, it so happens, Verizon announced that the Nexus was finally getting Android 4.2.2.  Their update cycle was one of many reasons I finally decided to pull the plug.  Now I wonder if I can still get that update with the device de-activated.  I can still use it as a handy pocket computer without the cellular connectivity after all.

Yup. All you need is a network connection as the updates are not strictly OTA. A WiFi connection while dialing *#*#checkin#*#* (or *#*#2432546#*#*) will be plenty.

adam

• Bristles
    « Reply #120 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
    I got the update last week.  I sold the phone today. I have to give it a factory data reset tonight and mail it out tomorrow.  So far I haven't missed my old verizon plan at all.  Pageplus has been doing just fine.

adam

• Bristles
    « Reply #121 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
    Almost one month in and I just loaded two new PagePlus $12 plan pins onto our phones.  My wife's expires Sunday and mine on Monday.  By pre-loading the PINs they should automatically renew for us on the expiration dates.  So, how has it been?

First, the numbers:
    Both $12 Plans came with 250 Minutes, 250 Texts, and 10MB data.  We are both using 'smart' phones, although I did sell my newfangled Galaxy Nexus and went back to my Droid 2.  Here is what remains as of Thursday:

Me:
    181 minutes / 67 texts / 8.23MB
    Wife:
    198 minutes / 169 texts / 9.45MB

Before I made the switch I thought I would need the $29 plan with the 300MB data, but since I was barely going to break even with that I decided I would suffer with the $12 myself to speed up the savings point.  And you know what? It hasn't been a problem.  I use free wifi where it is available while we're out, and otherwise, I just haven't had a need for data.  I haven't needed to map anything, I just make sure I prepare a bit beforehand (and we already both have GPS's in the vehicles).  I haven't even really needed to check email, I did maybe once or twice which is why I used ANY of the data.  I simply turned off mobile data access for both phones and it hasn't been a problem.  I do sit in front of a computer the majority of the day anyways, and we have a home phone for any meaningful conversations, so it hasn't been nearly as painful as I thought.

The biggest surprise for me was that when you sign up with a regular plan with a big company like verizon, you know your $115/month is going to end up being $130 a month after taxes and fees.  So I assumed the $12 plans might end up costing $15 or even $20.  Turns out $12 is $12.  There are no additional taxes or fees.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Also, when I loaded our first PINs they left each phone with a $2 'balance'.  Does that mean these $12 plans are actually $10?  The balance doesn't expire for 4 months, so depending on what happens when  the plans reset this weekend, will I have a $4 balance?  At some point I might be able to just load a $10 cash balance into each phone (vs an actual plan) and "skip" a month.  I'll know more next week I guess if each phone then shows a $4 balance.

So I guess the bottom line is I'm pretty happy with the new plans and I don't really miss the data as much as I thought I would.

I DO miss my Nexus as the Droid is definitely slower and not as capable.  I don't like using it as much.  Part of me wonders if I should look for a cheap replacement but for right now I'm just going to stick with it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #122 on: April 11, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »
    Excellent report, Adam! As to your question:

Also, when I loaded our first PINs they left each phone with a $2 'balance'.  Does that mean these $12 plans are actually $10?  The balance doesn't expire for 4 months, so depending on what happens when  the plans reset this weekend, will I have a $4 balance?

That $2 balance is just a new customer thing that they do so you can try the service out without sinking any real credits into it.

If you find that the plan you're on is still too much, look into their $80/2,000 minute/365 day credit pay as you go cards (dealer offered only). Page Plus will charge you 50¢ a month for service, but that still leaves $74 worth of credit across a year. Voice and text are 4¢ each, but data's $1/MB. Kitty Wireless has the things, and even offers auto-refill options for your account. Just be sure to crunch the usage numbers to make sure it'll be worth it as that's only about 154 minutes/texts a month available across a year. By your wife's usage numbers, though, she might be able to get away with it.
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:35:41 AM by I.P. Daley »

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #123 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
    Excellent report, Adam! As to your question:

Also, when I loaded our first PINs they left each phone with a $2 'balance'.  Does that mean these $12 plans are actually $10?  The balance doesn't expire for 4 months, so depending on what happens when  the plans reset this weekend, will I have a $4 balance?

That $2 balance is just a new customer thing that they do so you can try the service out without sinking any real credits into it.

If you find that the plan you're on is still too much, look into their $80/2,000 minute/365 day credit pay as you go cards (dealer offered only). Page Plus will charge you 50¢ a month for service, but that still leaves $74 worth of credit across a year. Voice and text are 4¢ each, but data's $1/MB. Kitty Wireless has the things, and even offers auto-refill options for your account. Just be sure to crunch the usage numbers to make sure it'll be worth it as that's only about 154 minutes/texts a month available across a year.

I was wondering about that $2 as well, especially because your positive balance is in red on your account page.  That has been my only complaint so far.

At the end of my month I have remaining.

7 min/45 texts/8.8 MB data 

My phone usage has been especially high this month (plus the "ooh a new smartphone" usage), but even if I go over here and there I don't think I will reach the point where it is worth moving up to their next highest plan.  I added a $10 cash balance for that situation.

I'm still waiting for the next month's pin to activate - supposedly my current month expires today and the new one is scheduled to start today.  I assume that this will happen at midnight. 

adam

• Bristles
    « Reply #124 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
    After re-loaded two new $12 pins for our two phones I got curious to see how long we were going to take to break even.  I ended up writing this email to my wife:
    Then because I'm a nerd I did a quick spreadsheet.  If we had stayed with verizon from March through January (our contract end date) it would have cost us $1430.  Pageplus is costing us $264.  That is a savings of $1166, or $956 when you subtract the ETF fee we paid for your phone.  I consider mine $0 now because I sold my Galaxy Nexus for the cost of the ETF.

March through April we would have spent $260 on verizon.  Instead we spent $48+$210 (your ETF) = $258.  So we already broke even at the end of April by switching.  From May till January it will cost us $216 to keep going as we are.  Verizon would have cost us $1170.  A savings of $954.

I'd say it was a good choice.

So we already broke even last month (2 months total).  That was a pleasant surprise.  I got lucky in that I was able to sell my incompatible 4G phone for the same cost as the ETF, but that's not to say others could easily do the same.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #125 on: May 09, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
    After re-loaded two new $12 pins for our two phones I got curious to see how long we were going to take to break even.  I ended up writing this email to my wife:
    Then because I'm a nerd I did a quick spreadsheet.  If we had stayed with verizon from March through January (our contract end date) it would have cost us $1430.  Pageplus is costing us $264.  That is a savings of $1166, or $956 when you subtract the ETF fee we paid for your phone.  I consider mine $0 now because I sold my Galaxy Nexus for the cost of the ETF.

March through April we would have spent $260 on verizon.  Instead we spent $48+$210 (your ETF) = $258.  So we already broke even at the end of April by switching.  From May till January it will cost us $216 to keep going as we are.  Verizon would have cost us $1170.  A savings of $954.

I'd say it was a good choice.

So we already broke even last month (2 months total).  That was a pleasant surprise.  I got lucky in that I was able to sell my incompatible 4G phone for the same cost as the ETF, but that's not to say others could easily do the same.

Congrats!