Around the Internet > Continue the Blog Conversation

Mr Money Mustaches 2016 budget- ??? does not insure house

(1/11) > >>

skp:
I'm new here.  Can anyone tell me why Mr Money Mustache does not insure his home?  Personally I would prefer to be self insured for the replacement value of my home.   But I'm terrified of not having liability insurance.  Especially with his net worth, isn't he afraid?  I see that I was not allowed to ask him about it so I am asking you. :)

MarciaB:
It seems like an odd risk to me too, I've always questioned that decision. Guess he figures he has so much money he can self-insure.

ketchup:
His house, his rules.  I don't know if I'd be ever comfortable with that, but my perspective is so different that it's hard to relate.

Optimiser:
He mentioned the liability issue in the comments:

"Right – the key is that no genuine person would actually hurt themselves on my property and want me to pay – because I don’t maintain a grossly negligent and dangerous property.

If such a lawsuit was filed, it would have to be by an opportunistic, dishonest dickhead. Our judges are trained to recognize and not reward this type of exploitation of our legal system. So they wouldn’t win the suit, but I might be out some legal bills. However, I have an amazing law firm (thanks to this blog), and the incident would give me months or years of interesting stories to tell – and the writing would more than pay for the legal work :-)"

tooqk4u22:

--- Quote from: Optimiser on May 25, 2017, 05:39:17 PM ---He mentioned the liability issue in the comments:

"Right – the key is that no genuine person would actually hurt themselves on my property and want me to pay – because I don’t maintain a grossly negligent and dangerous property.

If such a lawsuit was filed, it would have to be by an opportunistic, dishonest dickhead. Our judges are trained to recognize and not reward this type of exploitation of our legal system. So they wouldn’t win the suit, but I might be out some legal bills. However, I have an amazing law firm (thanks to this blog), and the incident would give me months or years of interesting stories to tell – and the writing would more than pay for the legal work :-)"

--- End quote ---

Except that it happens all the f'in time because the world is full of dickheads and lax legal system....one trip and fall is all it takes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version