Author Topic: Our New $10.00 Per Month iPhone Plans  (Read 68175 times)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Our New $10.00 Per Month iPhone Plans
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »
Well, it's been a solid day since MMM posted this topic, and I've been lurking and posting more to that article comments thread than I've ever done with any other trying to help answer questions and clear up some confusion. Overall, I found some themes to the replies and I figured I'd help address them and try to answer any other questions that might be had for those who would like them as I've a fairly solid grasp of the MVNO wireless market in the US.

For those who missed the link in the article, he did link to the Communications Superguide here in the forums. For those of you who haven't found it yet, you should give it a look. Good news is, for those who finds this enormous wall of text far too daunting to tackle, I'm actually in the process of re-organizing it into a very robust and complete wiki as time permits. It's still very incomplete and a little rough as it only currently covers some of the larger MVNO and prepaid players on the market currently, but it will be expanding in scope and detail as I have the time to update and edit.

I also posted a first of three in-depth articles covering some of the biggest questions and comments I noticed come out of his thread to my newly launched blog. The first one addresses usage patterns, the term "unlimited" in packages, and terms of service agreements. You might want to give it a read if you've got a few outstanding and more technical questions.

Anyway, let's talk cell phones! Let this be an opportunity to have a more lively discussion and perhaps help pick out some of the information from the other threads that might have been lost in their thread length or post age.

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Our New $10.00 Per Month iPhone Plans
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
Question about this plan.

I am not a heavy cell phone user, and basically would only use this for emergencies. I probably wouldn't even bother if it was just the ability to call that I was getting.

However, the one "data element" I'd want to use is some variety of GPS/google maps service so I can get real-time directions while biking or walking around.

Does some sort of GPS app function with this plan?

If so, at what rate is data (in MBs) used up by the app?

How quickly would you go through your $10?

Thanks.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »

I am not a heavy cell phone user, and basically would only use this for emergencies. I probably wouldn't even bother if it was just the ability to call that I was getting.

However, the one "data element" I'd want to use is some variety of GPS/google maps service so I can get real-time directions while biking or walking around.

Thanks.

Get this plan for your phone, then a cheap GPS on Craigslist for $20 or whatever.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »
That thread prompted me to think about actually entering the smart phone era.  I use about 300 minutes and 400 texts max per month (usually around 200 min and 200 texts on the high side if we're including all calls and both ways for texts) so I feel like I'm a good candidate for this kind of plan.  I just have no idea how much data I would use.  I haven't wanted to get a data plan with current big-plan costs so I've put it off.  I would only use a couple of apps - price checker, budgeting tool, e-mail, planner - most of which I can use on wifi only.  How can I get a good sense of how much data I would use? 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »

Thanks.

Data works with this plan from Airvoice at about 33¢ per MB, so $10 only buys you ~30MB of data. Fortunately, the data offered is network neutral so they don't block anything like Nokia or Google Maps access (or anything else for that matter). I've used Google Maps on rare occasion with both a Blackberry and an Android handset on Platinumtel and it's never really burned off more than about a half megabyte, but I've never used it for ongoing directions either... just quick references when lost to get un-lost. I would have to second Rebel's suggestion of getting a used offline Garmin or TomTom for what you're wanting to do.

If $10 a month still feels too expensive for you, you don't want to just stop carrying a phone, your phone usage is well under 100 minutes a month, and you're in a good Sprint coverage area, you might want to look into Platinumtel. You'd have to buy a new phone if you're currently with a GSM carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile), but Platinumtel is running a special currently on a refurbished Sanyo Mirro (dumbphone or feature phone) for $40 with a free $50/6 month calling card and free shipping, so the ROI on buy-in to switch is already $10 in your favor out of the gate and given their $10 refill cards last 90 days, you can skate by for as little as about $3.50 a month on average with the time rolling over for when you do need it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
That thread prompted me to think about actually entering the smart phone era.  I use about 300 minutes and 400 texts max per month (usually around 200 min and 200 texts on the high side if we're including all calls and both ways for texts) so I feel like I'm a good candidate for this kind of plan.  I just have no idea how much data I would use.  I haven't wanted to get a data plan with current big-plan costs so I've put it off.  I would only use a couple of apps - price checker, budgeting tool, e-mail, planner - most of which I can use on wifi only.  How can I get a good sense of how much data I would use?

There's no simple answer to that question short of just doing it. Fortunately, most of what you're talking about as far as apps that need network access to work sounds like low-cost data traffic without much image/media traffic riding with it (e-mail, price checker). I use e-mail a fair bit on my own phone (K9 Mail), and sync status usually isn't more than a couple kB at most unless there's a message. I can't speak to the data usage of a price checker, though. The biggest thing is just to make sure that the apps you install don't get network access on anything but WiFi connections or eat data unless you're actively using them.

For my primary usage (e-mail, Kik, light image-free internet browsing), I don't really use more than about 10-15MB a month on my Android phone (Samsung Intercept - rooted), and I consider that number heavy. But I also don't use my phone heavily when I'm out an about... it's a high-priority communicator first and foremost. I also don't mind as much about the usage level because my data's only 10¢/MB through Platinumtel.

You could certainly cut down on your texting habit by talking friends into using stuff like Kik to help offset the data costs, though. Compared to data costs even at Airvoice's 33¢/MB, 2¢ an SMS message at a size of 140B is an absolute ripoff.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:33:17 AM by I.P. Daley »

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
Do you or anyone else have a suggestion for a small GPS that would be convenient to take on bike trips in my pants pocket or backpack?

The ones found in most cars tend to be pretty big. I'm looking for something roughly the size of a smart phone, and rechargeable via USB cable or wall plug (not via the lighter plug in your car, as most seem to be).

Thanks.

Get this plan for your phone, then a cheap GPS on Craigslist for $20 or whatever.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 06:01:54 PM »
Do you or anyone else have a suggestion for a small GPS that would be convenient to take on bike trips in my pants pocket or backpack?

The ones found in most cars tend to be pretty big. I'm looking for something roughly the size of a smart phone, and rechargeable via USB cable or wall plug (not via the lighter plug in your car, as most seem to be).

I'm not a huge GPS guy myself, as I tend to roll old skool with my maps: free paper maps from the local Chamber of Commerce and/or Rand McNally fold-ups. As such, take my following suggestion with a grain of salt and/or hold out for someone who owns a good GPS unit to reply. You'd probably want some sort of water resistant handheld hiking style GPS unit, and then find some sort of handlebar bike mount for the thing. I unfortunately can't recommend any particular models specifically, not that you'd be likely to find it cruising Craigslist anyway.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »

I'd just keep checking Craigslist until you find one that fits that criteria.

If you live in an area where your CL isn't big enough, then you may want to research models and eBay a used one.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 275t that is fairly small, the wife and I took it with us when backpacking Europe, so I'm picturing something like that.  Just something to avoid the data plan on the phone, basically, since a GPS has free maps and turn by turn directions.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »
this is my early report about using Airvoice:
I signed up my husband and myself a couple of weeks ago, and dropped our att plans. Combined we were paying 120$ for my husbands dumbphone and my iphone with unlimited talk,text and data. My kids used to stream stuff on my phone all the time and sometimes Id use 2-3 Gb (I think thats the terminology!) But my husband is a very light user of the phone and often his minutes would be under 20 per month.

So I got him the pay as you go for 10$, and 3 wks later, he is still ok, has minutes left.

I go the 10$ a month plan which is 4c/min talk and 2c/text.
I had to re-up once and again ran out today, at which I point I called and switched myself to the 40$ unlimited text and talk and 25 MB data.

We dont have a landline and no VOIP set up (yet). Trying to keep under my minutes was a nightmare. I guess I talk a lot! :) The other thing is, I am an at home mom, and we homeschool. Ironically, that means that we are not actually home much at all. We are always out and about, coordinating meetups and drop offs and confirming carpools and etc. Oh, and right now, I do work in the afternoons, with my kids, as a caregiver, so I do have to talk a few times a day with that. So, the minimal plan didnt work for me.

also, everytime Ive added minutes, there is a charge of some sort. online it was 50c a transaction. When I called today, they charged me 2$ as a phone fee for the refill. also, when I called today, I was on hold, the first time for 5 min. the second time for 13. frustrating, if you are paying by the minute!

also, I dont think the call quality is the same as when I had att. its not Horrible, but its not great.
Still a lot cheaper, but dont know if its going to be my plan forever.

N

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
this is my early report about using Airvoice:
I go the 10$ a month plan which is 4c/min talk and 2c/text.
I had to re-up once and again ran out today, at which I point I called and switched myself to the 40$ unlimited text and talk and 25 MB data.

We dont have a landline and no VOIP set up (yet). Trying to keep under my minutes was a nightmare. I guess I talk a lot! :) The other thing is, I am an at home mom, and we homeschool. Ironically, that means that we are not actually home much at all. We are always out and about, coordinating meetups and drop offs and confirming carpools and etc. Oh, and right now, I do work in the afternoons, with my kids, as a caregiver, so I do have to talk a few times a day with that. So, the minimal plan didnt work for me.

This is why you should go through old cell phone bills before switching to see what your normal usage patterns are and selecting an MVNO provider and package that better fits that usage pattern if you can't do usage discipline or offload to a VoIP line at home.

also, everytime Ive added minutes, there is a charge of some sort. online it was 50c a transaction. When I called today, they charged me 2$ as a phone fee for the refill.

Are you purchasing your airtime directly from the Airvoice website? I triple checked with my mother on this and went through her Visa statements. She's only been billed $10 for all three of her $10 Talk & Text cards purchased off their website. If you bought from Airvoice directly, I'm guessing your 50¢ charge was either for sales tax for the state you're in (if you're in Michigan or another state where Airvoice has a physical presence or is required to charge sales tax) or it's some sort of oddball unrelated credit card charge. The $2 fee for airtime credit purchased over the phone doesn't surprise me as although they do not outline the specific charge anywhere, they do recommend against calling for airtime purchases, and in their Terms of Service they state there may be additional fees for "maintaining service" under the "Additional Charges (when available)" section. It was either a convenience fee (possibly) or a plan switch fee (more likely).

also, when I called today, I was on hold, the first time for 5 min. the second time for 13. frustrating, if you are paying by the minute!

Two things: 1) If you dial 611 from your handset instead of the 800#, you shouldn't be billed for airtime. 2) You called the fourth business day after MMM posted an article detailing how Airvoice Wireless is his new wireless provider. Odds are, they got hammered with an influx of new subscribers. Normal wait time isn't that bad.

also, I dont think the call quality is the same as when I had att. its not Horrible, but its not great.
Still a lot cheaper, but dont know if its going to be my plan forever.

They're reselling bulk AT&T service airtime, so there shouldn't be any call quality difference between domestic AT&T and Airvoice calls excluding international. I won't rule the possibility out entirely as AT&T can do some insulting things to their customers, but perceived call quality can be very subjective and is frequently linked with one's overall satisfaction... and this post sounds like you're just a bit frustrated.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:48:40 AM by I.P. Daley »

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »
Im actually not really upset about anything...just reporting my experience.
Yes, the times I bought the refills it was directly on the airvoice site, they sent me a pin and then I had to dial that into my phone. It was 50cents per. Im in Illinois.
As for call quality, its been a little echo-y. Maybe I just never noticed it before.

I knew I used a ton of data, and I accepted I would be only using wifi for the near future. That part was ok. However, I do think a tiny allowance for data is going to be very helpful because Im out so much. to look up something or track a bus.

as for the minutes...well I did look at my history and saw my total minutes used was averaging about 200. I think, though, that was the total minutes used and on the prepaid,  a call that is 20seconds still uses up one minute of time. misdials, getting vm, my sister calling me 3 times in five minutes...all added up.

40$ is still better than what my plan was on att. and I dont mind trying to use it less, but trying not to use it at all was stressful.

N

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »
40$ is still better than what my plan was on att. and I dont mind trying to use it less, but trying not to use it at all was stressful.

At $40/month you might be better off with one of the $30/month T-Mobile prepaid options (They have a low-minutes + unlimited text/data plan and a many-minutes/texts but low-data plan at that price point): http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans.  If you're on an iPhone you'd have to live with "2G" speeds until some time next year.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
I created a google spreadsheet that helps you determine whether or not to switch phone plans. It takes into account the cost of a new phone and any early termination fees. Then it tells you the number of months before you'll break even on a new plan:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edGh1RzJrZFVwSUZZYVcyaUJVQkpfdnc

Let me know what you think, or if you have any problems using it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
I created a google spreadsheet that helps you determine whether or not to switch phone plans. It takes into account the cost of a new phone and any early termination fees. Then it tells you the number of months before you'll break even on a new plan:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edGh1RzJrZFVwSUZZYVcyaUJVQkpfdnc

Excellent and clever little tool there, Yolfer! Mind if I link the thing over on the wiki?

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »

At $40/month you might be better off with one of the $30/month T-Mobile prepaid options (They have a low-minutes + unlimited text/data plan and a many-minutes/texts but low-data plan at that price point): http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans.  If you're on an iPhone you'd have to live with "2G" speeds until some time next year.

but I have an att iphone. I went with airvoice since the phone transferred. my husband may be getting a free iphone from his brother soon thats also an att. we may still change in the future, I guess. Im new to all this!

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 12:57:55 AM »

That's awesome! Hero points! Can I share this all over the place? If you turn it into a link from a blog post I can send people to your site first so the link-love thing happens. Let me know. Thanks.

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
but I have an att iphone. I went with airvoice since the phone transferred. my husband may be getting a free iphone from his brother soon thats also an att. we may still change in the future, I guess. Im new to all this!

ATT iPhone is ideal for this.  If you're already using it on Airvoice I'm assuming it's unlocked (if you didn't have any problem setting up MMS it should be unlocked).  All you need is a T-Mobile prepaid micro-SIM ($0.99 directly from T-Mobile).  You can get started by looking through the (officially) unofficial T-Mobile iPhone support documentation here, probably best to start with the "Setup Guide."

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
Hey! 

I saw this post and resulting forum feed and wondered if anyone could give any suggestions. 

I'm in phone-transition and trying to figure out what to do with things: currently I'm on a voice-only plan with Sprint; $30/month, but it gives me unlimited talk time during evenings and weekends, which I use extensively and often for hours at a time to talk to family and friends.--I've never really gone the skype/etc. route, since I have a strange compulsion to walk while talking to people, and so generally take my evening/weekend perambulation while catching up with my family. 

However, I'm in the midst of moving.  Among other things, I'll need to set up internet in my house at some point.  I'm also working at a job that requires you to dress up in funny clothes and stand around in a sterile zone for hours at a time watching other people work: the only thing you can bring in with you (ironically) is a phone. 

So, for the first time in my life I'm considering buying a smartphone, mostly to be able to check e-mail/read MMM and other blogs/etc to alleviate boredom during work.  I was considering buying a data-only phone with a hotspot so that it could be a portable internet and also at-home internet, but the only package I found for that was AT&T and it was $50, AND the amount of internet you get is limited.  Argh. So I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to keep my cell phone plan, add on a bit of data for staving off boredom, and still set up a home internet, or whether I should go cable free.

Do smart phones work OK for doing old fashioned things like talking on them for extended periods of time?  I don't really care about texting.   RIght now I don't really use the internet for watching...anything...I intend to just get local channels on the TV and otherwise use the library.  Any suggestions would be welcomed! 

Thanks, everyone!

Tracy

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »

ATT iPhone is ideal for this.  If you're already using it on Airvoice I'm assuming it's unlocked (if you didn't have any problem setting up MMS it should be unlocked).  All you need is a T-Mobile prepaid micro-SIM ($0.99 directly from T-Mobile).  You can get started by looking through the (officially) unofficial T-Mobile iPhone support documentation here, probably best to start with the "Setup Guide."

no, its locked still. didnt set up the MMS.

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
no, its locked still. didnt set up the MMS.

IMEI unlocks are down to around $5 on eBay if you don't want to wait or are getting the runaround from AT&T on unlocking your iPhone.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 11:20:14 PM »

Excellent and clever little tool there, Yolfer! Mind if I link the thing over on the wiki?

Sure!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »

That's awesome! Hero points! Can I share this all over the place? If you turn it into a link from a blog post I can send people to your site first so the link-love thing happens. Let me know. Thanks.

It didn't even occur to me to blog it! I guess I've been keeping my MMM life and my blog life separate. Time to change that....

Here ya go: http://foundryintheforest.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/should-i-stay-or-should-i-go/

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
For anyone interested, I brewed up a non-Google Spreadsheet version of Yolfer's calculator:

http://www.techmeshugana.com/tools/wirelessroi.html

Enjoy!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
For the Canadians looking for alternative carriers from Bell, Telus and Rogers:
http://www.techmeshugana.com/2012/10/dial-c-for-canada-eh/

It's not the greatest analysis of alternatives, but it's a start. Sorry I can't provide much better than I have yet.

Quote from: Dial C for Canada, eh!
So, what sort of options are there for you fine hosers? Well, there’s more than you think! Upon my cursory examination, the major prepaid players in Canada appear to be Solo Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Fido, NorthernTel, PC Mobile, chatr wireless, Koodo, Wind Mobile, Mobilicity and Petro-Canada as the major players. I’m not too familiar with the landscape up there wireless telecom wise yet, so if you need details on caveats and issues with carriers and coverage, I would highly recommend a good long look at Howard Forums Canadian standard and prepaid wireless forums.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
As an unexpected extension to Yolfer's initial tool, I wrote a post analyzing and dissecting the possible costs of breaking contract and how to put those costs into perspective for the calculator... basically allowing you to work out the price of freedom that the contract has put on your head.

http://www.techmeshugana.com/2012/10/gotta-get-away/

Hope some people find it useful as a point of empowerment to face those Early Termination Fees without fear.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
@I.P. Daley , I posted a thread a while ago asking folks for advice about getting someone to assume a contract - not for a cell phone, but for my Samsung tablet. 

Here's the original post: 
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/selling-electronics-and-their-contract/msg28197/#msg28197 

I haven't done anything about it since then, but would still like to eliminate that monthly expense.  Reading the post on your blog, I see you mentioned the idea of trading off the contract to someone else and even linked to a website.  Can Canadians use those sites?  Can you use them for tablets as well as phones?  What about Craigslist or similar sites?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »
PJ: I've never used Cell Plan Depot myself (for those wondering what she speaks of), but from what I know of it, should be a pretty low-risk venture. You'll note that they handle Canadian plans as well, including Rogers... and it handles all devices with a wireless carrier contract.

The only thing you really need to do is just find someone willing to take over the contract and have them sign the appropriate Transfer of contract Responsibility (TOR) forms with Rogers. You can do that through Craigslist, private party, Cell Plan Depot... whatever you like, it doesn't matter. You just need to find the initiative to do something about it and a pigeon with good enough credit and a case of technolust to take the device off your hands and sign their own soul away for the remainder of the contract.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
You just need to find the initiative to do something about it and a pigeon with good enough credit and a case of technolust to take the device off your hands and sign their own soul away for the remainder of the contract.

Perhaps I'll word it a little differently when I post on Craigslist though, eh?  LOL! 

Seriously, thanks for responding.  If my day tomorrow goes as planned, I'm going to stop off at a Rogers store on my way home from work to clarify the details of my contract and check out prices of the devices and so on, so that I can include all the relevant details in my ad. 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »
FYI: Airvoice Wireless does not work with Verizon devices.  :-(  "It might, but we can't help you troubleshoot"

beecom99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
question on MNVO-suitable phones from a cell phone newbie.

i'm very excited about the affordability of MNVOs, but i find the number of brands, models and features of phones completely overwhelming.

i'm thinking these are the core features i would like and prefer Android: touch screen, wifi, 3G, decent battery life.

is a used or refurbed unlocked phone with those features for $100 or less feasible and what are some suggestions for a place to shop for one that would work with Airvoice?

thanks!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 07:33:53 AM »
question on MNVO-suitable phones from a cell phone newbie.

i'm very excited about the affordability of MNVOs, but i find the number of brands, models and features of phones completely overwhelming.

i'm thinking these are the core features i would like and prefer Android: touch screen, wifi, 3G, decent battery life.

is a used or refurbed unlocked phone with those features for $100 or less feasible and what are some suggestions for a place to shop for one that would work with Airvoice?

thanks!

The LG Optimus One (unlocked), officially supported by CyanogenMod (if you want to bother updating the OS), currently running $115 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LWZLWE/

Battery life is a whole issue unto itself with smartphones, and you'll never get as good as with a feature phone. The cheaper the device, the shorter the lifespan, too. You should be able to get a couple three days of standby with light usage off the LG, though.

As for Airvoice compatibility, any unlocked GSM phone on the 850/1900MHz (US GSM) bands should be fine. Remember though, if you're looking to start fresh with an equipment purchase, look at the CDMA/Sprint MVNO side as well with outfits like Platinumtel. They don't have any Android handsets currently, but give them time. Give the Superguide a read to see what options you have available, as with MVNO there's really no one-size-fits-all solution for everyone and some providers might be cheaper and more convenient than others for your particular usage patterns.

FYI: Airvoice Wireless does not work with Verizon devices.  :-(  "It might, but we can't help you troubleshoot"

Yup. CDMA phones are not compatible with the GSM network. Now, there's "CDMA world phones" that also have GSM support, but they're usually only very specific models of Blackberry devices (I've not seen many CDMA/GSM hybrid Android phones or otherwise) and they still require the original MNO carrier (such as Verizon or US Cellular) to unlock that feature. Unfortunately, Blackberries don't really work on MVNOs due to their need for BIS to enable internet functionality, and without internet, the Blackberry is just an overly complicated feature phone.

If you're coming from Verizon and you're out of contract with them, look into Page Plus. They're the recommended option for Verizon refugees who don't want to invest in new handsets.

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »

thank you for this. I got my phone unlocked and plan to switch over at the end of my current cycle!~

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
thank you for this. I got my phone unlocked and plan to switch over at the end of my current cycle!~

Awesome!  Good luck and happy savings...

trinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a novice at smartphone technology, so I have a few questions...

If you have an Iphone from Verizon that's still under contract, which prepaid carriers can you take it to if you break your contract?

Does this mean, it will have now have a BAD ESN?

If you have a phone with a BAD ESN, can you still activate it with a prepaid carrier?

Thanks!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
If you have an Iphone from Verizon that's still under contract, which prepaid carriers can you take it to if you break your contract?

Does this mean, it will have now have a BAD ESN?

If you have a phone with a BAD ESN, can you still activate it with a prepaid carrier?

1) None. Verizon iPhones are technically restricted to Verizon postpaid only due to a deal between Apple and Verizon, blacklisting all ESNs from activation through MVNOs.
2) It will if you break contract and you don't pay off your ETF (early termination fee).
3) No. Even if it wasn't an iPhone, the ESN will be blacklisted from activation on an MVNO like Page Plus if the ETF is not paid at point of departure, and would technically have to be resold as having a bad ESN.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:10:13 PM by I.P. Daley »

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »
1) None. Verizon iPhones are technically restricted to Verizon postpaid only due to a deal between Apple and Verizon, blacklisting all ESNs from activation through MVNOs.
2) It will if you break contract and you don't pay off your ETF (early termination fee).
3) No. Even if it wasn't an iPhone, the ESN will be blacklisted from activation on an MVNO like Page Plus if the ETF is not paid at point of departure, and would technically have to be resold as having a bad ESN.

Mostly true but if its not an iphone 5 (no 4g phones) we can move it over to page plus pretty easily. It does have to have a good esn.

On another note page plus just upped the data on the $30 plan. Its now 1200 min 3000 texts 250mb data. Maybe not the cheapest but a good medium package.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »
Mostly true but if its not an iphone 5 (no 4g phones) we can move it over to page plus pretty easily. It does have to have a good esn.

I'm guessing this happened right after the iPhone 5 dropped? Last I checked about two months ago, the iPhone 4 models were still verboten on Page Plus without jailbreaking and rewriting the ESN. Good to know.

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
Not sure if I should post this here or in the guide, but a new T-Mobile MVNO "Ultra Mobile" (ultra.me is the site) just debuted.  I'm personally very interested in their PAYGO plan (which is supposed to launch in the next few days) as it offers 4.9c/text, 4.9c/min talk, 4.9c/MB data.  For those using moderate amounts of data this would beat the pants off the Airvoice PAYGO (33c/MB).  Only drawback is that super-light users can only get the monthly cost down to $8.33/mo (versus $4.33/mo for Airvoice).

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »
doing research on plans. right now I have the airvoice 40$ unlimited talk and text, plus 25 mb data.
I havent been getting any texts lately-they are not coming thru and people have not gotten mine. Also, my data isnt set up properly so it still doesnt work. I tried to call av today but they said I have to call on another handset so they can trouble shoot my iphone. didnt have another phone handy, so I will try to do it tomorrow.

my alternative is to try t-mobile. the comparable plan is no contract, 30$ for 1500 talk and text (combined) and 30 mb data.
however, as far as I can tell, that is before taxes and fees. I dont know exactly how much those will be, Im guessing 20% or so.

I havent used non-wifi data in over a month now, but I do miss it. Im feeling tempted to upgrade, but am trying to quash those feelings.
if I did, itd be between AVoice 50$ unlimited talk n text plus 500 mb and TMobiles unlimited tnt plus 100mb "fast" and unlimited slow (not sure of the distinction, and I have a iphone 3Gs so I wouldnt get 4G anyway)

thoughts?

is it worth switching to tmobile for a savings of 3 or 4 $ a month (not sure what the extra fees are) if it were really 10$ cheaper, Id do it.

but the other question is why isnt my texts coming thru and can I really get data on it thru AV....

N

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
Starting-

http://www.airvoicewireless.com/support/phone-support/iphone/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell/msg16298/#msg16298

Start there. If your iPhone's not already unlocked, you may run into some problems configuring data. MMS messaging is dependent upon a properly configured data APN for the carrier and is usually used on the iPhone for multimedia messages (images, music, etc.) as well as for sending multi-recipient or longer SMS messages under iOS. Note too that MMS costs more to send via Airvoice (or any prepaid) than SMS does (about 5x the cost).

As for your question, you'll run into the same issues with TMo until you work out how to reconfigure your APN. Taxes normally aren't really very high on prepaid phone services.

N

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
thank you. yes, its unlocked. I called today and they walked me thru setting up my apn. texting now works. texting worked fine before I upgraded to the data plan. they said it shouldnt use data to do normal texts tho. after setting up the data apn thing, I did make sure to turn off my data so its not continuously drawing.

I have one day left before my airtime runs out. guess I need to call tmobile and ask them how much the taxes are. their sim card is free when you sign up, so it shouldnt cost me to switch if I choose to.

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
Note too that MMS costs more to send via Airvoice (or any prepaid) than SMS does (about 5x the cost).

Are you sure about that?  The Airvoice site shows 10c/MMS sent/received:

(live link):

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
Are you sure about that?  The Airvoice site shows 10c/MMS sent/received:

Quite sure. You're quoting their flat pay as you go rates at 10¢ per anything but data, which not many people are likely using given the rates, especially given what's also available from them. Their $10 Talk & Text plan is five times the price, and you'll note that 10¢ an MMS is pretty standard with the other MVNO carriers (H2O, P'tel, etc.).

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »
Ah, got it.  For my usage habits nothing but PAYGO makes any sense so I didn't pay much attention to what the monthly plan cost structure was like.

EricR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Here's a suggestion for saving on your data plan:  install and use the Opera Mini web browser.  It uses compression to reduce the amount of data used as you browse the web.  You can read more about it here:  http://www.opera.com/mobile/

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »
Here's a suggestion for saving on your data plan:  install and use the Opera Mini web browser.  It uses compression to reduce the amount of data used as you browse the web.  You can read more about it here:  http://www.opera.com/mobile/

Alternately, you can utilize the Dolphin browser and simply turn off loading images while on wireless data. Uses even less bandwidth and there's far less of a privacy concern with a data harvesting issue passing all your traffic through Opera Software ASA's servers. Better interface, too, IMHO.

EricR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
Alternately, you can utilize the Dolphin browser and simply turn off loading images while on wireless data. Uses even less bandwidth and there's far less of a privacy concern with a data harvesting issue passing all your traffic through Opera Software ASA's servers. Better interface, too, IMHO.

I think that if you are concerned about privacy you should use Opera Mini.  If you do, your ISP (which knows your identity), won't be able to track your browsing.  With respect to privacy I am much more concerned about my ISP than Opera.

Here's Opera Mini's privacy policy:  http://www.opera.com/privacy/#operamini

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 11:59:51 PM »
I think that if you are concerned about privacy you should use Opera Mini.  If you do, your ISP (which knows your identity), won't be able to track your browsing.  With respect to privacy I am much more concerned about my ISP than Opera.

Here's Opera Mini's privacy policy:  http://www.opera.com/privacy/#operamini

Let's agree to disagree as I don't see you budging, but let me at least lay out the logic to my thought process.

I try to pick my battles wisely, and governments will suss out whatever they want if it comes down to it. Opera has to roll over just as easily as your ISP does, they say as much in the very page you link. However, corporations that make money hand over fist selling your "anonymized" user information for the benefit of incredibly minor conveniences on the other hand... that is something one can have a greater control over. Why should a web browser even need a privacy policy unless there's potential data collection that one should think about the impact of participating in anyway? Unfortunately, it's a reality that's hard to escape with mobile browsers. Dolphin harvests as well, but they do detail how and why and aren't analyzing every last bit of traffic you use through a proxy server for advertisers just to reduce a bit of bandwidth with GZIP and image resizing. The less thumbs in your pie, the better. The images, even in this case, are still the bulk of your data usage anyway... so why not use a browser that makes it easier to disable images, renders pages on smaller screens better, has a cleaner UI, and harvests less of your usage data as well?

It's just an alternate thought and equally valid approach to your proposal to reduce data usage.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I re-reviewed the massive pre-paid thread and this is what I gather, correct me if I'm wrong.

If I have verizon phones now, and want to keep them, I need to go with a verizon compatible pre-paid service, and the phones may not be eligible to transfer over. (Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rhyme).

Given my plan $117 (drops to $107 next month) before taxes and whatnot, according to the spreadsheet below with $500 to cancel and a new phone cost of whatever defaulted in there ($300+), I break even in 12 months.  My contract expires in 13.

So I should probably wait?